Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Thread: Browser Compatibility

Browser Compatibility

Hi,

Can anyone please tell me how to check browsers compatibility with browsers.

thanks

The easiest way to check for cross browser compatibility is to have each browser installed on your machine. Make a change, refresh each and check the change fixed the problem.

There are services like Browsershots where you could do more but you have to wait for the results.
    Accrete Web Solutions - Search engine friendly websites, ecommerce websites & blogs
    Web Page Mistakes - Web page mistakes with solutions
    HTML Basic Tutor - HTML help to learn HTML basics

3. The following user agrees with HTMLBasicTutor:
    You could also be a snob (as I am) and code to the standards using the html validator service (google "html validator") . I find that works for 99% of the market that effects my clients. - the rest can update their browsers.
    Writing software for 20 years.
    HTML/CSS and other how-to articles: http://upwithabang.com/
    Latest Facebook game: http://apps.facebook.com/pickuppoker

Rest in Peace 1946 - 2013 deepsand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorRex View Post
    You could also be a snob (as I am) and code to the standards using the html validator service (google "html validator") . I find that works for 99% of the market that effects my clients. - the rest can update their browsers.
    What browser is 100% compliant with all standards short of HTLM5 and CSS3, which are both works in progress?

Does compliance necessarily result in the same physical results across all rendering engines and platforms?

Quote Originally Posted by deepsand View Post
    Does compliance necessarily result in the same physical results across all rendering engines and platforms?
    No, however, if you run your pages through the W3C HTML Validator and W3C CSS Validator then fix the problems noted you have eliminated coding mistakes as the issue and can move on to improving your coding so it is cross-browser compatible or resort to hacks (not advisable as this creates more work later).

Each browser interprets each HTML element and attribute differently. You have to learn to work with this so the pages appear as close as possible to as intended.
    Accrete Web Solutions - Search engine friendly websites, ecommerce websites & blogs
    Web Page Mistakes - Web page mistakes with solutions
    HTML Basic Tutor - HTML help to learn HTML basics

Rest in Peace 1946 - 2013 deepsand's Avatar
    Agreed.

However, RaptorRex seems to hold that validation in and of itself is sufficient.

Along with the use of the validator for both HTML and CSS, I also use small snips of CSS that are browser specific. That way when a user is viewing from different browsers, certain CSS properties take control and help control how the pages look. So you can generally get them pretty close to similar if not the same in multiple browsers. When it comes to IE (ugh) you can use JS and replacement CSS files to help it not look so bad.