Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Thread: www.cheesecloth.us

www.cheesecloth.us

Please review my site: http://www.cheesecloth.us

Installed a wordpress design recently for the website, upgrading it from basic HTML.

1) what do you think of the design - does it have a wholesale feel?
    2) any suggestions on Wordpress themes that would be better suited to the site?
    3) is the content easy to understand?

Note: we are going be to be editing some of the other pages, so mainly looking for feedback on the homepage.

Also, would be a huge help if someone could give me a quick solution on making 301 redirects as we now have pages with .html extension that we want redirected to the new pages in the wordpress site.

Any insights, comments or help would be appreciated.

The layout is fairly simple and you can get to where you want to go. I would definitely like to see more of a cheesecloth theme on your site. Right now, this can be a site for any product. Maybe pictures of cheesecloths or a logo. Also, get someone to grammar and spell-check your content, because a lot of sentences are grammatically awkward.
    Webgistix
    Global Leaders in Hidden Content

I must admit, this is the first site I've seen dedicated to Cheese cloth haha. That aside..

1) The design is really bland and unappealing colours. Greyscale monotone doesn't really set the shopping mod. The banner needs work as well. It's just text and choppy text at that. Could use some colour for contrast.
    2) If you have the knowledge/skills and/or money to do so, I would recommend designing your own layout. Unique it good. I've never used templates so I don't know much about suggesting some to use.
    3) The content structure is nice and decently defined. I would maybe place the image of the various weaves above the price guide, just so they can see what they can get before they see the price etc.

Rest in Peace 1946 - 2013 deepsand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffreyYu7 View Post
    The layout is fairly simple and you can get to where you want to go. I would definitely like to see more of a cheesecloth theme on your site.
    Huh? What is a "cheesecloth theme?"

Right now, this can be a site for any product.
    Can the site in question be mistakenly taken to be about anything other than cheesecloth?

Maybe pictures of cheesecloths or a logo.
    There a lot of pictures to be seen if you venture beyond the home page, which itself has seven.

Also, get someone to grammar and spell-check your content, because a lot of sentences are grammatically awkward.
    Can you cites some examples?

Quote Originally Posted by Talks_44 View Post
    I must admit, this is the first site I've seen dedicated to Cheese cloth haha. That aside..

1) The design is really bland and unappealing colours. Greyscale monotone doesn't really set the shopping mod. The banner needs work as well. It's just text and choppy text at that. Could use some colour for contrast.
    2) If you have the knowledge/skills and/or money to do so, I would recommend designing your own layout. Unique it good. I've never used templates so I don't know much about suggesting some to use.
    3) The content structure is nice and decently defined. I would maybe place the image of the various weaves above the price guide, just so they can see what they can get before they see the price etc.
    I won't give you lecture on cheesecloth, don't worry...

1) I'm not really sure of any simple solution for editing the banner. I'd have to edit the theme to allow two rows ideally I'd like it to say
    Brand Name
    Phone Number here (as in "Just another wordpress site")
    2) What color would you suggest - editing the color is very easy, I can change it built in to a custom color or Blue, Darkblue, Darkgreen, Green, Grey, Orange, Purple, and Red.
    3) My question with regards to your discussion about the placement of the content is whether or not the prices should be right at the top of the page - I figure I should give the customer the information on prices straight away?

Thanks for the response

1) The design is really bland and unappealing colours. Greyscale monotone doesn't really set the shopping mod.
    There's nothing visually appealing about cheesecloth; it's a bland utilitarian item. And, cheesecloth buyers are not your typical consumer shoppers. They're purchasers for producers of products that use it, like those who buy, for example, crushed stone for making concrete. They're looking for plain, straightforward, easy to use information about specs. and prices. "Just the facts, ma'am."

The banner needs work as well. It's just text and choppy text at that.
    Why need it be anything other than text? And, what do you see as being "choppy."

Could use some colour for contrast.
    The current color scheme provides for a very nice contrast as is, one that make for clarity and ease of reading.

I would maybe place the image of the various weaves above the price guide, just so they can see what they can get before they see the price etc.
    Typical buyers already know all about the grades, which are, for those not so informed, already described early on. The pictures themselves provide little information, and are of much less import than are the prices.

What I would suggest doing is placing said pictures along side of the prices.

Quote Originally Posted by anombon View Post
    My question with regards to your discussion about the placement of the content is whether or not the prices should be right at the top of the page - I figure I should give the customer the information on prices straight away?
    No; your order of description followed by prices is the proper one.
    Last edited by deepsand; 12-22-2011 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deepsand View Post
    What I would suggest doing is placing said pictures along side of the prices.

No; your order of description followed by prices is the proper one.
    You are correct that nothing needs to be majorly fixed up as my business is still bringing in sales - so obviously people still want and know how to order easily. Although, like everything I want to perfect the sales message as much as possible.

In terms of the placement of the pictures, I don't know if there is any easy way of doing that in wordpress.

Quote Originally Posted by anombon View Post
    In terms of the placement of the pictures, I don't know if there is any easy way of doing that in wordpress.
    Not being a WP guy, I can't help you there.

But, if it's problematic, might consider placing them on a single line, for easier visual scanning.