Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Thread: Need a boot CD with command prompt to access USB external HDD to install Vista

Need a boot CD with command prompt to access USB external HDD to install Vista

I dont know if this is the right forum but this is my problem.

I have a toshiba laptop with faulty dvd so installing from DVD doesn't work as DVD stops working in the middle.

I do have a solution in mind..and that is... Create a BOOT CD with Command Prompt then use external HDD (USB HD) to install vista...

My Toshiba laptop model doesn't have support for USB boot ...so I need to create a BOOT CD which gives me command prompt and also is able to recognize my external HDD which I have attached to the LAPTOP using USB connector...and where my VISTA installation files are lying..so I can just go to the folder and run setup for vista

Anyone can guide me..where I can go to get such a BOOT CD ????

Thanks!!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - Offering Full Time offshore IT staff, programming and web design services.
    Hidden Content - Please Join Us on FaceBook

you mean you actually WANT to install VISTA?

Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon Rashid View Post

I have a toshiba laptop with faulty dvd so installing from DVD doesn't work as DVD stops working in the middle.

I do have a solution in mind..and that is... Create a BOOT CD with Command Prompt then use external HDD (USB HD) to install vista...

My Toshiba laptop model doesn't have support for USB boot ...so I need to create a BOOT CD which gives me command prompt and also is able to recognize my external HDD which I have attached to the LAPTOP using USB connector...and where my VISTA installation files are lying..so I can just go to the folder and run setup for vista

Thanks!!

Do you have a friend with a working dvd burner?
    That's probably the easiest... AND
    Are you sure your Toshiba Laptop has the guts necessary
    to run Vista? How much sdram does it have?

I have been looking for ways to GET rid of Vista.
    Maybe you should consider going directly to Win7?

-puamana
    The difference between the right word and almost the right word is the difference
    between lightning and the lightning bug. ~ Mark Twain

Hidden Content - Dynamic, Imaginative, Affordable Web Design

Vista or not.

I can't recall he asked whether you like Vista or not. What a silly answer.
    Too the problem with boot. There are many utilities to start command prompt, the question is if the BIOS does not support USB, the drivers want be loaded by command prompt either, so you still have the same problem. I suggest connecting to network and image from a network place. Your BIOS would support network install once you found the correct driver. Have a poke on internet. Image the DVD with Vista on some other computer and once you have network established use imaging software like Ghost or similar to run to copy the image to laptop hard drive. once you have to image of Vista there, you can run the install from hard disk. Hope this helps. It shouldn't too expensive to replace the DVD drive in the laptop though.

For those who like to play with Beta IE9, here is the link to download: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/i...ie-9/worldwide

Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon Rashid View Post

Thanks!!
    Actually it would be this forum http://www.webproworld.com/webmaster...ms/61-Hardware if you post anything like this in the future.

Have you checked out www.bootdisk.com ?

Ok thank you all....

Actually I think I got a solution.... get a Vista Recovery Disk...get to Prompt…and then run setup from USB external drive...

The point...that if the BIOS supports USB or NOT... well...last time the laptop was in working order...it was support External HD via USB port... but yes...now I am not sure...if it was vista making it read the USD external drive or something else.

It’s a Toshiba satellite laptop... it does not give USB boot option... but it has USB connector... so vista recovery cd... I do think will give access to the USB drive on a command line after booting..

but I can be only sure of this...once this solution is checked...which is still to be done...as the person I am helping is sitting 11000 miles away from him...and is not very tech savvy... i have given him this solution but till now we have yet to sit on Gtalk/Skype and do it step by step

Wish me luck guys!

And yes...soon I'll be coming with couple of new websites that we have done....so stay tuned!

Cheers!
    Last edited by Mamoon Rashid; 09-25-2010 at 01:04 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - Offering Full Time offshore IT staff, programming and web design services.
    Hidden Content - Please Join Us on FaceBook