This article by Michael Murray seems to have slipped under the radar of WPW members. It very candidly lists the most likely culprits in many people's failed attempts to reach the summit of SEO.
Read the complete article, here,1. Bring in an SEO specialist after the fact.
2. Not understanding the difference between keyword research and keyword selection.
3. Picking the wrong domain name.
4. Having no sense of ranking analysis.
5. Failure to create compelling content.
6. Decorating the website with graphic headers.
7. Preoccupation with social media.
8. Long-Short Page Syndrome.
9. Whacky page titles.
10. Inbound Link Void.
11. Misdiagnosing the competition.
12. Unwilling to spend money.
13. Terrible Calls to Action.
WebProNews, September 10, 2010, 13 Ways to...
A new topic thread in SEO 101 could be started for each of the points in Michael's list, they are all so glaringly true.