Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Security concerns at GoDaddy.com

Security concerns at GoDaddy.com

Hi friends, I recently purchased a domain name at GoDaddy.com. I used my uncle's credit card to make the purchase. After the purchase was made, GoDaddy.com, sent a mail to me saying that to protect me from identity theft and credit card fraud, I had to submit "payment method account holder's government-issued photo identification, such as a driver's license or passport" as a part of the verification process. I duly uploaded a scanned copy of his passport. Now I have received one more message from GoDaddy.com asking me to submit:

-Statement from your financial institution showing the original purchase. For your privacy, you may mark out all but the last four digits of your account number as well as any transactions with other companies.

- If a credit, debit, or gift card was used for payment, provide an image of the front and back of the card. To preserve the integrity of your payment information, please mark out the three/four digit security code and all but the last four digits of the card number. The name line must be visible.

I have now uploaded a scanned copy of the credit card, both front and back side of the card.

I am just wondering if these guys are for real? I mean they are asking so many details to ensure authenticity of the payment. Now if it was my credit card, this would be ok. But it is my uncle's credit card. I cannot be asking him to mail me a copy of his bank statement which shows the transactions he has made with other companies using that credit card.

I am wondering how all this helps protect me from identity theft. Are these people genuine or did I end up at a phishing site. I check the address bar, it has the lock and even the GoDaddy logo appears, and the URL appears fine. Can anybody help me and tell me what is going on?

Thanks in advance.

Rest in Peace 1946 - 2013 deepsand's Avatar
    Yes, GoDaddy is a legitimate firm, here engaged in guarding against card fraud.

This is a standard anti-fraud practice for "card-not-in-hand" transactions where the card issuer/servicer does not participate in the automatic Address Verification System (AVS), or in those instances where the AVS return code indicate that the address you provided does not match the billing/statement address of record with the card card issuer/servicer

Why not call them directly to verify these requirements are true? http://community.godaddy.com/support/?ci=22414&tab=3
    Accrete Web Solutions - Search engine friendly websites, ecommerce websites & blogs
    Web Page Mistakes - Web page mistakes with solutions
    HTML Basic Tutor - HTML help to learn HTML basics

Thanks guys. But I hope you understand, that even though he is my uncle, how difficult it is going to be for me to ask him to part with his financial transaction details. It is going to be pretty embarrassing.

Also one more thing. What happens if I do not provide them this information or more information they are going to ask? Will the amount deducted from the credit card during the purchase of the domain name, be returned/re-credit to him? Or they will simply take the money and put the blame on me?

The pieces of information that GD requested are the usual. They demonstrate that you have access, not only to the card, but to the card holder's records.

In the absence of your providing the latter, they may decline to accept your order, as merely having the card does not preclude its having been stolen.

Unfortunately, attempted card fraud in on-line transactions is quite high, with the result that most merchant acquiring banks now require that their merchant clients whose business is mainly conducted on-line follow rather strict procedures in this regards. Equally unfortunate is the fact that, outside of Canada and the US, few card issuers participate in the automatic AVS, so that buyers such as yourself are then forced to perform additional and sometimes burdensome manual steps toward validating that your use of the card is legitimate.

Thanks deepsand. Lets see what happens. BTW, I used AMEX card. I think I must have participated in AVS. As long as they return the money, I think I will be ok with it.

I think the only way out is start some kind of electronic wallet service which is tied to your email id, into which you pour money and then make online purchases. It should be possible to deposit money into this wallet through cheque or cash payments or using debit/credit cards, in the latter case, a one time validation can be made of the card holders authenticity. All online stores should accept payment through the e-wallet. E-wallet can also be tied to bank accounts, and the banks should verify the authenticity.

Just my two cents.

That the card is branded by AMX is no assurance that the issuing bank participates in the AVS.

And, if the AVS was here available, and you used an address other than that of your uncle's AMX billing address, that would have flagged the transaction.

For future purposes, you might ask your uncle to see if AMX will add your address as an authorized alternative one. I do know that that was once the case, so as to accommodate card holders who needed to have goods shipped to an address different from their billing address ; but, I am uncertain if they still do that.

Quote Originally Posted by deepsand View Post
    The pieces of information that GD requested are the usual. They demonstrate that you have access, not only to the card, but to the card holder's records.
    No, they aren't.. No one asks for all the numbers EXCEPT the last four.. Everyone blanks out all numbers except the last four.. By handing over the everything but the last four you are WIDE open to theft..

Stop sending them information right now and physically CALL them to verify.. I'd wager you have about a 60% chance of this being a fraud attempt..

I have seen a lot of these types of fraud attempts on newly registered domains.. The thieves see a new domain and begin the phishing process.. I get them all the time and have never replied to any of them.. I still have all my domains..

Again, stop sending information and call GoDaddy customer service to verify that this is really them asking for this information.. There is no valid reason for them to need a copy of the credit card statement to complete this transaction..
    You can't create artful marketing with color by number seo

9. The Following 2 users agree with SteveGerencser:
    Thanks Steve, they have only asked for the last four digits. But I will take your advice and keep an eye out on everything happens.
    Last edited by harishkumar09; 06-12-2011 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by harishkumar09 View Post
    I check the address bar, it has the lock and even the GoDaddy logo appears, and the URL appears fine.
    If you provide any and all URLs here involved, I'll check them out.

If contained in an e-mail, be sure to copy the actual URL, not just the Anchor Text that is visually displayed.