Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Thread: Social network or bulletin board or both

Question Social network or bulletin board or both

Today I finally had the time to read an old book, published in may 2005:
    Building Online Communities with phpBB

I found the following

An online bulletin board in essence is an Internet-enabled version of the bulletin boards found in stores and other public areas. It's basically just a place where people leave messages for others to read. Well, the online bulletin board applications have become much more powerful and sophisticated than that, but the general principle is the same. phpBB is one of the most popular free software that implement the bulletin board idea on the Web today.
    Static, brochure-like sites are becoming outdated. Communities rule the Web. This is good news for both site owners and site visitors. Sites are built to be visited and used by people and at the same time, the people are taking part in building the sites they visit. Site owners can get immediate feedback on what their visitors like or dislike, and visitors get new and fresh content on every visit. It's quite common these days that the community would not just influence a site owner's decisions, but even make the decisions through polls or open discussions. So it's not an exaggeration to say that more often than not, the success or the failure of a website is determined by the success or the failure in building an online community around the website. At the end of the day, a site is build to be used by the people and the people have the final say if this site is worth something or not.
    two quotes with my bolding extremely interesting.

I did not know the Norwegian word for bulletin board. Today I looked it up and the Norwegian word is "oppslagstavle". A board where important messages is announced. I have seen such real boards filled with too many messages, so important messages drown i the other messages. For that reason, it is important that a message board, eg. on a shopping center is kept up to date and old and irrelevant (spam) messages rmoved. So can a good real message board bring customers to the center. I am looking for a new job, and I visit the well organised and known message board outside shopping center GoodInfo. Think of it for a while? Has the forum role taken more and more of the bulletin board roal on internet bulletin boards?

So an internet bulletin board is like those found on shopping centers with important annoncements or bulletins. This came as a revelation to me since I have seen at lot of forums developing into what I will call "blogged community chats". Often very annoying with too many posts.

FaceBook is a social network. The same with WebProWorld, but it is also a bulletin board. It is vBulletin driven and my own boards are driven by phpBB (PHP + Bulletin Board). I liked what I found, totay and changed the first rule of my forums.

So what is the difference between a social network, a forum and a bulletin board?

I like the pure Bulletin Board idea.
    Last edited by kgun; 05-28-2011 at 11:04 AM.
    Hidden Content :: Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Conversations creates communities and conversions create profit.

Not much, I think the profiles in a social network are front and center, where a bulletin board, the threads are up front and center. Both have private messaging...

I think a social network encourages one to make their own thread, and to keep that thread a part of their profile (their wall), and FB has a photo gallery and an event calendar with sharing, probably a few more things.

But generally, I like the bulletin boards better. Some are claiming that vBulletin with it's recent "pages" capability makes it a full blown CMS. So in some regards, perhaps it is more a social CMS than any of the other popular CMSs / Blogs out there.

I am trying out 'Google friends' on one section of my site. (started yesterday) I would dearly love to have my own social section but finding something that I can operate without assistant seems an impossible task.

There seems to be endless options on the net to add social networks to web sites. . But all seem to cover the needs of the programmer that writes the software . . few cover the needs of my web site visitors.

Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content
    If Optimising for google gives you a headache? - try optimising your Users

Rest in Peace 1946 - 2013 deepsand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kgun View Post
    So what is the difference between a social network, a forum and a bulletin board?
    Might it be that the question conflates form with function?

Quote Originally Posted by MrGamm View Post
    But generally, I like the bulletin boards better. Some are claiming that vBulletin with it's recent "pages" capability makes it a full blown CMS. So in some regards, perhaps it is more a social CMS than any of the other popular CMSs / Blogs out there.
    And even if it is a bulletin / message board, spam bots can be very annoying. Read this

http://www.oopschool.com/phpBB3/view...php?f=40&t=202

post. That tool that I use there is easy to modify to bulk delete 100 000 and more spambots in one operation if you have the server resources. If any senior WP member need that script, PM me. There may be others out there that are upgrading phpBB from version 2.0.* to 3.08.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby View Post
    I am trying out 'Google friends' on one section of my site. (started yesterday) I would dearly love to have my own social section but finding something that I can operate without assistant seems an impossible task.

There seems to be endless options on the net to add social networks to web sites. . But all seem to cover the needs of the programmer that writes the software . . few cover the needs of my web site visitors.
    If you really need one, there is a good platform: http://www.oopschool.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=19 Elgg It comes with a free that I think is good enough for most users and a proprietary.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by deepsand View Post
    Very short answer deepsand. Can you elaborate on that? You should have enough time to give a thorough answer, since I will most probably not read It berfore I return from hollyday. It is late Norwegian night, so I go to bed.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by deepsand
    Very short answer deepsand. Can you elaborate on that?
    Social networks and forums perform different functions. The former not merely allows of, but encourages ad hoc virtual nets; the latter, by design, imposes a hierarchical structure. Loosely speaking, the former accommodates many-to-many relationships, while the latter allows only of one-to-many and many-to-one.

A bulletin board is a particular form of application, one that can be used for different purposes, one being to function as the platform for a forum.

Quote Originally Posted by deepsand View Post
    A bulletin board is a particular form of application, one that can be used for different purposes, one being to function as the platform for a forum.
    So if you install a typical social network plattform like Elgg, you should be able to build a true many to many relationship social network around your message / bullitin board?

My last post at WPW before I take a holiday.

Have a nice summer.

In Australia and elsewhere have a nice winter, spring or autumn.
    Hidden Content

So if you install a typical social network plattform like Elgg, you should be able to build a true many to many relationship social network around your message / bullitin board?
    I'm not familiar with Elgg.

Nonetheless, it would seem unlikely, as bulletin boards do not facilitate ad hoc many-to-many relationships. Presumably you would need to be able to incorporate a BB into your Elgg environment.

My last post at WPW before I take a holiday.
    How long a vacation?