Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hack for IE: Right-click context menu addition: "Open in FireFox" or Chrome or other

Lightbulb Hack for IE: Right-click context menu addition: "Open in FireFox" or Chrome or other

This is a really useful hack or addition to IE's right-click context menu if certain webpages aren't working or displaying properly in IE, or if you just want to quickly and easily view the page or any link in another browser with a simple right-click.

FireFox example:

Paste this into a text file, call it fopen.html, save it with the .html extension:

Code:
    <html>
    <body>
    <script language="javascript">
    /*
    Don't blame me if you screw something up. ;-)
    */
    <!--
    var gsNO_WCRIPT_ERROR='This requires the Windows Scripting Host, which is not installed on your System.\n'+
                          'You may download the Windows Scripting host from \n'+
                          'http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting .'

var win = external.menuArguments;
    var sFile;
    var element = win.document.activeElement;
    if (element.href)
    {
        sFile=element.href;
    }
    else
    {
        sFile=win.document.URL;
    }

try
    {
      var WshShell = new ActiveXObject("WScript.Shell");
      var sFDPath = 'C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Firefox\\firefox.exe';
      var oExec = WshShell.run('"' + sFDPath + '" "' + sFile + '"', 2);
    }
    catch(ex)
    {
      win.alert(gsNO_WCRIPT_ERROR)
    }
    -->
    </script>
    </body>
    </html>

If you have extensions hidden, it will just look like "fopen" with the default IE or browser icon.

Next, paste this into a text file, call it anything you want, save it with the .reg extension:

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MenuExt\&Open in Firefox]
    @="C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Firefox\\fopen.html"

Of course make sure your paths are correct, that's the default location for FF. Then import that to your Registry.

You can do this exact same thing with Chrome. Make sure you change the path to the Chrome path in both of these files.

Now in IE, you can right click any link or even a bare area of a webpage and you'll have "Open in Chrome" and "Open in FireFox". I would assume you can also do this with Opera or other browsers.

This works on IE6 and XP, I would guess it also works in IE7+, as long as that Reg file path is the same. If not, you'd have to find the "MenuExt" or similar in the Registry for the later IE version. I can't say for sure if it will work on Vista or Win7.

2. The following user agrees with Clint1:
    OMG Clint, it's like you read my mind! I was thinking this exact same thing less than 12 hours ago! I was almost going to create a post on it...

And thank you so much for the Chrome part too, I use Chrome the most and really been wanting this type of functionality for a long time...

Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by morestar View Post
    OMG Clint, it's like you read my mind! I was thinking this exact same thing less than 12 hours ago! I was almost going to create a post on it...

And thank you so much for the Chrome part too, I use Chrome the most and really been wanting this type of functionality for a long time...

Thanks man!
    You're welcome, glad it can help.

While I like FF more than Chrome, it's a a lot faster than FF. Right clicking and opening in FF takes ages, but it's very fast when doing it with Chrome. But it's so stripped down with no features. Do you know if there are any plug-ins or add-ons for Chrome like what's available for FF? Or anything that can give it more of a right click menu and a full toolbar?

Rest in Peace 1946 - 2013 deepsand's Avatar
    Nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint1 View Post
    While I like FF more than Chrome, it's a a lot faster than FF. Right clicking and opening in FF takes ages, but it's very fast when doing it with Chrome.?
    Odd; it responds lickety split for me.

Quote Originally Posted by deepsand View Post
    Nicely done.
    Thanks.

Odd; it responds lickety split for me.
    I thought you said FF was slow for you. Through numerous installs, reinstalls, removals, and even reformats, FF is as slow as me when "my back goes out".

Do you know if there are any plug-ins or add-ons for Chrome like what's available for FF? Or anything that can give it more of a right click menu and a full toolbar?

I thought you said FF was slow for you.
    It generally is, compared to IE6. But, here it snaps to.

Do you know if there are any plug-ins or add-ons for Chrome like what's available for FF? Or anything that can give it more of a right click menu and a full toolbar?
    Sorry; can't help out here. Had so damn many problems with Chrome that I ripped it out of every machine I use.

Had so damn many problems with Chrome that I ripped it out of every machine I use.
    Such as? .......

Such as? .......
    Mostly constant installation issues, such as:
    • Silent failures to install; had to go looking for the log files to see what happened.
    • Failure to install, by way of complaining that an "incompatible earlier version" was installed; too dumb to be able to update itself without manual intervention.
    • Failure to remove files and Reg. Hive entries for earlier versions.

Any application that cannot properly update itself without assistance isn't ready for prime time.

Mostly constant installation issues, such as:
    • Silent failures to install; had to go looking for the log files to see what happened.
    • Failure to install, by way of complaining that an "incompatible earlier version" was installed; too dumb to be able to update itself without manual intervention.
    • Failure to remove files and Reg. Hive entries for earlier versions.

Any application that cannot properly update itself without assistance isn't ready for prime time.
    Just how are you supposed to update it? I've looked all over and I can't find any "Check for Updates" area or something like that.

(Anyone) How are you supposed to automatically clear its cache, cookies, and history, when exiting? IE and FF has that, certainly Chrome should.

BTW, I just clicked the FF icon on my Quick Launch toolbar, and about 40 seconds later it finally opened.