Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Thread: Help Retrieving Video From Chrome's Temporary Internet Files - Mac

Question Help Retrieving Video From Chrome's Temporary Internet Files - Mac

As the title says, I watch the video once before I deleted it and I'm presuming and hoping it's still in my Chrome's temporary internet files.

The reason I hope is because I can't see what type of files they are, they're all in the format of f_003fa6 and f_003fa3 and f_003fc6, and secondly I don't even know if those files are actual representations of any temporary internet files I used!

I hope im in the right path of Library/Caches/Google/Chrome/Default/Cache

Help?

Go to folder options and the view tab. Find 'Hide extensions for known file types' and unclick it and then apply.
    Now, in the cache you will see .flv, mostly but other vid format files. Use the details view and click to sort by size. The names are still goofy, but your vids will be several megabytes per mintute, and you can also sort by date if you know when you watched it. Then copy and paste, drag and drop, use the 'copy to' in your right click, and save the file. Rename it.
    I use a free program called VideoCacheView v1.97 - Save downloaded video files from Web browser cache.
    If you download the zip, just extract and use - no installation. You can watch the vids from the cache until you find the one you want, but use the size to narrow it down, there are tons of little vid files from ads and all that.

BTW, nirsoft makes excellent freeware utilities.
    Babies don't need a vacation, but I still see them at the beach... it pisses me off! I'll go over to a little baby and say 'What are you doing here? You haven't worked a day in your life!'
    Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by mikmik View Post
    Go to folder options and the view tab.
    Thank you so much mikmik, I shall check into this shortly but could you clarify the above? I don't know where to start...I tried system preferences to no avail...

Oh, sorry! This is for windows 7 :
    Go to your control panel either in the start menu(On right side), or if you don't have it showing, just click the start button and in the "Search programs and files" box, type 'folder options' and the results will have a link to open Folder Options. Click it, and the Folder Options window/panel will open. Then click the middle tab called 'View.' There is a box called 'Advanced settings:' and look in there to see a list of selections.
    Then, about 8 down, just beneath the 2 indented options, 2 more down is the "Hide extensions for known file types" which is probably checked. Make sure to uncheck it and then click 'Apply' at the bottom of the window.
    Now you can go to the cache and see which files are video files, and sort them by size or date. You do that by selecting 'Details' in the view menu at the top of the windows explorer window.

There is a lot of ways in each version of windows - I can't remember XP exactly.

Really, download that program I linked above, it is really easy to use, and way faster than searching the browser cache manually.
    Last edited by mikmik; 08-22-2011 at 04:32 PM. Reason: clarify
    Babies don't need a vacation, but I still see them at the beach... it pisses me off! I'll go over to a little baby and say 'What are you doing here? You haven't worked a day in your life!'
    Steven Wright