Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Thread: Pale Moon project

Pale Moon project

Check this browser out. Based on Firefox, it is an open source and suppose to be faster and more secure.
    http://www.palemoon.org/

Trying it out now. Well not in this posting, but in another window on other missions. So far it's impressive, but there are some screws still a little loose. Then again, it could be my screws that are loose and this browser has come around and pointed them out. Opera is always good for that.

Rest in Peace 1946 - 2013 deepsand's Avatar
    I've installed Pale Moon 8, the equivalent of FF 8, and am impressed.

While it's not noticeably faster than FF, it is ever so much more frugal with memory. Haven't done any strict comparisons yet; but, in general with an equal or larger number of tabs running in it, it's using roughly one-third the RAM that FF does. And, that's not even including what the FF plug-container.exe process uses.

So far, across a wide variety of sites, I've had no problems with hung scripts, as is frequently the case with FF, or crashes. And, everything seems to be functioning just as it does in FF.

Addendum: It uses the usual FF extensions; add-ons, plug-ins & themes.
    Last edited by deepsand; 12-31-2011 at 03:23 AM. Reason: added Addendum

I've just downloaded it and got it running as well as Firefox.. it's got the same errors that my FF does.. it runs smoothly and uses less than half the RAM that FireFox does.. though I think the errors are because it's Mozilla and for some reason on my computer (I've not yet figured out why) FF has been having issues parsing CSS properly. But I like it.. When I get my new computer I'll be downloading/installing it again and testing it more in depth when I can make sure that neither it nor FireFox are having any sort of issues.

Thanks for sharing this though, I'd never heard of PaleMoon before

Quote Originally Posted by Talks_44 View Post
    ... it's got the same errors that my FF does.
    What sort of errors?

In re. CSS, which level?

For some reason, a lot of sites whether using CSS 2.1 or CSS3 aren't displaying correctly. Though I can go to another computer in my house using the same version of FF and the same computer even, and it will display perfectly fine. Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't work.

There's a problem where certain images appear darker than normal and CSS just looks different than it should. Looks perfectly fine in Chrome.. this computer is just a piece of junk.

CSS3 is a work in progress; different browsers have each implemented only different subsets of it.

Aside from that, all browsers render styles differently from others, and differently on different platforms; there is no physical standard for such, and cannot be, as there is no standard hardware platform.

Yes.. but I have two identical computers with the same OS and the same version of FireFox. One looks fine, completely normal, mine does not. So it's this computer, something happened ever since I recovered it from the viruses that a family member got infected. So I know it's this computer that is acting.

I know all about CSS3, I work with it and I code with it. It's just something about this particular computer.

I made mention of CSS3 not being fully standardized, etal., owing to your mention of FF and Chrome behaving differently.

It was merely a comparison that the same sites have far too drastic of changes to be a normal browser specific CSS error.