Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SOPA: Piracy, Duplicate Content and everything in between

Question SOPA: Piracy, Duplicate Content and everything in between

Now that SOPA has spilled over in Canadian territory of which I knew it inevitably would do, I've began to look at it a little more seriously. Obviously it has to do with piracy and copyright infringement so what does that say about stolen duplicate content?

I guess now we don't need to worry about getting the so-called Google penalty related to stolen or duplicate content but now we have to worry about what happens to our websites if we're found with duplicates on it - content from other sites I mean.

Am I getting this right? Is this what SOPA is all about - stolen content?
    Last edited by deepsand; 11-18-2011 at 11:49 PM. Reason: merged related threads; edited Title accordingly

Question Life After SOPA, Stop Online Piracy Act Aftermath

Happy Friday WebProWorld.com members. I'm wondering about the SOPA act today...quite a bit actually...

So as we can tell, there's a lot of resistance to the Stop Online Piracy Act which seems like is going to be passed soon and especially a lot of talk about privacy.

So since I'm not too versed in law, privacy law, computer matters related to privacy and latest or emerging news related to SOPA, other acts and privacy in general, could you all share some of what you see will be the aftermath of this Act's passing?

What do you see will happen after the act is passed? What new laws (acts) will be passed thereafter based on the passing of this one in your opinion, what do you see trend wise?

Please share!

I'm still scratching my head about what Google is doing themselves right now to combat piracy -- like doing a mass shutdown of all Adwords accounts within a particular niche because a few of those advertisers are selling pirated content (I had to make a special request to get reinstated).

I'm guessing SOPA would have a similar effect -- lots of innocent people getting wrongly penalized simply because their business "resembles" the work of pirates.
    Do the best you can - as fast as you can - then fix it later.
    --Seth Godin

Discussion about this has been going on for a few days.

Source: PlagiarismToday
    SOPA bill won't make U.S. a 'repressive regime,' Democrat says
    DNS, SOPA, Content Blocking and More
    Strange bedfellows: Nancy Pelosi, Ron Paul join SOPA opposition

Even Matt Cutts has has joined in:
    I need your help–please. Call your congressperson?

Search Engine Watch:
    Google Front & Center at SOPA Piracy Hearing

It even has it's own hash tag on Twitter: #SOPA
    Hidden Content - Search engine friendly websites, ecommerce websites & blogs
    Hidden Content - Web page mistakes with solutions
    Hidden Content - HTML help to learn HTML basics

This act is BS for so many reasons. I just read about US jurisdiction over ARIN and therefore have legal rights to Canadian and 20 Caribbean nations.
    U.S. intellectual property lobbying around the world has been well documented with new Canadian copyright legislation widely viewed as a direct consequence of years of political pressure. The new U.S. proposal takes this aggressive approach to another level by simply asserting jurisdiction over millions of Canadian registered IP addresses and domain names.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/busines...#ixzz1e82SDpzS
    In some ways, PMS (Prime Minister Harper) is tough about national boundaries, and where the US should stick its nose, but in others he is a sycophant. There is action in CRTC hearings up here, and so far there seems to be some good consideration given to anti-regulation groups. I only hope this continues.

As far as this US arrogance being displayed, it is getting to people here in Canada. Alberta is of the mind to Ef You and go to Asia for our dealings in oil, and more countries are willing to distance themselves from US dealings.

This is politics - corrupt politics - all the way, acquiescing to special interest eg Hollywood and record companies and sheer power grabbing and insolence towards common sense and decency. It is a big and dangerous problem whenever the US government is involved with anything any more; there is a sense of extremism and isolationism in everything.
    Babies don't need a vacation, but I still see them at the beach... it pisses me off! I'll go over to a little baby and say 'What are you doing here? You haven't worked a day in your life!'
    Steven Wright

Rest in Peace 1946 - 2013 deepsand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikmik View Post
    This is politics - corrupt politics - all the way, acquiescing to special interest eg Hollywood and record companies and sheer power grabbing and insolence towards common sense and decency.
    Which owe allegiance to no particular nationality, but exert control anywhere and everywhere that they can.

And, the situation is greatly exacerbated by those who insist that the technological ability to steal confers the right to do so.

This is not unique to the US.
    Last edited by deepsand; 11-19-2011 at 01:27 AM.

I'm a little shocked, that Matt Cutts has reached out to us in this way - asking people to call congressmen etc. His post almost sounds a bit desperate and he's not even a CEO or anything...I mean what's going on here?

OK so from Matt Cutts' link we find:

They want to call the little guys “E-PARASITES,” using copyright as cover to censor whatever the heck they want. Because once you let the government start blanking out parts of the Internet, then what’s to stop them from blanking out oversight of that censorship? Nothing. Just ask Australia, which censored the internet “for the children,” but then started banning oversight of the censorship, as well as unrelated content like American anti-abortion websites.

censor what? Seriously, I can't find what's going to be censored...

OK I think I got it, thanks for the input and links guys and gals

This guys puts a lot of it into perspective: sopa hollywood finally gets chance break internet.

THE STOP ONLINE PIRACY ACT: SUMMARY, PROBLEMS & IMPLICATIONS
    Last edited by deepsand; 11-19-2011 at 03:55 PM. Reason: merged traffic flow

WebProWorld MVP TrafficProducer's Avatar

Exclamation Red Alert - Protect IP SOPA Bills Would KILL Alternative Media & Internet As We Know

Red Alert - Protect IP SOPA Bills Would KILL Alternative Media & Internet As We Know It! <<<< YouTube Video Eyezopenwide2 YouTube Channel

READ THE ARTICLE AND SPREAD THE WORD

It'll give the government new powers to block Americans' access websites that corporations don't like. The bill would criminalize posting all sorts of standard web content -- music playing in the background of videos, footage of people dancing, kids playing video games, and posting video of people playing cover songs.

ALERT: SOPA Bill Could Kill Alternative Media

SOPA Causes Anonymous To Declare Operation Blackout

Video courtesy of American Censorship

Fight For the Future

PROTECT IP / SOPA Act Breaks the Internet Sign against the Bill NOW!!!. Congress needs to hear from you, or this bill passes

Artists opposing the PROTECT-IP / SOPA Act. An open letter to the US Senate and House of Representatives

- PROTECT IP Act of 2011 A bill to prevent online threats to economic creativity and theft of intellectual property, and for other purposes.

Establishes a system for taking down websites that the Justice Department determines to be "dedicated to infringing activities." The DoJ or the copyright owner would be able to commence a legal action against the alleged infringer and the DoJ would be allowed to demand that search engines, social networking sites and domain name services block access to the targeted site. In some cases, action could be taken to block sites without first allowing the alleged infringer to defend themselves in court.
    Too Much depression to do much Hidden Content Hidden Content

SOPA have good intentions. However, the Anti-SOPA also have their own reasons for opposing this bill. The privacy of internet users is at stake here.

Rest in Peace 1946 - 2013 deepsand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noelagnote View Post
    The privacy of internet users is at stake here.
    Just how is that the case?