Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Thread: A couple quick questions on CSS positioning and Swiss Army Slideshow on my site.

A couple quick questions on CSS positioning and Swiss Army Slideshow on my site.

Hello all,

I've been a print Graphic Designer for some time (17 years now). I've dabbled in online for a while but the lack of intuitive tools along with the availability of print work have always set me back a bit on web stuff.

I'm developing a site for a client of mine but I'm running into a few issues that I need some help on.

The site is staged here:

jeffnee.com/ksk/

I've implemented the fading buttons from a jQuery tutorial I found online. I like those quite a bit but one oddity is that the containing DIV for the navigation requires me to set the left position to -40px to get it to line up with the content DIV. It's not a big deal but it annoys me that I have to do it. Is there some reason why the DIV with the navigation is offset by 40px?

The next question is in regards to the slideshow that's on the left of the page. I used the Swiss Army javascript to make that slideshow. I just want it to fade between images without controls or links. So I got that one working great. My intent was to have three of them right next to each other so that they span the whole content DIV - each one referring to a different array of images and set to different delay lengths and random photo ordering. That way it doesn't feel like just a static panel of images. Having them advance at different times will make that section feel more dynamic.

The problem is that when I try to duplicate the script and code for the second slideshow, it won't show up next to the first one. It either just doesn't show up or it also breaks the first slideshow. Am I doing it in an inefficient way to try to create three instances of slideshows in that space?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Okay. I got the three slideshows working but had to use negative positioning to do it. It doesn't "feel" like that's the way it should be done but it does at least line up.
    Last edited by weegillis; 09-29-2010 at 08:44 PM.

Hi Jeffrey,

I looked at this yesterday but didnít have a clue how to help.

Today it is the same, blank white space above the content. So, I think I will try allowing the scripts in my FireFox browser.

Yes! There are three slideshows filling the space. High five!

To me they are changing through the images too fast. It is distracting while trying to read the content.

Are there images to put in the blank space for people like me who ordinarily do not allow scripts on un-trusted sites? It wasnít too long ago that I didnít even know that I needed to allow scripts on my browser to see everything and there still might be others out there too who just arenít savvy enough to know and would miss the graphics.

I replaced the flash on my home page with GIF so that visitors can see what I have to offer before they choose stay or go.

Also, the links arenít working for me Ė or are they not established yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Clicken View Post
    Hi Jeffrey,

I looked at this yesterday but didnít have a clue how to help.

Today it is the same, blank white space above the content. So, I think I will try allowing the scripts in my FireFox browser.

Yes! There are three slideshows filling the space. High five!

To me they are changing through the images too fast. It is distracting while trying to read the content.

Are there images to put in the blank space for people like me who ordinarily do not allow scripts on un-trusted sites? It wasnít too long ago that I didnít even know that I needed to allow scripts on my browser to see everything and there still might be others out there too who just arenít savvy enough to know and would miss the graphics.

I replaced the flash on my home page with GIF so that visitors can see what I have to offer before they choose stay or go.

Also, the links arenít working for me Ė or are they not established yet?
    Thanks for taking the time. The links aren't established yet. I was just setting up a framework before I filled out the rest of the pages. I'll look at offering an alt for gifs but I think the files would be too large to make it practical.