Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ready to drop CMS Made Simple

W3C is compliance to standards like xhtml, html5, css and previous versions.

Semantic mark-up is extensions to these standards that let you add more meaning to your content.

A simple example is you can add mark-up to your contact page to tell search engines what represents your name, address, phone number, mobile...

This sort of mark-up can cover things like products, testimonials, business details, people etc.

The benefit is Google may gather marked-up data and use it to make you look better in the search results. You've probably seen product images, rating stars, breadcrumbs and authors in search results. These are often added because of the semantic mark-up on the page in question.

And it's not just Google. Facebook supports the open graph protocol that lets you define how your page is displayed in Facebook.

On running applications on WP. Anything is possible and there are a lot of WP developers out there to solve things. It's more to do with how your applications are coded.
    by Tony McCreath (Tiggerito)
    owner of Web Site Advantage

2. The Following 2 users agree with Tiggerito:
    Quote Originally Posted by exoticpublishing View Post
    You didn't mention anything about running applications on WP.
    What kind of applications?

4. The following user agrees with deadhippo:
    Ok, so can you give me some questions I should ask a potential WP coder when interviewing them to see if they know WTH they are doing?

So I shouldn't care about W3C anymore?

I'd have to see something live & in action to understand the markups you are referring to.

It's a PHP application. Unfortunately it was done by poor programmers years ago, then another out of date programmer redid it & it's hanging on by a thread.

No funds to redo it.

Thanks

Michelle

6. The following user agrees with ep2012:
    Care about W3C but don't go anal on getting every warning or error fixed. And put it in it's place. e.g. Page speed is probably more important.

You will want a WP coder that knows php coding and does not just tweak existing code. Maybe a good question is if they have developed their own plugin.

8. The following user agrees with Tiggerito:
    Hi Michelle,

I think you should provide us a little more information and then we can help you more. For example, what exactly does the application do? If a plugin exists for that purpose we can point it out to you. And if a plugin exists all you will need is a theme designer.

Alan

10. The following user agrees with deadhippo:
    Mccreath - oh, so just an xhtml/CSS designer doesn't cut it anymore? They need to know PHP too?

To me a PHP programmer is for applications.

The former is for website coding that takes a PSD & makes it into a website, adds changes that can't be done via a text editor, etc.

Alan - no, I doubt you have anything like this.

It allows my clients to download my business kits, it gives me info on when they DLed, from what IP, etc.

It allows me to create user names & p/ws, keep notes on them, etc. It's supposed to do a lot more, but like I said, it was coded poorly, so all the reporting features disappeared.

It also has an application page (now broken b/c of the upgrade) that potential applicants have to fill out & it stores the data of each applicant so I can see what happened the last time they applied.

That sort of thing.

Michelle

12. The following user agrees with ep2012:
    You want someone to embed your existing php applications into a new website. That will probably take a php programmer, no mater what system you go with.

Your app includes controlled downloads, user tracking and CRM functionality. Not basic stuff. Unless you can find a system that has it built in or a plugin/extension that will fit, then you will need to pay for a skilled programmer.

I personally don't like basing a website on a PSD. Websites are interactive so static designs tend to end up with many issues with real content and Usability (UI). Usability is something that is very hard to include in a design and another skill set that is valuable. Lots of modern templated CMS systems have ironed out the problems so are great to base a design on.

14. The following user agrees with Tiggerito:
    Don't need PHP? What planet are you on?

16. The following user agrees with weegillis:
    Quote Originally Posted by mccreath View Post
    I personally don't like basing a website on a PSD. Websites are interactive so static designs tend to end up with many issues with real content and Usability (UI). Usability is something that is very hard to include in a design and another skill set that is valuable.
    Are you referring to graphically created designs from, for example, Photoshop (reference to PSD)? Please explain a little further regarding the issues with "real content" and "usability" in designs created graphically first.
    Web Design Markham
    Responsive WordPress Web Design
    Online SEO Press Releases Markham.

18. The following user agrees with LD:
    Quote Originally Posted by mccreath View Post
    You want someone to embed your existing php applications into a new website. That will probably take a php programmer, no mater what system you go with.

Your app includes controlled downloads, user tracking and CRM functionality. Not basic stuff. Unless you can find a system that has it built in or a plugin/extension that will fit, then you will need to pay for a skilled programmer.

I personally don't like basing a website on a PSD. Websites are interactive so static designs tend to end up with many issues with real content and Usability (UI). Usability is something that is very hard to include in a design and another skill set that is valuable. Lots of modern templated CMS systems have ironed out the problems so are great to base a design on.
    Well I've never had a site that is interactive unless you count the audio on my site. Wish I had all the bells & whistles, but I don't.

As for GUI, you are telling ME!!!

I've complained to vworker many times that their site is TERRIBLE. I told them to hire a GUI expert. I really want them to succeed, as I love their new policies when it comes to ICs.

I can't read anything on the page, that's how messy & busy it is.

Now I got someone from there telling me that they hired a GUI expert & this is what they got LOL

I told them to shoot her/him if that's what they designed. They shouldn't be in the industry, they clearly don't know what they are doing.

I was on Amazon on the other day & thought to myself, wow, they really hired someone who knows what they are doing when it comes to GUI. Their page is very very busy, yet the eye can read & follow everything nicely.

When you say CMS Systems, do you mean Joomla?

WP got a little better over time.

Michelle

20. The following user agrees with ep2012: