Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Googles new 'above the fold' algo changes, what do they mean to you?

Rest in Peace 1946 - 2013 deepsand's Avatar
    The biggest reason that Google's AdWords listings take up so much more space above the organic listings is, not that there are more of them, but that the Sitelinks and other Ad Extensions greatly increase the space used by a single ad listing.

They've now got 5 different types of Ad Extensions, all of which can be used on a single ad.

• Location extensions
    • Call extensions
    • Ad Sitelinks
    • Product extensions
    • Social extensions

2. The following user agrees with deepsand:
    Quote Originally Posted by williamc View Post
    I still think it is link related for the most part in your case watto, as I had a chance to look over your link profile myself.
    Yes I think you are correct.
    Hidden Content is the founder and CEO of Hidden Content - Search Engine Optimisation and Web Design Company.

I nearly found myself in total despair of finding the correct word that describes googles arm wresting with itself. (left hand battling the right)

The right word may possibly a derivation of the word dyslexic
    (dys∑lex∑i∑a (d s-l k s - ). n. A learning disorder marked by impairment of the ability to recognize and comprehend written words.)

I like
    dysgooglic (dys-goog-lic. A self inflicted disorder marked by a total impairment of any understanding of things it already understands.

or 'Dysglooglic' - biting your own balls syndrome.

Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content
    If Optimising for google gives you a headache? - try optimising your Users

5. The following user agrees with Tubby:
    This is Google's business model and itís a do as I say not as I do model. This is because you are comparing apples and oranges.

Someone goes to Google's website because they are looking to find information about a certain business. Google's business model is providing that information. The end-user doesn't care if the relevant website came by advertising, marketing, organic results all they care about is that this website has what they are looking for.

So when they go to Google the mindset is, I need to find a roofer, I have a problem, my roof is leaking. After typing in roofing I don't want a website full of links to other roofing companies I'm looking for a roofing company.

And I think it's a smart thing and intelligent thing and a wonderful thing for Google to eliminate those types of websites from the results.

Don't understand what all the upset is about. Months ago this was brought up. I can't find it right now, all the results are being monopolized by yesterday's announcement and people going on and on about it. It might have been William Slawski of SEO by the Sea or maybe Michael Gray (Graywolf).

As a user of StumbleUpon, it will be nice to be able to actually see the content of the page when I arrive (once they cotton on filling above the fold with ads ain't going to work if you want to get ranked in Google) instead of my screen being full of advertising.
    Hidden Content - Search engine friendly websites, ecommerce websites & blogs
    Hidden Content - Web page mistakes with solutions
    Hidden Content - HTML help to learn HTML basics

Personally, I don't see it as an upset, as I dont run a lot of ads on my sites anyways. But I do find it funny as heck that google is the biggest contributor to what they are now penalizing
    William Cross
    Hidden Content by Those Damn Coders
    Hidden Content because our constitution matters

9. The following user agrees with williamc:
    LD
    Quote Originally Posted by williamc View Post
    Personally, I don't see it as an upset, as I dont run a lot of ads on my sites anyways. But I do find it funny as heck that google is the biggest contributor to what they are now penalizing
    But it's a different business model.

It would be like building a website and telling me, "Hey Janeth, I'm going to send you all kinds of traffic for free, it's not going to cost you anything.

And I say thanks Will.

A year later you get a call from someone that says hey, I am never going to use your website again because I had to go to 5 different websites before I found a roofer. And you say but Janeth is a roofer I sent you straight to her and he says yes but you've sent Janeth so much traffic that she stopped doing roofing and started selling advertising.

Your customers, the people you are sending to me for free are upset because they want a roofer and instead of a roofer they got someone sending them to one website full of ads after the next. And then to top it off I tell your customers that I can save them money if he stops advertising with you and starts advertising with me.

Now, what would you do?

My biggest issue isn't that they want to do away with ads above the fold, it's that they have yet to clearly define what an ad is.. We can safely assume that adsense is an ad, and this will hurt Google's revenue stream (poor shareholders).. But what about the people that sell their own product and have a large header that is full width and 400px high with a load of ad copy and a link to a buy page? Will that get lumped in with "ads"?

Can the new algo tell the difference between ads and the popular ajax sliders that are so common now? Those also push content below the fold..

Way too much they have yet to explain or that we have had time to test.. But I already have clients working in revisions to their sites just in case..
    You can't create artful marketing with color by number seo

12. The following user agrees with SteveGerencser:
    Google thinks of their ads as content. At least now they are honest, never mind the mind numbing ethical issues and conflict of interests.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGerencser View Post
    My biggest issue isn't that they want to do away with ads above the fold, it's that they have yet to clearly define what an ad is.. We can safely assume that adsense is an ad, and this will hurt Google's revenue stream (poor shareholders).. But what about the people that sell their own product and have a large header that is full width and 400px high with a load of ad copy and a link to a buy page? Will that get lumped in with "ads"?

Can the new algo tell the difference between ads and the popular ajax sliders that are so common now? Those also push content below the fold..

Way too much they have yet to explain or that we have had time to test.. But I already have clients working in revisions to their sites just in case..
    I would think they would be looking for ad code or something like that and not the amount of space used in the header. Or at least I would hope.

15. The following user agrees with janeth:
    LD