PDA

View Full Version : Weird Problem

Dot_Commer
04-09-2004, 06:15 PM
Hey Guys,

I just had a quick question. Why is it that all of my URL's are case sensitive? For Example

www.myurl.com/onepage.htm --- would work fine
But

www.myurl.com/OnePage.htm --- comes up page cannot be displayed.

As you can see, neither of these work, because that's not really my site, I was just using them as an example ;)

Why is that? Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

eightfifteen
04-09-2004, 06:25 PM
All URL's, image names, html pages, etc are case-sensitive. Just they way things are.

imvain2
04-13-2004, 08:12 PM
I have to disagree with eightfifteen. If your website is hosted on a unix box, then eightfifteen is correct and you will need to make sure you type your links in as they are named.

However, my disagreement with eightfifteen is if you have a windows box then they are NOT case sensative.

But it is obvious you have a unix host.

Luckily, in my opinion a high majority of users will type in your domain name and not its pages. And domain names are not case sensative no matter what operating system you're host is using.

For your sanity my suggestion is when you are naming your images, folders, pages etc.. name them all in lower case. This has no functionality advantages, but it helps keeping yourself sain. This way you KNOW your naming structure is all lower case.

I have learnt this lesson from working with javascript for many years.

Hope I could help.

eightfifteen
04-14-2004, 10:50 AM
imvain2, you are exactly right. I've had my hosting on a UNIX box for so long, that I forgot about the windows world of hosting.

Dot_Commer
04-14-2004, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it... I am hosted on a Unix server.. Never knew that about the case though. All of my folders are in lower case, I just accidently turned on my caps lock, and got page cannot be displayed... It weirded me out! Thanks again guys!

xmx
05-04-2004, 02:35 PM
Hi,

what I know is that the domain name can be written as you want and it is recognised:

www.SuperPayer.com
www.superpayer.com
www.SuPeRpAyEr.com

will all load the site correctly.

Subdirectories and files are always case sensitive, if typed differently from the original name do not load and show an error page.