Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Joomla vs. Drupal

Joomla vs. Drupal

I know very little about both Joomla and Drupal. I've looked through both apps sites briefly and will look further into it when time allows, but thought I'd ask a few questions here. Drupal was suggested as an app to look into for future use but I've come across a recent thread here discussing Joomla - but it was more about Joomla vs. Wordpress.

So I'd like to ask, what are your experiences with Joomla and or Drupal (good and not so good) and would you recommend either for developer/hosting use and/or where a client wants to update and manage some content on their own? Do client users need tutorials beyond what the Joomla and Drupal sites offer for instructional use?

I thank you in advance for your input.
    Hidden Content Markham
    Hidden Content Web Design
    Online SEO Hidden Content Markham.

Well, both of them got left in the dust with wordpress came along and a lot of smart developers moved over to wordpress and pretty much abandoned both Joomla and Drupal. We used to build site in both, but can't in good faith put a client into either one. Not if they really want to make any money.

I actually did a blog post on why we don't either anymore if you are interested in further details over at 21to21.com. Just search for Joomla.

The long and short of it is that they just did not keep pace with Wordpress which is why WP has more users than the other two combined.

So take your pick, either one is not your best choice for and open source CMS.

Cheers,
    Andrew Easy Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Anderson View Post
    Well, both of them got left in the dust with wordpress came along and a lot of smart developers moved over to wordpress and pretty much abandoned both Joomla and Drupal.
    I appreciate your points @Easy Anderson. Again, not knowing much about either I am looking for this sort of input. You see, I originally decided to ask the question because an associate of mine (project manager in a large telecom company up here) said their developers use Drupal for at least parts of their enterprise solution site. So I started looking around to see if it was something for the average developer and perhaps the "somewhat technically inclinded" client.
    Hidden Content Markham
    Hidden Content Web Design
    Online SEO Hidden Content Markham.

Wordpress is catching up, but in my company's experience it is Joomla that has the edge when it comes to training customers on editing their own content. Joomla also has 8000+ extensions (there's an app for that). Nobody has abandoned Joomla, in fact it's 2.7% of the internet's web pages.

Drupal is much harder to learn and use, that is why it is called the 'programmers' CMS'.
    Sitecats Web Development, Doylestown, PA Hidden Content
    Easy to edit Joomla websites - New Sites - Conversions - 215-345-9050

Wordpress, Joomla and Drupal

I agree with the response about Wordpress vs. Joomla and Drupal. I own hundreds of sites and started on using raw .html and for many years it served a function. I my quest for a way to spend less time managing my sites and focusing more on money making, I looked at all the platformes and only after extensive research, decided on wordpress and I will never go back. Honestly, if you cannot take advantage of what wordpress provides, you need to find another line of work.

I converted all of my sites to wordpress. I think that upon careful examination, you will too. When you compare wordpress vs Joomla and Drupal, there is no comparison. The number of themes (layout and design of the site) that are entirely free number in the thousands. The number of plugins that add a universe of versatility to the website range in the tens of thousands and most are open source, or free. Setting up the site on any cpanel host solution is so simple and effortless vs. any other method, again, no comparison. I have literally chosen a theme, installed wordpress and had a live site in minutes. And maintaining the site is so simple. There's no umbilical cord to the developer. I can post new content from anywhere in the world, even from my cell phone. And making it mobile friendly is as complicated as uploading and installing a plugin, creating two or three pages and minutes later, DONE. What I like most about wordpress is that, by comparison to conventional websites, is that search engines often index new posts in hours vs. any other solution. What is not to like? Admittedly, there are a dizzying number of new themes, plugins, training programs being introduced daily. Much of this information is already available for free or at low cost. To ferret through the hodge-podge of information, I am in the process of setting up a very low cost membership site that will truly be a wealth of information for ".... all things wordpress". Right now while the membership is selling for only $1. for the first month and only $7. for a regular monthly membership, thereafter, you should go now to: wp-admin.info
    Last edited by JohnMauldin; 10-04-2011 at 04:14 PM.
    Website Operator, Public Speaker, Owner of manufacturing company making Hidden Content and Hidden Content with the lowest prices and highest quality on or off the net!

Most any customization in Wordpress requires HTML/PHP expertise. Wordpress was designed to make blogging easy, not create functional real-world websites. With many hours of custom programming, yes, you can make it do most anything.

Joomla and Drupal, lots of programming involved to make a client happy.

I think it depends on who you ask versus what answer you will get.

Blogs and simple sites - Wordpress
    - Wordpress is extremely easy to use and setup. It is also a great way for people who have no technical background to update their site. As a developer myself, I've completely created entire sites and plugged in wordpress modules to make my own blog theme so I know it can be done for your own site as well. The big thing here is to make sure you never update your wordpress or else when they change things you will see errors. For security reasons I don't like this, but for functionality and ease of use it works great.

Extensive sites - Joomla
    - Joomla is just a great way to build a complex system without having to install 1,000,000 unrelated plugins that are written by bad developers like wordpress. I'm currently converting a site I created on wordpress (with several php pages hand coded by me) into a Joomla site where everything is contained in the CMS. There are also a ton of free joomla templates out there, you just have to know how to do a google search. It takes a little longer to get things setup initially, but once everything is setup then it is fairly easy to maintain.

Drupal is a mess... I have had problem after problem with the CMS as far as errors arising out of nowhere.

Best suggestion is to check out the themes and your needs

I have strictly used Joomla for the past 6 years. I don't recall anymore why I chose it over Drupal and Wordpress. However, I have not had any issues. The latest themes are so advanced, you cannot differentiate between a custom website and a Joomla template. The latest templates can accommodate just about any type of site and the templates are to the point that you no longer need to customize anything and it will do everything that you need out of the box. Some Joomla templates have switches to enable iPhone and Android versions. You can't make it any easier. However, I am going to add Wordpress to my arsenal due to amount of SEO plugins that are now available. The reason Drupal may seem more difficult to use is also because it the most scalable of the 3. A lot of large firms have teams that develop high end websites and there are also freelancers that develop many websites easily with the very same product.

I recommend that you spend a good amount of time to research all 3 platforms. Look at your requirements and also research the add-ons that are available. This includes both free and paid. Then make your own decision. There is no 1 size fits all solution here.

My exclusive focus is providing SEO consultation and directly related services. My clients continuously were looking to me for advice regarding CMS solutions. I spent weeks researching a dozen CMS packages including Joomla, Drupal, wordpress, ExpressionEngine, Concrete5, DotNetNuke, vBulletin, and numerous others. I narrowed the field down to three choices: Drupal, Joomla and wordpress.

I began working with Drupal and had some questions. I went to the official Drupal site and tried to research my question. All I could find is several posts from others asking identical or close variations to my same question which went unanswered. I went ahead and posted my question and the only response I received was by another person who was seeking the same answers I needed. I also noticed Drupal has much fewer extensions available and seemed a less popular CMS. I accordingly crossed it off my list.

I adopted Joomla for my site instead of WP. If you are looking for a full-blown CMS package, Joomla offers the best flexibility and tons of extensions and themes. While it is true wordpress offers even more extensions and themes, once you pass a certain point it simply does not matter. I recommend wordpress to clients who only need a blog or otherwise are looking to develop simple sites. wordpress is also preferable for clients who are looking for more simplicity. Another way to look at it is wordpress is like Windows as a CMS. Joomla is more like Linux as a CMS. Joomla is more powerful, but more complex.

I am sure this reply will lead to a lot of opinions being shared, but that's what a forums is for, right?

With any CMS I recommend to resist the need to make customizations. If the functionality does not exist already in the CMS find a well established extension or plugin which meets your needs. The good (and bad) thing about any CMS solutions is they are frequently updated. Any updates can lead to customizations breaking. You are caught in a situation where either you skip the update and leave yourself open to security issues, bugs and reduced functionality, or accept the update and pay for a developer to adjust customizations. Joomla offers the most flexibility in this regard, where wordpress will often require customizations if you go too far beyond a simple site.

10. The Following 2 users agree with RyanK:
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Anderson View Post
    Well, both of them got left in the dust with wordpress came along and a lot of smart developers moved over to wordpress and pretty much abandoned both Joomla and Drupal.
    I'd say that was true for certain types of site, not all. Wordpress has certainly hammered the competition for the smaller, SME sites and of course blogs, but I don't see many larger organisations using it, whereas I do see that with Joomla and Drupal. So LD, if you are looking for something to work with larger clients on, then one of those two might be more appropriate.

Personally, I've only seen Joomla up close and found it to be 'software written by software engineers, for software engineers'. What I mean is that it was very busy and very confusing for end users to use.

Now I have an axe to grind here because we do a hosted CMS for developers (so note vested interest in everything said from here ).

We are constantly told 'why bother, there's Joomla, Drupal, Wordpress, Plune etc'. Well as I said, if you are trying to get to work with larger more tech savvy clients, then you will experience that they behave slightly differently and it's not just a question of which software. They are after customisation, on going support, SLAs, encryption, integration with internal business systems. As a front end developer, you become responsible for all of that. Just popping Joomla/Drupal/Wordpress on a shared server somewhere and making it look nice won't cut it. You will need some serious technical back up.

So maybe you have to look more deeply into what you want the CMS to do for your business, and then make a more informed decision.

Hope that helps a bit.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hidden Content (tm) - A Hidden Content for Hidden Content and marketing agencies