Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP Home Desktop Background... Where's the picture?

Windows XP Home Desktop Background... Where's the picture?

Hello Folks!
    Thank you for reading this thread.
    I have a client's laptop that I am backing up to transfer the files to his new laptop.
    His desktop background is of his 2 grandsons on a tube being pulled by his boat.

The image is called "Dscf0755[1]" per the display properties "Desktop" tab.

I have scoured this bloody laptop for an hour. It is not in docs, root C:\, on the desktop... I have even searched the computer for the file name, even gone so far as to just search all files and folders, including hidden and system files for "Dscf" and "dscf", etc.

I cannot locate the image ANYWHERE.

I am not a fool, but this one is kicking my rear end.

Can anyone suggest a way to locate the file? It is the only thing holding me up from delivering his new laptop. I don't want to give him the new machine without it, I mean, how will that make me look? "Uh, I can't find that picture, sir..."

Cmon, I can't believe I am even posting this. I am emberassed as heck, but I just can't find it!
    HELP ME PLEASE!

Thank you all in advance,
    Tim
    So, here's the signature... Sans bold...

Wow. Not so much as a peep.

Well, here it is, a day later and still not an idea.

Golly, what happened to the WPW I used to know?

A couple years ago, I could post the most obsure question here and within an hour, there would be 10 replys to it... 7 of the 10 helpful, the other 3 would be from folks like Kgun going on and on defining my question and breaking it down into 3 paragraphs per sentence, with bullets and summaries... To clarify the question and ensure everyone clearly understood what I was asking.

Gone are the good days, I suppose.

Tim

3. The following user agrees with timmathews.com:
    Even on this sort of question, you expect debate? Really there is nothing to break down into three parts, except your frustration, Tim. Sorry. I don't do installations. But where are background images usually stored? C:/windows, I think ... but you might have to search 'where are wallpapers stored' ....as different op systems may save them in different directories. Is it possible that he had the image on a CD or photo import and set it as wallpaper - thus the [1]? That would put it in c:windows, I think.
    Hey, maybe this can be debated!
    Need to write a love letter to Google? I'm an SEO Copywriter Hidden Content Search Smart DesignŽ. | Travel Gypsy in Hidden Content . | Get the Hidden Content to SEO Web Design.

Did you try looking in
    C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\?

If memory serves this will be a cached file -- the file name will be different from what you're looking for and is likely a BMP. If you're feeling adventurous you may want to comb through the registry and see if you can find the actual/original file location there. I don't have that key in mental memory though, so you'd have to search for it (either Google or in the registry itself).

Good luck!
    Last edited by L1wulf; 02-08-2011 at 05:07 PM. Reason: added more detail

6. The following user agrees with L1wulf:
    AWESOME!
    It is a .bmp file, but it is good enough for government work!
    Thank you, L1wulf, I appreciate you assisting me.
    You made my day.

Brilliant! 5 minutes after reading your post, the new laptop is finished and delivered.
    How's that for speedy?
    Thank you again, L1wulf.
    I am very VERY happy right now.
    You need anything, ANYTHING, email me. I owe you one, and I don't owe many any...
    AWESOME!

He be a happy boy now
    Hidden Content by Gel Creative | Hidden Content by Be Charmed Jewellery | Hidden Content
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

Quote Originally Posted by timmathews.com View Post
    Brilliant! 5 minutes after reading your post, the new laptop is finished and delivered.
    new laptop? windows XP????

I must say, is that a first! L1wulf's first post was the correct answer and helpful! defo gone are the good old days if we are to expect that from first time registrants and not "great post, thanks for sharing!" ... ill go thank him for showing how to contribute to a community.

Quote Originally Posted by nickoran View Post
    I must say, is that a first!
    1) As I read it, the OLD machine has Windows XP, the new one is a laptop
    2) Many new "netbooks" come with WinXP. Microsoft actually admits that XP is a nice OS with smallish footprint and quite stable when kept up to date, while Win7 is just too bloated for these little Atom machines.

Any way, a salute to L1wulf for a clear, concise and helpful post.

Quote Originally Posted by nickoran View Post

I must say, is that a first! L1wulf's first post was the correct answer and helpful! defo gone are the good old days if we are to expect that from first time registrants and not "great post, thanks for sharing!" ... ill go thank him for showing how to contribute to a community.
    Yup. New Laptop, fresh Windows XP.

Even I personally do not like Windows 7. For a client that is in his 70's, surely, you would not want to give him something that he does not want. We talked about Windows 7, he made it clear he wanted Windows XP.

You can teach an old dog new tricks, but that doesn't mean the dog will enjoy doing them.
    Tim