Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Domain age a Factor in SEO ?

Is the Domain age a Factor in SEO ?

G'day All

I have my domain name for the last 6 years. I have done as much as i can to get my site to the no.1 position on Google.
    Currently i am about No. 8 have got up to position 3.
    I have tried all sorts of techniques to break in to the top position.
    I am not sure what the top position holder does, but the site has not changed visually in 10 years, its been the same style but different content.
    This site has been there since 1999 and is top for all the main keywords i dont think i have seen it at no.2 or 3 for any term.

Has any one else got the same problem ??

Although nobody knows the true workings of Google's algorithm, domain age is thought to be one of the signals that Google uses. I suppose that Google uses this signal as a way to compute the overall trust and authority of the website in a particular field. Having said that, each individual signal plays a small part in the overall algorithm. Although I don't claim to know this as a fact - I would venture to guess that the content and backlinks of the 10 year old site is more of a reason of why your competitor is ranking over you. Keep in mind that your website is 6 years old, not new by any measure. Work on getting backlinks and comparing your content to your competitor's content and maybe, just maybe, your rankings will rise.
    Owner of Hidden Content

I believe Matt Cutts mentioned about old domains might help SEO slightly compared with very newly registered domains

But Google constantly changes their Alogrithms and it may not matter that much in near future.

Most people prefer to buy aged domains, because these domains, as a rule, have at least some PR value. Other than that, whether a domain was registered 5 years ago or 5 days ago, it doesn't make that much of a difference for one's rankings (maybe just teeny-weeny difference). What's more important is what has been going on with that domain during that time.
    Also, when buying an aged domain, thoroughly check its record, you don't wanna get a domain with a shady-looking link profile.

Ranking of website depends upon the backlinks i think your problem is your competitor is too much powerful and still after 6 years your website needs more backlinks boost to get to the top there nothing you can do about other than to keep patience and keep you link building job at steady pace.
    Generally domain age doesn't affects seo it may seems that older domain is ranking good in search engine but actually it is all because of the natural backlinks which it has achieved due to years of exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by SENtelligence View Post
    Most people prefer to buy aged domains, because these domains, as a rule, have at least some PR value. Other than that, whether a domain was registered 5 years ago or 5 days ago, it doesn't make that much of a difference for one's rankings (maybe just teeny-weeny difference). What's more important is what has been going on with that domain during that time.
    Also, when buying an aged domain, thoroughly check its record, you don't wanna get a domain with a shady-looking link profile.
    Buying high pr backlinks for the sake of seo is of no use google generally decreases the page rank to 0 after whois changes.

Quote Originally Posted by vikashmunda View Post
    google generally decreases the page rank to 0 after whois changes.
    From what I know, this is rather an exception than common practice.

How about you see what Matt Cutts has to say on the subject:

"How much weight does the number of years a domain is registered for have on your ranking?"

google generally decreases the page rank to 0 after whois changes.
    Do you have any proof of that?

I would think that the change would be caused by the new owner not keeping up the same standards of quality the previous owner had plus what ever marketing they had done to get the PR they had. Also, if the new owner did not take care to install the site with the exact same url structure when it was moved to the new hosting or implement 301 redirects if they chose to change the url structure the PR and indexing would disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by tipud View Post
    Currently i am about No. 8 have got up to position 3.
    I have tried all sorts of techniques to break in to the top position.
    I am not sure what the top position holder does, but the site has not changed visually in 10 years, its been the same style but different content.
    This site has been there since 1999 and is top for all the main keywords i dont think i have seen it at no.2 or 3 for any term.
    I read once (sorry don't remember where) that being at the end of the first page of the results can be just as good or even maybe better than #1 or #2 spot because you have the opportunity to catch the searcher's eye as they go for the next page link. Seems to be affected by the clutter at the top of the results.
    Hidden Content - Search engine friendly websites, ecommerce websites & blogs
    Hidden Content - Web page mistakes with solutions
    Hidden Content - HTML help to learn HTML basics

9. The following user agrees with HTMLBasicTutor:
    Rest in Peace 1946 - 2013 deepsand's Avatar
    Buying high pr backlinks for the sake of seo is of no use google generally decreases the page rank to 0 after whois changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by SENtelligence View Post
    From what I know, this is rather an exception than common practice.
    It's neither common practice nor an exception, as it just doesn't happen.

PageRank is wholly dependent on counts of pages and links.
    Last edited by deepsand; 03-28-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
    I read once (sorry don't remember where) that being at the end of the first page of the results can be just as good or even maybe better than #1 or #2 spot because you have the opportunity to catch the searcher's eye as they go for the next page link. Seems to be affected by the clutter at the top of the results.
    Interesting. Never thought of that - one's eye searching for the next page link at the bottom of the page. I have read somewhere that top of page 2 gets more clicks than bottom of page one. Go figure.
    Hidden Content Solutions in Markham
    Hidden Content Web Design for business
    Hidden Content - Spread your business message locally and around the world!