Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Very confusing SERP stats

  1. #11
    Rest in Peace 1946 - 2013 deepsand's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    State College, PA
    Posts
    16,376
    I can think of several reasons why one might care about both particulars; but, I'll hold silent on that pending Don's response.

  2. #12
    Administrator LD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    3rd rock from the sun
    Posts
    6,556
    Quote Originally Posted by deepsand View Post
    I can think of several reasons why one might care about both particulars; but, I'll hold silent on that pending Don's response.
    So you are saying there is reason to care.
    Web Design Markham
    Responsive WordPress Web Design
    Online SEO Press Releases Markham.

  3. #13
    WebProWorld MVP Clint1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Sitting down in a chair
    Posts
    2,225
    Quote Originally Posted by LD View Post
    Actually, I do. Which is why I posed the question. If we stop asking "why", then we'll never know, even if the answer is "we'll never know", which of itself, is at least an attempt at an answer. That, and an associate/client asked about this a little while back.
    This has been going on for many years regardless of the search, and I too have always wondered why. If they claim a search has X results, then why not show them all instead of showing X - n where 'n' is a huge number? Apparently they deem the 'sequestered penalized' results as 'unworthy' and not worth anyone wanting to see them. Another way they censor results (but in all fairness to them, the other SE's may do the same thing....which still does not make it right).
    God Bless,
    -Clint
    (Join Date: 1999)

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint1 View Post
    This has been going on for many years regardless of the search, and I too have always wondered why. If they claim a search has X results, then why not show them all instead of showing X - n where 'n' is a huge number? Apparently they deem the 'sequestered penalized' results as 'unworthy' and not worth anyone wanting to see them. Another way they censor results (but in all fairness to them, the other SE's may do the same thing....which still does not make it right).
    I never noticed that, so I took some time this morning to test SERPS on multiple queries, from rack space to cookware. I'm not seeing what you describe. In fact, every single search query returned the same number of results regardless of which page I clicked through to.
    Infusing Markets LLC - We design mobile and desktop websites

  5. #15
    WebProWorld MVP Clint1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Sitting down in a chair
    Posts
    2,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-Hostirian View Post
    I never noticed that, so I took some time this morning to test SERPS on multiple queries, from rack space to cookware. I'm not seeing what you describe. In fact, every single search query returned the same number of results regardless of which page I clicked through to.
    Got me. I just now did a search and all I saw at the top was: "About 4,630,000 results", that's it. I clicked through the end of every single page navigation at the bottom in order to get to the end which was only 71 pages, and then I saw the typical: "In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 707 already displayed. If you like, you can repeat the search with the omitted results included." So I had to do the frickin' search all over again (as usual), clicked through all the pages again, and was stopped at only 100 pages, and at the top it says: "Page 100 of about 4,620,000 results", which is only 1000 results, about 4,619,000 omitted. Which as I said is typical for many years. So I don't understand what you're seeing.
    God Bless,
    -Clint
    (Join Date: 1999)

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint1 View Post
    Got me. I just now did a search and all I saw at the top was: "About 4,630,000 results", that's it. I clicked through the end of every single page navigation at the bottom in order to get to the end which was only 71 pages, and then I saw the typical: "In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 707 already displayed. If you like, you can repeat the search with the omitted results included." So I had to do the frickin' search all over again (as usual), clicked through all the pages again, and was stopped at only 100 pages, and at the top it says: "Page 100 of about 4,620,000 results", which is only 1000 results, about 4,619,000 omitted. Which as I said is typical for many years. So I don't understand what you're seeing.
    Just did this again with a query of rack space. I got - About 7,990,000 results (0.10 seconds), then clicked on page 10 and got - Page 10 of about 25,400,000 results (0.11 seconds) - Go figure
    Infusing Markets LLC - We design mobile and desktop websites

  7. #17
    Rest in Peace 1946 - 2013 deepsand's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    State College, PA
    Posts
    16,376
    Quote Originally Posted by DonOmite View Post
    And more to the point ... who cares?
    Quote Originally Posted by LD View Post
    Please explain.
    Quote Originally Posted by deepsand View Post
    Who cares that they're so badly off?

    Who cares why that's the case?

    Both?
    [tap ... tap ... tap ...]

    Don, is this thing on?

  8. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    29
    This has been going on Google for a long time.
    This is what they explain the reason for this type of search result:
    In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the X already displayed.
    If you like, you can repeat the search with the omitted results included.
    Do a search and you will find it dated back to 2 Apr 2003 as discussed on webmasterworld.com/
    "In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the"

    If that would have been a error Google must have corrected it.

  9. #19
    WebProWorld MVP Clint1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Sitting down in a chair
    Posts
    2,225
    Quote Originally Posted by SinghVineet View Post
    This has been going on Google for a long time.
    This is what they explain the reason for this type of search result:


    Do a search and you will find it dated back to 2 Apr 2003 as discussed on webmasterworld.com/
    "In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the"
    But that (and what you quoted) is not what we're talking about here. Read again.


    If that would have been a error Google must have corrected it.
    (G rarely corrects errors anyway). But that's not what we're saying anyway. It's an omission. "If you like, you can repeat the search with the omitted results included", but when you do that they do not give you results with all of "the omitted results included".

    I think I now remember hearing a long time ago that G limits results to only 100 pages.
    God Bless,
    -Clint
    (Join Date: 1999)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •