Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Will Wordpress Address The Site Speed Issue?

How Will Wordpress Address The Site Speed Issue?

I look at it this way - site speed is an issue that's not only not going away (because it's so important for user experience), was probably always here and will become much more important as the months and years pass by. Site speed isn't going to be the ultra-important ranking factor of the age of Aquarius (actually it will because we're going to be accessing the internet through our eyes in less than 30 years but that's a whole other thread idea) but as SEOs we're never ever going to ignore it or tell our clients that site loading and speed issue are nothing to worry about.

We have to take care of it.

With that said my question is will Wordpress take steps to address the issue with their current plugin system?

It's simple, as it stands, if you have 20 plugins rocking your Wordpress install chances are you've have at least 7 stylesheets, if not more.

One of Google's site performance suggestions was to combine external CSS files. Any seasoned Wordpress worker knows if you try to combine CSS files within Wordpress from each of the plugins, when the time comes for one of the plugins to update, the update could throw off your whole site's display settings or at the very least a portion of it. Get to work!

I think Wordpress is great and I do mean great but again, will they address this issue one day, some day down the road? I'm sure it can be resolved. Wordpress is known among other things for being structured and it'd be nice to see Wordpress address these issues for one main reason - Wordpress can be slow at times...it's as simple as that.

There are possibly hundreds of steps a webmaster/SEO can take to upgrade the loading speed of their website. Google provided a few tips that make good sense. Let's hope wordpress takes note too...

How will Wordpress address the site speed issue? Let us see...

Re: How Will Wordpress Address The Site Speed Issue?

It looks like there's been a pretty quick update to this thread. A new member Tony (travelsignposts) has posted a response related to the issues I've addressed above. Apparently a developer has created a Wordpress plugin called W3 Total Cache which will combine .js and CSS files. Not too bad.

There still may be one problem though, that being, that this solution requires a plugin and is not actually within the chore Wordpress files so updating the plugin could cause problems - I stress could but that possible 1% chance renders my site one percent less optimal than I'd like it to be.

Funniest thing is Google Analytics and Adsense slows site load time considerably.....I see this as nothing more than "fluff" for Google....like filler in newspapers,...its news to a lot of people, but its not really news......and given their code and servers slow page load time they cannot use this as a fraction of the scoring algorithm, if they did they would need to drop most of their sites from the top 50 results, maybe top 100....

Build business for consumers, and not search engines. Roadblocks are a factor for business, and business needs to weigh the pros and cons of working with a CMS, legacy system or go static.

Its like computers, super sonic jets, race cars, Once you get to a certain speed, we no longer can actually see any speed enhancements.....I have been up to 160 mph in a car, and cannot tell the difference from 140 mph....both times I was half scared, and half on a super adrenalin rush I can't explain....

WP-Total Cache isn't a cure all. When installed on one of my sites by my hosting company the .htaccess code sent all links to a sub-domain on the same account. Not good ... complete breaking of my site!

I don't want to change the subject, but of much more critical importance is the export issue. Once you begin to get large, and I can't exactly determine the size, although it seems like somewhere around 30,000 to 50,000 postings, you can no longer export your site.

I am in a position with at least two blogs where I need to move them, but there seems to be no way to get a backup OR export of the posts, categories, authors, etc., etc., etc.

Nearly five years of work is going down the tubes.

I like, or maybe I should say, liked Wordpress, but if I can't keep my blog when I need to move ... it's useless.

--Robert

If you can't export - are you on Wordpress.org, or your own hosted Wordpress?

I don't see why there should be an issue if it's your own, they are only regular database files.
    Pete Clark
    Find out what's happening in Spain at Hidden Content

You need to find someone experienced in moving WP sites with databases.....

They can be tarballed and moved I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by rdkelsey View Post
    WP-Total Cache isn't a cure all. When installed on one of my sites by my hosting company the .htaccess code sent all links to a sub-domain on the same account. Not good ... complete breaking of my site!

I don't want to change the subject, but of much more critical importance is the export issue. Once you begin to get large, and I can't exactly determine the size, although it seems like somewhere around 30,000 to 50,000 postings, you can no longer export your site.

I am in a position with at least two blogs where I need to move them, but there seems to be no way to get a backup OR export of the posts, categories, authors, etc., etc., etc.

Nearly five years of work is going down the tubes.

I like, or maybe I should say, liked Wordpress, but if I can't keep my blog when I need to move ... it's useless.

--Robert

If you do a search for Wordpress export errors or any such type of search you'll find I'm not alone in this issue ... lots of people have the same problem.

I am hosted on HostGator. I have more than a dozen blogs across as many domains on several different hosting accounts. The error is a memory allocation. One explanation was that Wordpress allocates memory for the export, but when the memory reaches a certain limit it will conflict with server settings. I have tried increasing the limit from, I think the default is 30, up to the maximum. There is also a timeout setting. I've experimented with all, and been to Wordpress support numerous times over the past six or so months.

HostGator has yet to provide me with a solution. I'm hoping they will make whatever adjustments are necessary long enough to get me an export and I'll move to a different account where more resources are available.

There is one plugin that apparently splits the export up, gives options to export only certain authors, or by certain dates ... this still did not work for me, and I see others reporting the same problem.

No fun to all of the sudden realize a blog you've spent years building is now just plain gone.

Whether the real culprit is hosting, or the blog itself, I can't really say ... I'm not that technical ... but neither has come up with a solution as of yet.

--Robert

also ... an sql dump from PHPmyAdmin didn't work, although it provided a partial dump.

Dump was to a .sql, and also to a .sql.gz

Yes, I'm hoping to find an SQL guru who can solve this ... can't afford it right now however. I'll eventually go to rentacoder or one of those sites.

--Robert

...or if you're site is hosting by you or not on Wordpress.com you only need to access PHPMyAdmin and back up your Wordpress database files within there...That page will also show you how to restore your database as well on your new server.

I know what you mean, it'd be nice to do it the easier way and I'm slightly shocked that after around that many posts you can't export it properly.

There is a lot more than just the .css files to consider regarding WP speed issues.

Just the fact that it is entirely implemented in php, a scripting language is significant. html pages can be served many, many times faster than php pages. Apache does not need to look at a .html page to serve it, in WP each page needs to be parsed and in WP this results in fetching multiple other files(php) to complete the page being served. We are also seeing a minimum of 8-10 database transactions on a simple WP site.

There are many WP optimization strategies. They are needed because WP in my opinion is a real "hog" when it comes to server cpu utilization. This results directly to user experience, you can throw more and bigger servers at it but it is still a problem.