Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Google webmaster tools found 1000s of 404 page not found

  1. #1

    Angry Google webmaster tools found 1000s of 404 page not found

    I have got one issue on three websites where Google Webmaster tools found 1000s of "404 page not found" but I don't know how come he is searching those pages. For instance I am getting crawl errors for http://www.topvalais.ch/ZdRbW/Rubriques.aspx orhttp://www.topvalais.ch/RcjeO/ZYmXX/Rubriques.aspx or http://www.topvalais.ch/STXTP/OhbOX/Rubriques.aspx orhttp://www.topvalais.ch/PddjP/KWPjO/...Rubriques.aspx etc... All those pages do not exist. The real existing page ishttp://www.topvalais.ch/Rubriques.aspx

    Where does Google Crawler's find those URLs with garbage's characters ? Has it something to do with the URL Rewriting thing ?

    And when looking at referrer again it's something I wouldn't know where Google's crawler found them. See details here:


    Any clue welcome !
    Jean-Luc Hidden Content
    Working in the Concepcion area, Chile, since 1999
    Follow us on Hidden Content

  2. #2
    Junior Member ESM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    12
    Have you recently moved your site?

    You asked: Has it something to do with the URL Rewriting thing? Have you done a URL re-write? Or a 301 redirect?

    Have you changed your permalinks structure?

    I see your pages are what-ever . aspx. Have you made a change to your database?

    These are just a few things that popped in my head at first. Hope it helps.

  3. #3
    Rest in Peace 1946 - 2013 deepsand's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    State College, PA
    Posts
    16,376
    Another member here very recently experienced exactly the same oddity; turned out to be a hosting issue according to the host itself.

    As you and that other member are using the same host, the odds are that its the same problem. Contacting your host would be the first step to take.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by deepsand View Post
    Another member here very recently experienced exactly the same oddity; turned out to be a hosting issue according to the host itself.
    As you and that other member are using the same host, the odds are that its the same problem. Contacting your host would be the first step to take.
    Would you remember that other member's name so I can have a look at his post ? I am asking because I am having that same issue on another website but with different hosts and also would like to know what they told him.


    Quote Originally Posted by Esmconcepts View Post
    Have you recently moved your site?
    You asked: Has it something to do with the URL Rewriting thing? Have you done a URL re-write? Or a 301 redirect?
    Have you changed your permalinks structure?
    I see your pages are what-ever . aspx. Have you made a change to your database?
    These are just a few things that popped in my head at first. Hope it helps.
    This website hasn't moved since I went life a few year ago. I noticed a problem a while ago because some links had character that caused problem, such as \ or / and I am now cleaning up the text including those characters. I thought this would have take care of the issue but no, it keeps getting worse by the day, as of writing this post I am at 6707 not found pages !



    I do have the same issue on 2 other websites www.topchile.cl (no change as of late) and www.8va.cl live since 1999 but one I recently changed. The oddity on this one is that since I changed it crawler stats went thru the roof (see graph below) and visitors's number plummeted. This website (www.8va.cl) didn't have URL Rewriting before November 19th when I changed it.

    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jean-Luc Hidden Content
    Working in the Concepcion area, Chile, since 1999
    Follow us on Hidden Content

  5. #5
    Rest in Peace 1946 - 2013 deepsand's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    State College, PA
    Posts
    16,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Corobori View Post
    Would you remember that other member's name so I can have a look at his post ? I am asking because I am having that same issue on another website but with different hosts and also would like to know what they told him.
    I'll look through my Subscription list for it.

    [searching ... searching ... searching ... ]

    See GWT - Google Redirect Error -"Not Followed" error messages.
    Last edited by deepsand; 01-02-2012 at 06:04 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •