PDA

View Full Version : Abusive registrations

purex
04-19-2004, 01:28 PM
Hi all,
We have one of our competitors in the UK openly using our company name as a .co.uk to redirect to their site. They have also ripped our content off - but that's another story...

We have to complain to nominet but before we do this I want to make sure they haven't registered any more similar names as each complaint can cost 750 !

Does anyone know if you can find out all the domain names a company has registered? Or if there is another way of getting this info?

Yours sincerely,

Mr. V. Annoyed

(Jon)

ArtRoc
04-20-2004, 11:51 AM
Only by hard slog at the nominet website - I see they already have purex.co.uk and laserex.co.uk

I would suggest that you check all of your registered trademarks and those of any other rivals!

photodex
04-20-2004, 11:56 AM
Hello,

We too had the same issue, but it was only with one name that we own the trademark. Since we owned a Registered Trademark for this term, it was rather easy, and I believe we offered to pay for the transfer of the domain. Another interesting point is that you can not get a .co.uk domain unless your business is in the UK (unless you have rights to the mark and use the litigation on your side). We (a US company) now have a domain in the UK, which I thought was pretty interesting. I would definitely search all of your marks and make sure that they are not using any of them.

--Marc

branduin
04-20-2004, 03:14 PM
Jon,

Would you be able to clarify the URLs a little for me? I just want to make sure I am looking at the right ones.

Which domains do you own?
Which domain is owned by your competior?
What URL is that domain being redirected to?

Sorry to be slow, I just want to make sure I understand right!

Thanks,
Brandy

agotoguy
04-20-2004, 06:52 PM
Purex,

There are a couple of ways you can find out, to a good degree, how many sites this guy has registered. However I will not provide this info here in an open forum. Please private message me through the forums and I will help you privately. This is something I would normally charge hundreds of dollars for. All I ask is that you reply to this forum when I have helped you and let other know whether or not you felt my assistance provided you the results you sought.

Basically, I am only looking for a testamonial in exchange for my services on this.

genordell
04-20-2004, 07:45 PM
while Newbie's post showed concern for posting here any methods to access ownership of sites/URLs, I am of the opposite persuasion: it is good to be able to find out who owns a site, or where an email came from

to this end, I suggest www.whois.sc which I use often -- choose the Domain Explorer option and key in a partial name such as purex, the return will be all known variations of URLs containing that word; one of the options once you are looking at data for a given URL is the IP Address, which leads to the Reverse IP Address (too technical for my use, but requires only a free login)

it is possible in the case of the purex trademark problem to then (a) report the abuse to the hosting company and-or (b) check for the other URLs that may be hosted there (possibly important if the Abuser has his/her own setup)

whois.sc covers com net org biz info & US TLDs; perhaps others can suggest the equivalent for the UK

I tested with purex and got 150 results, some of which are xxx-rated [purexxx..']

DrTandem1
04-20-2004, 10:35 PM
Purex,

Firstly, no reasonable person would pay hundreds of dollars to find all the domain names a particular person/company owned. Secondly, no reasonable person would attempt to charge a fee for such a search.

Furthermore, this company may not be the only company to hold domain names that may be "confused" for yours. Also, this company may have registered other similar domain names using a subsidiary name or even an employee's name. That would make such a search pointless.

Here is what I think is a better option: Focus on your business and your website. It will become clear to the visitor that is familiar with your product which site is official.

Their website is only a vehicle. It is pointless to fight the vehicle. There are literally thousands of likely variables. If their product is infringing on a trademark, copyright and or patent, sue them for that. Focus your energies on what matters...the content.

Divide the enemy, not your army. Their website is merely a distraction. Don't waste time and money that could better be spent on your company, not theirs.

Now, let this be a lesson to others about domain names. If you think yours is so special, register as many practical forms of it as you can. Such as yourcompany.com, .net, .org, and your-company.com, etc. Then you won't be bothered with look-a-likes. If there are already websites with the domain of your choosing, you can try purchasing the rights from the other party. Otherwise, just find a different domain name.

purex
04-21-2004, 06:12 AM
DrTandem1:
Sorry, although I understand your sentiment this is a direct business tactic to draw sales from my company and I'm afraid I don't like it.

Genordell:
Thanks for the link, that's a great tool. Pity it doesn't cover .uk names.

Does anyone know a .uk equivalent?

Branduin:
"Only by hard slog at the nominet website - I see they already have purex.co.uk and laserex.co.uk"

ALL:
Thanks for the help guys, does anyone else have anything to input?

paulhiles
04-21-2004, 06:45 AM
Does anyone know a .uk equivalent?
You can use the Whois search from the Nominet.uk site at http://www.nominet.org.uk OR http://www.nic/index.html

Alternatively, I find UK2's (http://uk2.net/) domain search tools pretty useful, the Whois results are identical to Nominet's and there are other facilities available (Traceroute, etc).

The site at Whois.sc that was mentioned above, has a facility for watching your name, known as Mark Alert (http://www.whois.sc/mark-alert/), which sends an alert via email if anyone tries to register your "watched names" - as far as I'm aware, no such similar (free) facility exists for UK domain names.

DrTandem1
04-21-2004, 09:40 AM
Purex-

I don't see where you answered Brandy's question regarding URLs. Your reply: <<Branduin:
"Only by hard slog at the nominet website - I see they already have purex.co.uk and laserex.co.uk" >>

I guess now I'm confused as you listed those two URLs in your original post. I realize you're in the UK, but ask someone here in the US what Purex is and they will say "bleach".

purex
04-21-2004, 09:52 AM
DRTANDEM1 and BRANDUIN:

Our company name is Purex, our product is Laserex, our sites are http://www.laserfume.com and http://www.purexltd.co.uk

The redirect names that have been registered are http://www.purex.co.uk and http://www.laserex.co.uk

The question is, do we have rights to those domains if they are being used to pass off as our company and products?

TrafficProducer
04-21-2004, 04:49 PM
can find out all the domain names?

This may help

Got to http://www.downloads.ukprofessionals.com

Click on "Other Useful Links" section and scroll down to:-
Google URL Links Test (Is the URL listed, Similar to/Related to, Links to, Sites contain Terms)

Enter the URL to test below and click the Submit button.

Not sure if this will help, let me know.

purex
04-21-2004, 05:10 PM
can find out all the domain names?

Click on "Other Useful Links" section and scroll down to:-
Google URL Links Test (Is the URL listed, Similar to/Related to, Links to, Sites contain Terms)

Enter the URL to test below and click the Submit button.

Not sure if this will help, let me know.

Sorry no it didn't. If you enter a url it just takes you there

???

Purex

agotoguy
04-23-2004, 09:21 PM
Dr. Tandem don't think just because I charge people for this kind of information that it is not useful. One of my companies uses many tools that would be similar to AllDomains owned, MarkMonitor. MarkMonitor charges thousands of dollars for this kind of service.

Besides, I did say that I would do this gratis.

Our data showed no other domains that are registered to this company which you need to be concerned with. This is the company responsible for ownership of the domains you have in question:

Domain Name:
bofa.co.uk

Registrant:
BOFA (UK) Limited

Administrative Contact's Address:
BOFA (UK) Limited
Unit 3 Minster Park
West Moors
Wimborne
Dorset
BH21 6QW

Registrant's Agent:
IZR Solutions Ltd [Tag = IZR]
URL: http://www.izr.com

Relevant Dates:
Registered on: 11-Apr-1997
Renewal Date: 11-Apr-2005
Last updated: 15-Aug-2002

Registration Status:
Registered until renewal date.

Name servers listed in order:
auth1.izrsolutions.com 195.26.36.13
auth2.izrsolutions.com 195.26.37.13

Also has this address:
BOFA (UK) Ltd
Unit 13, Fleetsbridge Business Park, Upton Road
Poole
BH17 7AF (Road Map)
Dorset
Tel: 01202 666789
Fax: 01202 649933
Internet: www.bofa.co.uk
Owned by Paul Roberts

Product Description: Manufacturer of fume extraction and filtration equipment, specializing in laser fume purification. Bofa has a complete range of extractors designed for laser marking, welding, cutting and engraving on all materials from plastics to paper.

Yep, it's a competitor and the do the exact same thing you do!

As far as your Trademark is concerned we found numerous companies and organizations using PUREX and Laserx as names of products and/or services, both past and present. It could be an issue to you in the future.

However in this case you should file a dispute with Nominet. If the domains owned by this person have the same content then, in most cases, you would be awarded ownership of that domain. You could concieveably also take legal actions to recover damages to your company. Whether or not it is worth it for you to do so is your call entirely.

dpd1998
04-23-2004, 09:55 PM
The United States and U.K. have hundreds of agreements they have made togeather. Of course one of those is copy write infringement.

There is a company here in the States that has been using the word Purex for over a decade for laundry detergent they make. The current problems you are facing with the company in the UK useing Purex in there domain is the least of your problems if the company in the US finds out.

Just thought I'd let you know.

purex
04-24-2004, 05:41 AM
Thanks for the help all.

There are several Purex's around the world. I think it's also some kind of nuclear material/reaction or something so I don't think the Soap Powder people should have any worries from us!

EJRS.COM
04-24-2004, 09:30 PM
Purex,
Now, let this be a lesson to others about domain names. If you think yours is so special, register as many practical forms of it as you can. Such as yourcompany.com, .net, .org, and your-company.com, etc. Then you won't be bothered with look-a-likes. If there are already websites with the domain of your choosing, you can try purchasing the rights from the other party. Otherwise, just find a different domain name.

I agree. One who is seriously trying to promote their website really should buy all the domain variations too if they wanna stop others from buying and using them. Buy now or pay later.

paulhiles
04-24-2004, 09:50 PM
I know this may seem like "splitting hairs" - but is the laserex product mentioned above, the same as featured on laserex.net? (note, I'm not including the full URL) The point I'm trying to make is that your company seems to utilise this product as part of its service offering.. but you aren't responsible for the actual 'product' itself. Therefore you need to promote the uniqueness or USP of your particular service offering.. I understand from what you've said so far that your competitor seems to have registered the .co.uk domain and are apparently benefitting from this fraud.. this is the point that you need to emphasise in your case to Nominet.

Also, I know this may seem obvious.. but have you actually tried to contact this company and discuss the issue?

Paul

trsiyengar
04-25-2004, 12:46 PM
EJRS.COM suggests:

One who is seriously trying to promote their website really should buy all the domain variations too if they wanna stop others from buying and using them. Buy now or pay later.

Good, if such variations are available in one pack! Twenty such variation names would cost a person his or her business and the income earned from one single site well be spent on buying all the variations!

Buying all the varied domain name may be easy for the corporates and big business houses, but for a small timer is it really worth to spend huge sum on different extended variations?

Namasthe Everyone,
TRS Iyengar

EJRS.COM
04-25-2004, 02:34 PM
Well, one can easily buy one at a time. When I started off all I had was a meager income from the noodles and toys I sold. But I used knew ejrs.com was something I wanted. So I bought that domain. And the hosting. Then I saved up enough to go to the patent office and lawyers to legalize my business etc. Then I saved up more to buy the other domains 1 step at a time.

Paretto's 80/20 Principle: An investment of 20% of time, finances, life, etc will produce 80% of the results.

My Motto: If I will not invest in myself, why should anyone else invest in me?

trsiyengar
04-26-2004, 01:02 AM
EJRS.COM's motto:

If I will not invest in myself, why should anyone else invest in me?

Logic:
Good; You earn enough to buy all!! :) 80:20 ratio sounds realistic!

Namasthe Everyone,
TRS Iyengar

Linda Buquet
05-04-2004, 12:12 PM
but for a small timer is it really worth to spend huge sum on different extended variations?

If the domain is good and you want to keep your business for a long time and keep it protected, yes it's worth it. Especially since you can register names for $6.95 at some registrars these days.