Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More optimization ?

More optimization ?

Hi,
    Can anybody help me, i want to know that is more optimization is harmful for our site.

Hi David. I'm not sure I understand your question.

Are you referring to the latest buzz doing the rounds from Matt Cutts at SXSW where he says Google are working on an "over optimisation" penalty? http://www.searchenginejournal.com/g...penalty/41517/

Even with these new changes set to take place it's always good practice not to place (stuff) too many keywords into your pages (make the language more natural), not to place too many links to your site with the same anchor text (again, follow a more natural way of doing this) and get some genuine social media traffic to your website.

The focus has been for a while, and is still going toward, creating content that is natural, interesting, useful and worth sharing.

3. The following user agrees with Paulo:
    This is a broad question. If you are thinking about the Google over-optimization penalty, then you are probably approaching the design of your page/site from the wrong angle. One thing that Google has stated over and over again is that it's better if you design your website for your users and not for search engines. Granted, you want to have a good title tag, an h1 header, and some good, unique text in there, but that's where you should stop when it comes to trying to design your pages for search engines. If you have a webpage that sells "tennis shoes", you are not more likely to land on the first page by having the word "tennis shoes" in there a thousand times - rather than writing an article about "tennis shoes". Google is smart - it knows what the general topic of conversation is and you don't need to force it.

Rest in Peace 1946 - 2013 deepsand's Avatar
    In re. the so-called "Google over-optimization penalty," not only is such not yet in effect, but it would not be a true penalty, but just one more reassessment of data under different standards than those previously used, as is the case for all algorithmic changes.

6. The following user agrees with deepsand:
    It's too early to say what this update will target. It may target sites with suspicious-looking link profiles or sites with too many keywords, who knows? A lot of people have already begun freaking out and even talking about bringing their backlinks down, which is overreacting. Let's just wait for the actual update and see what happens.

Rest in Peace 1946 - 2013 deepsand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jhonden View Post
    It was not previously as there were lot of website who use to nurture link farms but recent Panda updates have made it void and over optimization will result in penalty.
    Nonsense. Link farms have been anathema to Google for years now.

Furthermore, all algorithmic changes result in all data being reevaluated. Those that suffer adverse consequences are no more "penalized" than those who benefit are receiving of "gratuitous rewards."

It's way past time to stop calling every negative valuation a "penalty."

Quote Originally Posted by deepsand View Post
    It's way past time to stop calling every negative valuation a "penalty."
    I agree completely. Different forums contain many postings warning of penalties, banning etc every time there is an update from Google, whereas it is no more than a recalculation which may result in a change in ranking positions, either up or down. Likewise, actions that are outside of guidelines are sometimes incorrectly labelled as "illegal".

As was said by Matt at the conference:

So all those people who have sort of been doing, for lack of a better word, over optimization or overly doing their SEO, compared to the people who are just making great content and trying to make a fantastic site, we want to sort of make that playing field a little bit more level. And so thatís the sort of thing where we try to make Google Bot smarter, we try to make our relevance more adaptive so that people donít do SEOÖand we also start to look at the people who abuse it, whether they throw to many keywords on a page or whether they exchange way too many links or go well beyond what you normally expect.
    This is the quote everyone's going by. If you read it carefully, there's nothing there other than quite possibly a warning about getting too many links pointing to yourself in a short period of time and from 'bad' places. Maybe, that and keyword density issues. If your keyword density is too high it may trigger a spam filter.

We could gather that "Over Optimization" = keyword spamming and "beyond normal" link building habits. And so in other words, don't be unatural with your copy (too many keywords), write properly and quite possibly to take your time building links. I'd personally like to see how Google judges as unatural link building.

Quote Originally Posted by morestar View Post
    If you read it carefully, there's nothing there other than quite possibly a warning about getting too many links pointing to yourself in a short period of time and from 'bad' places. Maybe, that and keyword density issues. If your keyword density is too high it may trigger a spam filter.
    We could gather that "Over Optimization" = keyword spamming and "beyond normal" link building habits. And so in other words, don't be unatural with your copy (too many keywords), write properly and quite possibly to take your time building links. I'd personally like to see how Google judges as unatural link building.
    Although those two factors (keywords and links) were given, I believe they were only examples and it would be wrong to assume that they are the only factors that are going to be looked at.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by David Acer View Post
    Hi,
    Can anybody help me, i want to know that is more optimization is harmful for our site.
    Never ever is over optimization harmful. You only are marketing your business on internet. Try to understand the difference between spamming and link popularity.