Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Poll: Number of thumbs up

Thread: The Facebook Movie The Social Network Reviews

Arrow The Facebook Movie The Social Network Reviews

Shall we?

Well as promised I did attend the opening of the Facebook movie, The Social Network on Friday night and I was impressed with at least 98% of what I watched.

Now I don't know the full history or the true story behind the movie but I can make a judgement of the content of the movie for what it was.

For starters I think the portrayal of Mark Zuckerberg , played by Jesse Eisenberg was fantastic and didn't cast Zuckerberg in a negative light whatsoever. I know his kind. He's smart, intelligent, to the point, direct, logical and in this case a slight opportunistic. I'd say why not? He took an idea that was presented to him from a few fellow students and expanded upon it. The students in question wanted to make their software only accessible to those with Harvard email addresses - Zuckerberg did too but it was clear that he wanted to go global with the idea.

Was he a jerk or portrayed as one in the movie? I don't believe so. I didn't feel he was a jerk more than any other intelligent 18 year old programmer - I tend to see the jerkness in them only when it comes to logical lines of thinking or the lack thereof.

The part of the movie I felt could have been expanded upon but wasn't was in relation to the legal aspects of the movie. As we who saw The Social Network know, throughout the movie they reverted to scenes related to the legal battles Zuckerberg had to go through. The only problem I found was that there wasn't enough information in the end letting us know why Zuckerberg's adversaries settled with him out of court. Why didn't any of them win - or win what they really wanted?

I'd give the movie The Social Network 5 thumbs up for inspiration as they were able to portray Zuckerberg as a highly motived and intelligent young programmer with a fire for whatever he wanted to do or accomplish.

I give them 4 thumbs up rather than 5 for giving us a completed story - again in my opinion the reasons why his legal opponents settled was beyond me.

How do you feel? How would you rate the movie The Social Network?
    Last edited by morestar; 10-04-2010 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Typos...

I'll give it four thumbs up. It seems like we came away from the movie with different views though. I personally think it made him look very arrogant. He showed no regard for any one around him. While he did dramatically expand on the idea of his friends, it still was stolen from them. He wouldn't have had the idea if it wasn't for them.

I do agree with you in that they needed to expand more on the legal aspect of it. Maybe because they signed non disclosures agreements legally no one is allowed to talk about what actually happened. I'm not a lawyer so I don't know if there is any truth to that. It's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by rah View Post
    I do agree with you in that they needed to expand more on the legal aspect of it. Maybe because they signed non disclosures agreements legally no one is allowed to talk about what actually happened. I'm not a lawyer so I don't know if there is any truth to that. It's just my opinion.
    I think you're right Rah, the non-disclosure that was signed cause the writers of the movie to have little details in that regard. With that and the money they invested in the movie I'm sure they could have been more creative and even design what was probably the reasons for the settlements. I'm sure they could have done more research into those types of scenarios.

I will admit, in the last scene, when the camera is just on him, you can see a slight "I don't care who I hurt to get where I want to be" in his face and that it does seem to stem from his love for the girl he lost - his desire to impress her. I just can't take that too seriously again because of his age. But with that I guess age doesn't matter when it comes to business and big business at that.

I guess unless someone visits with the inside scoop as to why they settled we'll never know the true story. For now...

Maybe it's just his personality they showed in the film, but even if he did love the girl he always came across as disconnected. Everyone he was around got talked down to. There's no wonder why he wasn't/isn't popular with people.

Hm, that's funny eh? I wonder why I didn't sense that in him. Maybe I'm bit like that? I hope not!!

But I do feel sorry for Edwardo though cause he really dedicated his time and energy to the project and in the end he got duped. Very sad. I hope his settlement worked out for him and at least to some degree made him feel better about what he lost out on.

Yeah Edwardo put a lot of faith in him, just to be double crossed. He saw Zuckerberg as his best friend only to have him turn against him over the company. I have a feeling that he's living just fine now though.

Yes big love has to go out to Edwardo cause he was a loyal friend and did dedicate so much to the project, openly and easily. Hey, we probably haven't seen the last of that man...

will see now because of your review and feedback, cant wait

We see the characters of the movie, more or less than the real persons...