Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Thread: XP & Memory

XP & Memory

Hi,

So I wanted to upgrade to 4 GB of memory & after talking to 3 different guys at Best Buy & getting all different answers & mistakes <sigh>, I decided to ask people & see what the majority says.

I do remember hearing several times in the past that anything more than 2 GB is worthless on a computer.

The last guy said b/c I'm on XP, even if I upgraded to 4 it wouldn't matter. It's DDR2. He said the computer will only fly if it's 4 & on Vista or 7.

I hope a real geek is out there to help

Thanks

Michelle

2. The following user agrees with ep2012:
    It all depends on the programs you use and which version of XP you are using. More than likely you have the 32bit version of XP which means you shouldn't put any more than 3GB of ram in it.

Some reading: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...its_windows_xp

You could put 4GB of ram in it, but the 4th GB might not be used because of the limit for 32bit systems. Your video card and other components are also included in the 4GB limit, so if your video card has 1GB of ram on it that goes towards your 4GB limit.

There are 64Bit versions of XP, Vista, and 7 that can address more ram if you wanted more for programs like 3D rendering or video editing.

4. The following user agrees with rah:
    As Rah said, your system is limited to 4GB total from the OS, plus there may be other limits from the motherboard as well. I would suggest benchmarking your computer to look for bottlenecks using the Performance Monitor tool (Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Performance Monitor). This utility allows you to monitor many different aspects of your system from clock cycles to memory and pagefile usage down to hard drive I/O. From this utility you should be able to get some idea of where the performance is taking a hit. If you are maxing out on memory usage or performance, check your Task Manager's Processes tab, sorted by Memory or CPU Usage depending on the problem you find, to determine what software is using so much of your resources. If the problem is from the hard drive, what you are seeing may be an indication of a failing hard drive. High pagefile or memory I/O numbers may indicate problems with the physical RAM in the computer.
    The best way to learn anything, is to question everything.
    WigeDev - Freelance web and software development

Yes as they stated above its limited to 4gb of ram for 64bit i think and 2gb for 32bit? Try to get a fast timing on it too ^^

Quote Originally Posted by tommybuck View Post
    Yes as they stated above its limited to 4gb of ram for 64bit i think and 2gb for 32bit? Try to get a fast timing on it too ^^
    Not quite. The memory limit is not just RAM, but also includes essentially all addressable space, from physical RAM to video RAM to PCI devices and even ACPI and other components.

For a 32 bit operating system, your addressable memory limit is 4,294,967,296 bytes (2^32) or 4GB.

For a 62 bit operating system, your addressable memory limit is 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 (2^64) or 16EB (16 Exabytes, 16 million Terabytes, or 16 billion Gigabytes).
    The best way to learn anything, is to question everything.
    WigeDev - Freelance web and software development

Using 4 gigs of memory on xp isn't worthless. That fact is xp does not recognize the full 4 gigs, but it's still there and can still be optimized.

Rest in Peace 1946 - 2013 deepsand's Avatar
    x86 (32 bit) processors are not limited to 4 GB of physical address space; Physical Address Extension has been around for 15 yrs., allowing such processors to access up to 64 GB of physical memory.

Whether or not PAE is or can be supported by the OS is variable. Where PAE is not directly supported, indirect support for applications requiring a virtual address space greater than 4 GB may be provided, such as by Microsoft's Address Windowing Extensions.