Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Thread: How do you get MSE/Microsoft Security Essentials to load at startup?

Hybrid View

Question How do you get MSE/Microsoft Security Essentials to load at startup?

(Why is there no Software forum here?)

(On XP Pro SP3). Can anyone please tell me why Microsoft Security Essentials refuses to load at startup? I've gotten so fed up with Kaspersky Internet Security that I had to disable it. So I need replacements. MSE seems to work great (of course only for AV and malware) and it passes tests I threw at it. But even with its Service set to Automatic, I have to manually click its icon each time I start my PC for it to load! I see nothing in the settings or config on how to get it to load at startup like any other AV or anti-malware program!

*I can't put its shortcut in the "Start Up" folder because that would cause the program interface to open up each time my PC starts then I'd have to close it.

Under MSCONFIG it does not show up there! So there's no box I can check. Right now I'm trying to find a way to edit the MSCONFIG "Startup" tab so I can add it but I'm still trying to find a way to do that. (I'm still searching through the Registry right now).

*I've had to temporarily do that ^ and only after doing that did I see an entry for it in MSCONFIG's Startup tab, but again the problem of having to close the interface every time I start my PC is going to happen.

When I start the PC, and when I look at the Task Manager, the only thing running is its Service (MsMpEng.exe) and msseces.exe never loads until I click the icon. Just after I start the PC and when I look at the Task Manager, for a moment or so in addition to MsMpEng.exe I also saw MpCmdRun (which is the "Microsoft Malware Protection Command Line Utility"). It stayed there for a minute, then vanished. Never any 'msseces.exe'.

So how are you supposed to get it to start or load when your PC starts?
    Thanks.

One thread I found here indicated someone had the same or similar issue. The suggestion was to completely uninstall MSE, then reinstall it - which worked for this user for some reason. Other suggestions I found were kind of technical and really, as anyone would expect, this program should run without issue at boot up. So, even though this fix seems a little trivial, it may be as simple as uninstalling and then a reinstall.
    Hidden Content Markham
    Hidden Content Web Design
    Online SEO Hidden Content Markham.

(Well I see the "Quick Reply" area around here has also been screwed up! No formatting tools! I had to go to "Advanced". EDIT: Now it's back to normal! ).

Thanks for the reply. I lucked out and was able to fix this by manually adding a Registry key. I looked at the other things in Msconfig's Start Up tab, their locations, then added this to the Registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run]
    "MSC"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Security Client\\msseces.exe\" -hide -runkey"

I restarted, and now it's loading as it should. But I am at a loss as to why I had to do this.

I have no idea what's going with "Current" in "CurrentVersion" above! I've tried and tried to remove that space, when I go to edit the post, the space isn't there! Lots of going on here!
    Last edited by weegillis; 04-07-2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: edit attempt

Hey LD when did you become a mod? Maybe you can delete that post above, and also please see this post, you may have some suggestions. Also, the formatting tools are gone once again on the Quick Reply area! Refreshing won't fix it, they only return after I return from the Advanced Reply page.

Thanks.

I guess I hang out here too much and it looked like I needed something to do?

Post removed.

A Software sub forum sounds like a natural fit for the Computer Assistance forum. I'd suggest posting in the Suggestion forum here.

In making a direct Quick Reply, I have access to limited formatting for fonts, adding links, adding images etc. Is this formatting not available to you when making a Quick Reply?
    Hidden Content Markham
    Hidden Content Web Design
    Online SEO Hidden Content Markham.

Quote Originally Posted by LD View Post
    I guess I hang out here too much and it looked like I needed something to do?
    Nice addition.

Post removed.
    Thanks.

A Software sub forum sounds like a natural fit for the Computer Assistance forum. I'd suggest posting in the Suggestion forum here.
    Ok will do.

In making a direct Quick Reply, I have access to limited formatting for fonts, adding links, adding images etc. Is this formatting not available to you when making a Quick Reply?
    This is how it looks:

But again, coming back to the page after coming from Advanced Reply, it all looks normal!

Also, the IMG tags' dialog box still doesn't work. I have to add them manually. The box flies down to the bottom of the page, and the page keeps spontaneously increasing vertically to infinity with the box always just off the screen!
    Last edited by Clint1; 04-07-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Regarding the screenshot above, I just noticed that I can hover the areas that would normally have the B, or I, or U, etc., and see what they are. The labels are all missing, but the hover text works. I did this post using the Quick Reply, and just using a mouse hover to find the correct formatting buttons.