Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much time does DMOZ take to approve site listing?

How much time does DMOZ take to approve site listing?

Hi all......

It's been more than 8 weeks that I have submitted my site to DMOZ but still can't find listing of my site. It is written in their rules that depending on the activity level of the editors in respective category area, it may take up to 2 weeks or more for your site to be reviewed. When can we expect the listing to be confirmed?

For the "Up to two weeks or more" you should read "From 6 months or more". There are two things to remember about DMOZ.

One, everyone is trying to get their website submitted. Just think about the volume of work to the amount of volunteers they have.
    Two, they can refuse to post your website for no reason at all. If they don't like the submission, they won't tell you why.

My suggestion is, 1) don't bet your house on getting submitted 2) Wait another 3 months or so, if it is not up then, resubmit.

Let us know if you have any luck!
    Google Adwords Management - Improved CPC and Quality Score
    Web Design Sydney - Marketing, Web Design, SEO, Direct Mail, PR

Quote Originally Posted by createdevelop View Post
    2) Wait another 3 months or so, if it is not up then, resubmit.
    I'm afraid this is bad advice. Don't resubmit your site - it will push it to the bottom of the queue ... of course, if your site has been rejected it would put it up there again, but if you haven't made significant changes, it's not likely to get accepted a second time around. Better to submit once and forget about it.
    Need to write a love letter to Google? I'm an SEO Copywriter who knows Search Smart DesignŽ. | Travel Gypsy in Key West. | Get the Cyber Key to SEO Web Design.

You're lucky if you get listed in 2-3 months after you submit your site because it can take forever. (By forever I really mean more than 100 years)
    Be cool, be nice, act like a pro.

I submitted 4 months back and yet to hear from them

Submit and pray. Nothing can be done. In most cases takes months..... out of my 11 websites only 3 made it but it is not end of the world. Do not stress to much about that.

Just got notification that my site was accepted today. I submitted it probably two weeks ago.
    Infusing Markets LLC - We design mobile and desktop websites

@ Steve-Hostirian, thanks for sharing. It means that DMOZ is still accepting submissions.

It's been almost a year, since I submitted one of our websites and it is still not yet listed. I am thinking of resubmitting that website again especially that we have redesigned the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-Hostirian View Post
    Just got notification that my site was accepted today. I submitted it probably two weeks ago.
    Notification from who exactly? DMOZ does not notify anyone of either acceptance or decline of a website from the suggestion pool.
    William Cross
    Web Development by Those Damn Coders
    Firearm Friendly Websites because our constitution matters

Quote Originally Posted by jacktb View Post
    @ Steve-Hostirian, thanks for sharing. It means that DMOZ is still accepting submissions.
    They are allowing people to add to the pool of sites suggestions, but it has never been a requirement to pull from it. Editors have always been free to add sites they find useful on their own.

As for Steve sharing, it is hogwash, dmoz has never sent notifications out.

More from an interview:

Debra: Why can’t DMOZ notify webmasters when their sites are included or rejected? Has there been any discussion on being able to pay for this feature?

Bob: Because the ODP is not designed to be a site listing service, creating a notification system has not been a priority. In the past, there was a “check my site status” thread offered via the editor-run public forums at Resource Zone. It was not hosted or administered by AOL. It was a good faith effort to reach out to the webmaster community.

Source: http://searchengineland.com/dmoz-a-s...f-search-28463
    Last edited by williamc; 11-19-2010 at 05:41 AM. Reason: expounding
    William Cross
    Web Development by Those Damn Coders
    Firearm Friendly Websites because our constitution matters