Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Credit Card Fraud WAY UP over the past week HELP

I agree there's kind've a pattern here and i wonder if it might be that your "customer" is placing an order, getting the YYYM and then changing the address post-order?
    Hidden Content on Google+

I hope that, when this case is solved, somebody comes back to post the solution to this mystery!
    'It is perseverance and not genius that takes a man to the top.' - Cicero (attrib) *** 'Oh, yeah? That's easy for a genius to say.' - C0ldf1re.

Where did the guy go??? I was going to offer a solution, but now it sounds like he was lying about everything since he just upped & disappeared after someone asked a very logical question about the shipping.

Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by exoticpublishing View Post
    ... I was going to offer a solution...
    Please, Michelle, tell me your solution. I'm almighty curious!
    'It is perseverance and not genius that takes a man to the top.' - Cicero (attrib) *** 'Oh, yeah? That's easy for a genius to say.' - C0ldf1re.

Rest in Peace 1946 - 2013 deepsand's Avatar
    To the OP, specifically, what are the grounds for any such card holder disputes?

Quote Originally Posted by C0ldf1re View Post
    The systems that I am familiar with check that the despatch address is the same as the cardholder's address. This rather stops a crook from benefiting from using credit card details fraudulently. Ask your payment processor whether they do this cross-check.
    Authorize.net, which the OP says he uses, does provide for AVS checking, at various levels of detail, at the merchant's control.

It is the responsibility of the merchant to determine what risks he will and will not accept, and configure his AVS settings accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by cw1865 View Post
    I agree there's kind've a pattern here and i wonder if it might be that your "customer" is placing an order, getting the YYYM and then changing the address post-order?
    That would still require that the perpetrator(s) have both the necessary credentials for effecting address changes with the card issuer/servicer and unfettered access to the delivery addresses.

Quote Originally Posted by Autographs View Post
    ... I don't know if they are intercepting the Mail before the card holder gets it or not, ...
    Mail?

Unless you're using traceable, controlled delivery mail, such as Postal Express or Certified Mail, with receiver Signature Required, you're just tossing product to the winds.

Quote Originally Posted by Autographs View Post
    AUTHORIZE.net is a Bunch of IDIOTS, they want to take all the money and NON of the Responsibility for passing the approvals along to me.
    A.net does not touch the proceeds of the transaction; they simply provide you with the means of participating in the card processing networks.

And, it is not A.net that vets transactions in any respect, but rather the card holder's issuing/servicing bank. A.net just tells you what said bank's response codes are; and, then accepts or declines the Capture of the transactions based on your chosen account settings.

So when it comes to chargebacks, not much helps UNLESS you have that signature like someone says, or you get the client to sign a letter saying they agreed to that order. That doesn't really work for me, so I started taking ID & I make sure the billing address is the same as on the order if it isn't, I take a utility bill with that address on it. I'm actually surprised more companies don't do this seeing that retail companies often require ID.

Granted they don't have a copy of it, but in my case I have no other choice. I can't afford to lose my merchant account & most companies don't realize that if you rack up 1% (sometimes less) in chargebacks, the merchant account will be pulled.

I tried to look for a 3rd party company to do this, but believe it or not, there's NONE.

The banks are known to be terrible as.holes & as someone else already stated, blame the companies left & right even if that company does everything in their power to make sure the order is correct.

Fraud protection thru your gateway doesn't help. It helps a little bit, but all the chargebacks I got the AVS went through fine.

Using the "phone method" doesn't work either. I did that for about a year until I realized all they have to get is a throwaway phone or a temporary number, answer the line & then they are done, you never really had their real number to begin with. Not to mention, when I call clients back months after they have purchased, they screen their calls & don't answer.

It's a commonly known fact that 70% (maybe more, maybe less this is what I last heard) of all fraud is friendly fraud.

Who the hell came up with that stupid term is beyond me. There's NOTHING friendly about fraud.

Friendly fraud is when a customer purchases & then calls their credit card company & lies about either receiving the item, claiming it was broken or they didn't authorize the transaction & someone must have stolen their cc numbers. In fact most fraudulent orders I've encountered show that the card holder STILL had their card in their possession.

I once talked to a company who sells natural medicine & he lost $3,000 b/c of friendly fraud. He called the house inquiring what was going on, & the wife of the man who purchased it said, "oh, the meds are wonderful & really helping." I guess she had no idea her husband had committed fraud.

I also put fraudsters on my blog. I know most of you won't do that, but I feel people have a right to know what others do when they commit these crimes. While I'm not a fan of HUGE corporations, smaller companies should be treated with respect. Too many customers these days try to get away with murder.

For me I'm a very small company, so any chargeback which of course also includes not just the amount of the product, but HUGE fees, is detrimental to my company.

Since I started implementing this ID policy, I've had ZERO chargebacks. Not that I had a lot in the past (1-2 per year), but now I've decreased it to NONE.

In fact I even caught a fraudster a few months back. When I tried to call the number since the e-mails weren't being returned & I got the REAL card holder, the card holder refused to cooperate by confirming they were in fact the card holder & telling me they would notify their bank. He started accusing me of trying to commit fraud LOL (some people just aren't smart).

I had to do that 1-2 other times & had no problems, the card holder was already aware transactions had gone through on his card.

I think one of the problems is that most companies online don't screen AT ALL & they allow transactions to be automatic. While this is great for the client, this increases fraud AND it becomes difficult for companies like me to screen because then I hear, "I NEVER have to do this with any other company, WHY do I have to do this with YOU???"

I hope this helps in some way
    Last edited by weegillis; 03-25-2012 at 03:53 PM.