Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ready to drop CMS Made Simple

Sorry this is off topic, I hope I don't get WPW slapped

Since you guys know a ton about WP, why is it that for around 2-3 months now I keep seeing this under the "updates" area. WP used to update every 2-3 wks., now it seems I'm at the same version & they just want you to reinstall that version over & over again? Confused...

You have the latest version of wordpress.

You have the latest version of wordpress. You do not need to update. However, if you want to re-install version 3.2.1, you can do so automatically or download the package and re-install manually:

Download 3.2.1

While your site is being updated, it will be in maintenance mode. As soon as your updates are complete, your site will return to normal.

2. The Following 2 users agree with ep2012:
    Quote Originally Posted by LD View Post
    Are you referring to graphically created designs from, for example, Photoshop (reference to PSD)? Please explain a little further regarding the issues with "real content" and "usability" in designs created graphically first.
    Yes, Photoshoped designs that then have to be cut up into real websites.

What I've found is those designs forget about the dynamicness of a website. e.g. menus opening, button effects etc. so it ends up the developer has to fudge that stuff together. As the reality of how the website has to work comes together the original design often has not taken into account requirements so things get bolted onto it and it gets stretched. Usability is not considered till after the design, which is the wrong way round.

A frequent example is the beautiful looking eCommerce website that works really poorly on product purchases and checkout steps.

This is from my experience in a previous life as a website developer. I'm sure many firms do a better job.

Quote Originally Posted by exoticpublishing View Post
    When you say CMS Systems, do you mean Joomla?

WP got a little better over time.
    wordpress, Joomla and many of the other CMSs have good templates out of the box. They tend to be very good at compliance and are getting there with SEO.

Like Amazon they have had a lot of time and users to help them fine tune the design.
    Last edited by deepsand; 12-11-2011 at 11:07 PM. Reason: merged traffic flow
    by Tony McCreath (Tiggerito)
    owner of Web Site Advantage

4. The following user agrees with Tiggerito:
    Do you know of any GUI experts who aren't expensive?

That's assuming the site even wants to learn.

I am hard pressed to find any company that has ever taken my suggestions & implemented them, & I don't always mean site design issues, but that's one topic too.

The problem with out of the box templates is they aren't designed for the site's topic in mind.

Like right now I'm having someone design a new blog for us. She has no GUI experience, I'm pretty sure of that. I wish it was mandatory for all designers to excel at that before they can get a job. Most companies don't even know it's crucial, so they don't demand it from their designers.

6. The following user agrees with ep2012:
    Quote Originally Posted by mccreath View Post
    What I've found is those designs forget about the dynamicness of a website. e.g. menus opening, button effects etc. so it ends up the developer has to fudge that stuff together. As the reality of how the website has to work comes together the original design often has not taken into account requirements so things get bolted onto it and it gets stretched. Usability is not considered till after the design, which is the wrong way round.
    Strange. I've never experienced any fudging or usability issues. I look at these criteria before and while designing the GUI to ensure conditions are met. The code created in the conversions, however, can be a strange thing that requires tweeking - more than just a bit.
    Markham Web Design Company. Why Responsive WordPress Web Design is important for business. Optimized Press Releases in Markham for better search results

8. The following user agrees with LD:
    Quote Originally Posted by LD View Post
    Strange. I've never experienced any fudging or usability issues. I look at these criteria before and while designing the GUI to ensure conditions are met. The code created in the conversions, however, can be a strange thing that requires tweeking - more than just a bit.
    It's probably from personal experience in a small design/development firm. I think the whole process needs to be iterative. Keeping the designer in the loop as the working version starts taking shape. We're getting off topic though!

10. The following user agrees with Tiggerito:
    Quote Originally Posted by mccreath View Post
    Care about W3C but don't go anal on getting every warning or error fixed. And put it in it's place. e.g. Page speed is probably more important.
    Sometimes I think Matt Cutts is following me. He keeps making videos to back up what I say. Out today refers to W3C...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JD55e5h5JM

12. The following user agrees with Tiggerito: