Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Thread: Intuit "Free Trial" Locking Domain Name

Intuit "Free Trial" Locking Domain Name

I've got a new client who signed up for Intuit's 30-day website trial offer, which includes registering his domain name. (Why do people do this before talking to us?). Now that he knows that the template-based tool generates SEO un-friendly code and looks like a highschool project, he agrees to move to a real host.

Problem is that Intuit has registered his domain name, which is his company name, but not a tradmarked name, and will not let him transfer it someplace else. They say they will keep it for the year it is registered and will not give him control unless he continues with the monthly hosting. He offered to buy it, but they won't agree to anything other than their offer.

A web search on this issue yielded several with the same story. Some reported that Intuit put an ad for their services at the address until the name expired after a year.

The client has a lawyer checking into it but we are not hopeful. We'll proceed with an alternate domain name (same name with dash's), but wanted to see if there are any comments from you guys.

Thanks,
    Smokie
    Free Death Insurance Certificate (old age satire) - Don't Be Stupid (rant, or good advice)

WebProWorld MVP
    SmokieMac, the only alternative that you have really is to file a UDRP domain dispute--or threaten Intuit that you will file one if they don't turn the domain name over to your client. You can find out more about the UDRP process (it costs about $1500 last time I checked) here: http://www.icann.org/en/udrp/udrp.htm
    Follow me on Twitter, I'm bhartzer or like my page on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by bhartzer View Post
    SmokieMac, the only alternative that you have really is to file a UDRP domain dispute--or threaten Intuit that you will file one if they don't turn the domain name over to your client. You can find out more about the UDRP process (it costs about $1500 last time I checked) here: http://www.icann.org/en/udrp/udrp.htm
    Bhartzer, thanks for the additional info. From reading through the UDRP stuff, it appears that there isn't much hope since the domain name is pretty generic: seacoastconcretepumping.com (There are at least three companies with that name in different parts of the country). I deal mostly with very small businesses who see $1500 as a big item. Will pass on the info though. Thanks Much!
    Smokie
    Free Death Insurance Certificate (old age satire) - Don't Be Stupid (rant, or good advice)

Unless money changed hands between your client and Intuit, your client has little solid ground to stand on. I'd read over the squinty print to confirm whether you have any legal grounds or not.

Not a bad gig, for Intuit. They registered the domain in hopes your client would continue on with their service and it probably costs them $8 or so for each trial in hopes of continuance. And if only 3 our of 10 decide to not go past the end of the trial, it cost them under $30 to secure 7 new clients. Note, I'm just guessing at those numbers, but I think they might be close.
    Markham Web Design Company. Why Responsive WordPress Web Design is important for business. Optimized Press Releases in Markham for better search results

The print isn't that fine. When a host offers to include domain registration, it's pretty much a given the domain will not be transferable. Nothing anybody can do, except plead with the host. It's up to them how to proceed.

Thanks to all for their responses. The client has decided not to fight it and will register the same domain name with dashes between the words. He will also mark his calendar to grab the other one in a year + grace period when hopefully Intuit doesn't renew it.
    Smokie

Quote Originally Posted by SmokieMac View Post
    Thanks to all for their responses. The client has decided not to fight it and will register the same domain name with dashes between the words. He will also mark his calendar to grab the other one in a year + grace period when hopefully Intuit doesn't renew it.
    They will renew it if he is still hosted with them. It's usually automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by weegillis View Post
    They will renew it if he is still hosted with them. It's usually automatic.
    He didn't renew with them, so they shouldn't be renewing after the year is up. Thanks for the help!
    Smokie