Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PR Sculpting, Siloing, and nofollow

PR Sculpting, Siloing, and nofollow

I'm curious what your opinions are about using nofollow internally to silo content and sculpt pagerank.

Some, like Bruce Clay say to use no follow when linking to off topic pages. Others, like Matt Cutts, and some of my more experienced friends say to let it flow.

Matt Cutts recently said in a video that nofollowed links are not subtracted from the number of links calculated to distribute juice to, instead they just remove that amount from the total flow, effectively leaking PR.

What do you think?
    I build custom WordPress themes and plugins with love, and occasionally post on Hidden Content about related topics. Hidden Content .

Quote Originally Posted by Optic View Post
    What do you think?
    That you could start your post by explaining to the average user what is meant by:

1. silo content
    2. sculpt pagerank

Matt Cutts recently said in a video that nofollowed links are not subtracted from the number of links calculated to distribute juice to, instead they just remove that amount from the total flow, effectively leaking PR.
    Which video?

It can be an interesting discussion if you follow up IMO.
    Hidden Content :: Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Conversations creates communities and conversions create profit.

Thanks for the reply. I'd be happy to explain.

Siloing and sculpting are similar.

Siloing basically means that you build buckets of related content, and only link to other content on your site that is in the same bucket. What this does is keeps the relevancy going to only the content that is related to it.

Siloing example - You have a website about grass. You sell grass seed, and lawnmowers. While they are related topics, they have completely different keywords. You would want to only link to grass seed pages from other grass seed pages. Linking to lawnmowers from grass seed pages only delutes your relevancy, and wastes links. The idea with nofollowing, is that you can link to grass seed from lawnmowers, but use a nofollow tag so the search engine doesn't think that your grass seed pages are about lawnmowers. You can take this even further, by only linking to the main page you want to rank for grass seed, and not linking to the other grass seed pages from that target page, or nofollowing the links out from it.

Content siloing is a technique developed by Bruce Clay.

PR sculting is similar, but basically is just a way of controlling where the link juice goes on your website. There's not much point in sending links to pages that you don't care to rank, aside from UI reasons, when you can use the PR on pages you do want to rank.

I use the terms PR, and link juice to describe the flow of authority and relevance through links. I realize that Google PageRank is very unreliable at best, and not the best way to judge a website or page.

Here is the video I was referring to. Which actually explains a little of what I was talking about.

I build custom WordPress themes and plugins with love, and occasionally post on Hidden Content about related topics. Hidden Content .

I use the terms PR, and link juice to describe the flow of authority and relevance through links. I realize that Google PageRank is very unreliable at best, and not the best way to judge a website or page.
    You have to know what Google PageRank is http://www.ams.org/samplings/feature...fcarc-pagerank and more specially what the toolbar pagerank mean. A thermometer mesure temperature in a geo point, nothing more, nothing less. But non the less it is a mapping from a unknown high dimensional non-linear dynamic system to a simple interval on the real line.

For more information go to

http://www.webproworld.com/webmaster...?search_type=1

Keyword(s): pagerank

User Name: kgun

hit the search now button.

repeat with the same user name and

Keyword(s): inverted link matrix
    Hidden Content

Do you have any opinion on my question?
    Last edited by Optic; 08-02-2010 at 04:38 AM.

I may come back later with my view. You may find some input and older WPW threads like this

http://www.webproworld.com/webmaster...l=1#post364158

one by Googling:

pr sculpting incredible help.

Are you able to write a summary / conclusion?
    Hidden Content

Thanks. That looks like a good read. I guess the mods can delete this useless thread.

edit - I just noticed the red text at the bottom that says "This thread has not had a response in the last two months. Consider starting a new thread."
    Last edited by Optic; 08-02-2010 at 05:01 AM.

Thanks. That looks like a good read. I guess the mods can delete this useless thread.
    No, it is not useless.

The subject requires a summary that you can either write here or on your own sites and link to it here (if the moderators allow you to do it).
    Hidden Content

Fair enough. I try not to drop links on forums, especially ones I am new to. I hope my little grass website example explains siloing well enough. I first assumed folks here understood these concepts, and I perhaps oversimplified my examples. In the future I will construct threads I start in a way that noobs and vets alike can understand.

I have privately asked this same question of people I respect highly, some of which are senior members here like yourself. Although I have not used some of these techniques, I am beginning to think much more about site architecture, and would like to know what not to waste my time with. Internal nofollow is probably the most ambiguous subject for me.

As far as PR, though I do it myself, I think it's inaccurate to use it to describe the flow of authority through links. I think "link juice" is a much better term!

It seems that Pagerank is less and less trusted as a metric, as soo many websites show no toolbar pagerank, and there are many that show much lower scores than they should, given the amount of inbound links they have. I recently saw a website with nearly 100k links, which showed a toolbar rank of 4.

I'm more interested in using links as effectively as possible than trying to raise that number.
    Last edited by Optic; 08-02-2010 at 05:54 AM.

It seems that Pagerank is less and less trusted as a metric, as soo many websites show no toolbar pagerank, and there are many that show much lower scores than they should, given the amount of inbound links they have. I recently saw a website with nearly 100k links, which showed a toolbar rank of 4.
    What does that say to you. To me it is an indication the the PageRank algorithm has improved.

Also indicated here:

Matt Cutts June 15, 2009 about PageRank sculpting
    Last edited by kgun; 08-02-2010 at 07:30 AM.
    Hidden Content