Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need Wordpress SEO help with nofollow pages & tags

I need Wordpress SEO help with nofollow pages & tags

Hi There,

I have a Wordpress blog with a page rank of 2. I've nofollowed the categories and I need help. If you don't mind I have some questions about Wordpress SEO.

1- Is it better to add nofollow for contact-us and about-me pages?

2- Is it good to block them by robots.txt by disallow? Is this the same as nofollow?

3- I have about 6 tags for every post, is it better to add nofollow for tags?

4- What do you think about comments? If I allow comments or post comments will I get better result in google?

5- If I nofollow links such as contact-us and tags, does this mean Google will not give them Page Rank but Google will index them?

Sorry for asking much and hope to get the right help in your forum.
    Last edited by rah; 03-30-2012 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Fix some grammar for index.

Quote Originally Posted by Seleno View Post
    Hi There,

I have a Wordpress blog with a page rank of 2. I've nofollowed the categories and I need help. If you don't mind I have some questions about Wordpress SEO.

2- Is it good to block them by robots.txt by disallow? Is this the same as nofollow?

4- What do you think about comments? If I allow comments or post comments will I get better result in google?

5- If I nofollow links such as contact-us and tags, does this mean Google will not give them Page Rank but Google will index them?

I'll save you some time here. Google changed their algorithm a while ago to stop PR sculpting. There is no need to no follow links. Waste of time. All links are added up and the PR divided evenly among them. The ones that have "no follow" are tossed. So if you have 10 links with two no follows, the remaining 8 will still only transfer 1/10th of the pages PR and not 1/8th as intened.

Personally I use every page on a site as a potential conversion point. A contact page can rank well and even convert if done correctly. Don't waste your pages.
    Last edited by claybutler; 03-30-2012 at 03:49 PM.

3. The following user agrees with claybutler:
    When you no follow a link, Page Rank does not flow to the link from the page that had the no follow link. It could still gather Page Rank from other sources. You might look for a Matt Cutts video where he talks about no follow tags. As far as the page rank sculpting of interior pages, he doesn't recommend it.

[QUOTE=claybutler;610932]So if you have 10 links with two no follows, the remaining 8 will still only transfer 1/10th of the pages PR and not 1/8th as intened.

QUOTE]

Clay, is that the actual amount of Page Rank that gets transferred? 1/10 of the Page's PR?

[QUOTE=newoptimizer;610934]
    Quote Originally Posted by claybutler View Post
    So if you have 10 links with two no follows, the remaining 8 will still only transfer 1/10th of the pages PR and not 1/8th as intened.

QUOTE]

Clay, is that the actual amount of Page Rank that gets transferred? 1/10 of the Page's PR?
    No, 1/10th per link (100 percent dived by 10). So by doing "no follow" on two you effective toss that 20%. It used to be that the 20% would be absorbed by the remaining 8 links thus making them each worth 1/8th of the pages PR value. But that's not true anymore. So the remaining 8 are still only worth 1/10th each. So it's a waste of time.

Also "no follow" is a propriety tag that Google invented. It means whatever they say it means. Right now it means almost nothing as far a PR sculpting goes. Personally I want every page to have a high PR value and rank well. I have no wasted pages.
    Last edited by claybutler; 03-30-2012 at 03:59 PM.

I understand about the PR lost through no follow. I was just curious as to the percentage of PR that is available to be passed onto other pages/sites. Perhaps Google doesn't actually state what percent of PR that is passed to other pages..

Quote Originally Posted by Seleno View Post
    Hi There,

If you have a small unestablished site I would not be concerned with trying to PR Sculpt your site, that is best done with large sites where they can place NOINDEX | NOFOLLOW, say on a testimonial page. I have used the nofollow only and it will stop the PR flow to that page, but Google will still index it. I wouldn't put nofollow on the contact us page, I would leave it alone, if it was a login or register, then sure, you could do that Googlebot would never try to register on your page. Again, I would not be that concerned about place nofollow or trying to PR sculpt, I would leave as is and build you site up with a lot of great content.

As far as comments if you have a blog, then I personally think you should leave the comments open, of course you can have the comments nofollow to prevent spammers and others draining your blog page, but that is reason for a blog is to share others opinion about your blog topic and if the topic is good enough others will link to it.

If by chance you do want to use the nofollow tag on unimportant pages the top ones are usually these: login-register, testimonials, privacy policy and/or terms of service.
    Last edited by commodityman; 03-30-2012 at 04:05 PM.
    More than just savings at Hidden Content to find the best deal today.

Quote Originally Posted by newoptimizer View Post
    I understand about the PR lost through no follow. I was just curious as to the percentage of PR that is available to be passed onto other pages/sites. Perhaps Google doesn't actually state what percent of PR that is passed to other pages..
    They don't have to state it and the percentages don't really matter is the concept as the same, but logic tells you it's close to a straight division of total PR value divieded by number of links. But that doesn't matter. What matters is PR sculpting is a waste of time.

10. The following user agrees with claybutler:
    Quote Originally Posted by newoptimizer View Post
    As Clay says, take those numbers as simple examples only, not hard fact. We do know that location on page can affect the value of a link. An in content link is worth more than a footer link etc etc etc. But the concept is still the same.
    You can't create artful marketing with color by number seo

I use the nofollow to cut down on the possibility of duplicates, 404s and to not follow external links like affiliate etc. I no longer use tags at all. Make sure you use the description (custom fields).
    In search of the self determined path

13. The following user agrees with dgswilson: