Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mailing List Script or Software

Mailing List Script or Software

I am looking for a self hosted mailing list script or desktop software to manage the list(s).

Ideally, one install for multiple mailing lists would be great. The newsletters would have to come from each of the sites though, not just one domain name.

Was looking at PHPList this morning. In the past I looked at SendBlaster also.

Anyone have any experience with these or have other suggestions?

Absolutely not interested in Aweber, Constant Contact or any other similar hosted mailing list service so please don't suggest anything like that.

The lists are starting from scratch so that was why I was considering a desktop application. Yes, I know my ISP can throttle the distribution.
    Hidden Content - Search engine friendly websites, ecommerce websites & blogs
    Hidden Content - Web page mistakes with solutions
    Hidden Content - HTML help to learn HTML basics

Quote Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
    Absolutely not interested in Aweber, Constant Contact or any other similar hosted mailing list service
    I understand it isn't part of the solution you are looking for, but I'm just curious what, if any, has been your experience with a service like Contstant Contact.
    Hidden Content Solutions in Markham
    Hidden Content Web Design for business
    Hidden Content - Spread your business message locally and around the world!

I want to be in total control of my mailing lists and not have to rely on anyone else.

I've used both phplist and dadamail. I orignally used dadamail (mojomail) but needed some features he didn't have at the time, so I switched to phphlist. I donated to dadamail during development so now I have a Pro license.

They both work as they should , good flexibility in adding your own fields (helps in targeted mailings).
    They will do multiple lists. Allow custom pages for people to sign up for a list or multiple lists.
    Both are easy to manage through their interfaces.
    As far as I know you would install one on each domain if you really want them to be associated with that domain.

namaste

5. The following user agrees with zenfort:
    Oh yeah - I have a couple of clients that I need to send a promotion email out a couple of times a year.
    Between 40 up to 200 or so - not a lot.
    I use MaxBulk Mailer for that. That has to go through AT&T (SMTP) so with MaxBulk Mail you can adjust the mailing sequences and timings. Large mailings can take a while - so as to not incite the wrath of the ATT monster.

In this case I have to use one of my return addresses - I'd rather not but going through AT&T makes me have to do that.
    So I use my return address with "client services for____"
    I haven't tried using one of my SMTP servers in a long while - it was just such a hassle through AT&T.
    Pretty intuitive - just send yourself or someone a number of test emails until you are sure it's exactly they way you want it.

note:
    Always put in CSS inline or it gets stripped out.

namaste

Thanks namaste.

Which do you think is more secure? PHPList or dadamail?

Nearly every time I've ever seen anyone try to self host it ended with their domain/IP being blocked by most of the major mail services like hotmail, yahoo, gmail, etc etc etc..

I totally understand the total control thing, but this is one area where I leave it to the experts..
    You can't create artful marketing with color by number seo

9. The following user agrees with SteveGerencser:
    I was recently looking at these as well, and SendBlaster was the main one I looked into, but through my searches I saw this: validemailcollector.com/RapidEmailSender.aspx

It's got a free trial if you want to download/install it and look around to see if you like it. I've not used it yet, but it appears to be good. If you do use it, or the trial, please share your experience as I'm still considering it myself

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGerencser View Post
    ... it ended with their domain/IP being blocked by most of the major mail services like hotmail, yahoo, gmail, etc etc etc..
    Too bad these firms are not as quick to ban their own customers who use their services to spam. <wink>
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveGerencser View Post
    I totally understand the total control thing, but this is one area where I leave it to the experts..
    There is certainly no guarantee that one is not added involuntarily to a mailing list serviced through a paid service, contrary to their sales speal on these sites.

I have had people in a group add me just because they had my business card AFTER I had written in their newsletter about permission marketing, including Seth Godin's email checklist (quoting Seth Godin, with his personal permission) and the consequences of spamming a number of times. They got quite indignant when I refreshed their memory about the consequences of unsolicited emails.

Quote Originally Posted by Talks_44 View Post
    I was recently looking at these as well, and SendBlaster was the main one I looked into, but through my searches I saw this: validemailcollector.com/RapidEmailSender.aspx

It's got a free trial if you want to download/install it and look around to see if you like it. I've not used it yet, but it appears to be good. If you do use it, or the trial, please share your experience as I'm still considering it myself
    Thanks for the idea Talks. Let me know if you figure out if it has double opt-in. Had a quick look but didn't see that feature mentioned.

Speaking of spammers, how the heck do you get a hold of AOL spam dept. without an account? Some wine guy has been spamming me for months.

Edit: found an email this time. Sent off compliant.
    Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 12-22-2011 at 01:11 AM.