Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Thread: Email send and file

Email send and file

I've been using Lotus Notes for email for many years, first in the corporate environment and later when I was on my own. I use the Lotus Notes client stand alone for all my business email.

A function I use constantly is the Send and File function, which lets you save an out-going email to the folder you choose. So, for example, all my incoming and outgoing email related to a particular client is in one place. This is very much following the model of the hardcopy letter filing process, which I like. I want all correspondence for a client in the same place.

Except for a clunky add-on for Outlook, which may or may not be available if I upgrade Outlook, I haven't seen this function with any other email program. Many have the ability to indicate a reply, giving you sort of a thread, but it isn't the same.

It is difficult to get maintenance and upgrades for standalone Lotus Notes client. IBM isn't real interested in selling single licenses of this. In fact, the last few times I've asked for pricing I haven't gotten even a polite response. So I'd like to move to something more standard for the future.

Suggestions? Thanks!
    Smokie
    Hidden Content (old age satire) - Hidden Content (rant, or good advice)

Rest in Peace 1946 - 2013 deepsand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kateson
    Use Gmail or Hotmail they both are easy to connect to other and sent them file or an document easily ..!!
    Do learn to read and think about the OP's quest before posting useless suggestions.

Neither Gmail nor Hotmail provide the ability to "save an out-going email to the folder you choose."

You can use outlook, you'll need to add a VBA code that allow you to redirect the outgoing mail to a folder of your choice. Google it to see some sample VBA codes.
    Its probably doable with a macro as well (although I didnt try that option).

I'm not a big fan of local email clients, because of security reasons. If you're running an exchange server, make sure you have a good AV running on it.

Thanks for the suggestion, but as per my initial post, I consider the VBA code for outlook to be clunky. Not reliable and locks up often. Although I agree there are some security issues with local email clients, there are also security issues with web/cloud email, just different. One key reason I want my email on my local machine is to ensure that I have the history under my control. I back it up along with all my other data regularly.
    Smokie

Is using rules-based sorting of outgoing missives feasible? If so, Outlook provides for that.

Quote Originally Posted by deepsand View Post
    Is using rules-based sorting of outgoing missives feasible? If so, Outlook provides for that.
    To do that would require a rule for every client, which is about 100.

I was hoping someone would point out a stock alternative, since I can't imagine doing business without this function. Doesn't everybody file their hardcopy stuff by client (or topic)? Why wouldn't you want to do this with your emails? Maybe I'm not seeing the benefits of the alternatives, many of which I've tried.
    Smokie

This can be done in Thunderbird "if" you are sorting your email as it comes in. I have each client set up with their own personal folder. Any email 'from' them is automatically stored there till I get a chance to read it using inbound mail rules. This makes it easy to ignore incoming email from people I don't like too

Then, in the Account settings area of Thunderbird go to your email account, Copies & Folders section. In there the 4th option down is a checkbox called 'Place replies in the folder of the message being replied to'. Tick that checkbox. Now when I reply to that person the sent mail is stored there right next to the original.
    You can't create artful marketing with color by number seo

Re. Thunderbird, what about outbound messages other than "Replies," i.e. those that are "New" or "Forwarded?"

And how does it handle instances where there are multiple recipients by way of "To," "CC" and/or "BCC?"

Quote Originally Posted by SmokieMac View Post
    Except for a clunky add-on for Outlook, which may or may not be available if I upgrade Outlook, I haven't seen this function with any other email program.
    Just came across this review. Hoping that this is not the "clunky add-on" you refer to.

Track Your Sent.

Track Your Sent adds a button that appears on all new messages you create, allowing you to set its category and folder before sending it.

... does include an option for dealing with messages that you reply to or forward.
    There are two version: one for Outlook 2003/2007, and one for Outlook 2010.

Vendor page at http://www.emailorganizer.com/products/download_tus.php
    Last edited by deepsand; 04-23-2012 at 04:23 AM.

Thanks for the reference, and, No, this isn't the particular add-on I was talking about. However it a basic (IMHO) flaw: you have to go back after you've sent the email and manually move the sent email from the SENT folder to, in this case, virtual folders. The other add-on does let you do a sort-of send and file but it is awkward and is buggy code. Thanks anyway.

For now, I'm sticking with stand-alone Lotus Notes Client and hoping I don't need to upgrade my computer any time soon.
    Smokie