Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Social Media Marketing Work?

Does Social Media Marketing Work?

I am interested in using social media marketing as part of the strategies to promote my site. I also need some insights from those who have been doing it. My question is what you think about it? Does it really work?

Social media marketing is a big part of offsite seo. It is a great way to engage with your visitors in a different way and it allows them to interact too and leave feedback. I highly suggest creating a facebook fan page and adding that to your site as well as getting a twitter page and adding that to your site. You can achieve more visitors by promoting on facebook and twitter and gaining more fans/followers.

This is such a massive question but the short answer is yes. It depends on your company and industry, but social networks like Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest can have a huge impact on your company

Social media marketing of course works. Its a way of forming a relationship with your readers. People will more likely go back to your site if they are comfortable with the way you communicate with them. Your new entries will be easily shared to others with the help of social network like facebook or twitter.

Dimples

It is a massive question Noah, you're right and the more I delve into Social Media the more I realize there's so much else to learn.

One thing that is proven with Social Media is that in order for it to work 100% of the time to your or your company/clients' benefit is that you do have to be an experienced marketer. Any one of us SEOs can claim to be social media experts but the Internet Marketers are the true winners in the Facebook, Twitter and Google+ arenas. It takes time, it takes planning, it takes strategizing, it takes being somewhat of an expert in any particular field and NOT coming across like you're trying to sell something.

Sure creating fan/business pages will get the SEO a few backlinks to whatever website, sure the SEO can post the client's (or their own) blog posts or articles to those networks but in the end is the social media campaign actually positively affecting your client's bottom line? Is the campaign bringing more customers in the door? Are fans signing up for newsletters? Are their enough interactions with fans and said business pages to create a big enough buzz - and so big that your client actually earns money?

I've worked with agencies that say "OK create a Facebook and Twitter page for them" only to find a year later that they've got ten fans, half of them are from the clients office, the other half is friends or family, no one responds to posts and virtually nothing really matters. Sure with the right SEO you could have that Fan Page come up in the search results but again, what's the page really doing for the client?

If you want to work social media to the point of truly doing something for yourself or client that brings tangible results, you're going to have to really work on it, daily, truly, honestly and be creative enough to get the fans interested, talking about and sharing your content - every day. You need to start real events, offer real specials, make them laugh, make them think, make them talk and compel them to sign up. You have to think of ways to turn those fans into money.

6. The following user agrees with morestar:
    Quote Originally Posted by morestar View Post
    I've worked with agencies that say "OK create a Facebook and Twitter page for them" only to find a year later that they've got ten fans, half of them are from the clients office, the other half is friends or family, no one responds to posts and virtually nothing really matters.
    I can't agree more. I get this question asked all the time now from prospects and clients "should I look at delving into SM?" Most people I talk to about SM feel they 'have to' or 'should get involved' due to the hype from friends, associates and especially, the media.

Quote Originally Posted by morestar View Post
    If you want to work social media to the point of truly doing something for yourself or client that brings tangible results, you're going to have to really work on it, daily, truly, honestly and be creative enough to get the fans interested, talking about and sharing your content - every day.
    My thoughts also. There is a commitment of continuance along with honest efforts required in terms of writing with thought and regularity that most people don't get, and for those people, it can just be a huge waste of time. So I tell everyone who asks the question, if it's a passion of theirs, if they get involved - follow through and keep at it for the long run.
    Last edited by LD; 03-16-2012 at 11:14 AM. Reason: add
    Hidden Content Markham
    Hidden Content Web Design
    Online SEO Hidden Content Markham.

If you have a company blog, it is the same thing. It gives your readers an insight into what is going on for your company and team. Having social media channels can help with the distribution of your content, but dont expect to be making sales from tweets or FB posts.

It probably depends on what your site is and what kind of social marketing you are trying to use.
    It would be easier to give opinions if you said "I want to promote my site for tree trimming in Bakersfield by making a facebook page for it. Do you think it will work?"

SMM works, but you have to know how to use it, as every other instrument. And yes, for different situations different instruments are applicable, and the effect is different.

I'm with everyone. You can easily promote your site via social media. Facebook has just made changes to fan pages and introduced timeline. When you get the hang of it you can use it's many features to your advantage. Twitter helps a lot specially in information dissemination and creating and establishing brand awareness. You can also check out pinterest. It's steadily getting popular now. I hear of people getting traffic from it because of pinterest users "pinning" a picture from their site -these people didn't even have a pinterest account.