PDA

View Full Version : Can Win 98 and Win XP ... Talk ?

cyanide
03-29-2004, 01:46 PM
Well, I can network multiple PCs if they're all running Win 2000 and Win XP, without issue and using a router.

But, how about Win XP and Win 98 ?
Have to go see a client tomorrow, and they'll be asking this question.
What do I need and what issues should I be aware of?
How can I accomplish this?

On one PC (Win XP), they have a DSL internet connection with a router. They want to have a laptop(Win98) wired to this other PC for sharing files and internet connection.

carju1
03-29-2004, 06:12 PM
Don't know if its any help but...

I quite happily had a Win '98 PC and a XP (home) machine networked up and running internet etc through the XP machine. As long as I let the XP machine control everything it all worked fine. Only problem I had was couldn't get the printing process to work on the XP printer and occasionaly had to re-install the network on the '98 machine from floppy.

Julian

matauri
03-29-2004, 07:57 PM
Have already given Cyanide info, but will post it here too.

I run the same, tho...do have same prob as Julian...cant get XP (pro) to read the printer sharing from 98...but can from 2k, so anything from the 98 to print gets dumped in the shared network folder on the xp, otherwise they 'talk' to each other just fine.

Just my opinion...but I think it has something to do with the 'identities' in regards to the print sharing from the 98....because 98 doesnt have identities. But dont have same probs as Julian in regards to reinstalling network to 98....its been up & running for over a year now with no probs.

I run a PureData PDC 8023UA-8P .... Palm sized 8 port 10/100 Dual speed hub, with built in switch....Auto sensing 10/100Mbps, running off a single port DSL modem. Though, I think if they have a multi port DSL modem they can bypass that.

HTH!

rawdist
03-31-2004, 02:20 PM
I've done this fine on the network at our local school, everything worked including the printing. I would reccomend trying it unless the 98 PC's were second edition though.

JimboJ
03-31-2004, 05:27 PM
xp has to be master - and yes 2nd edition works fine as a slave along with printer sharing - I have it set up with 2 ethernet cards and a cross-over cable for the kids. Not the perfect option for a 56k but gets them both surfing

webprowannabee
03-31-2004, 06:37 PM
Any computers can "talk" providing they are using a compatible protocol. What kind of network do you have? Just make sure both your XP and 98 machines have the same network protocols installed, set them both up on the same domain or workgroup, and you should be fine.

Try using TCP/IP and also you may want to install NWLink NetBIOS.

Use a router and let it assign the IP addresses.

Daryl Craft
03-31-2004, 06:38 PM
I have networked almost every possible sequence of software. I do things like this just to test. I have found that with 95 and 98 first edition there were just a few bugs I ran into. But with 98SE I had no networking problems. I have heard however of some people having packet problems between the 2. I did however run into a problem once that stumped me until I realized the error was not the OS but believe it or not the NIC cards. DO NOT always believe that all cards are created equal. I have repaired networks that the people swore the OSes would not talk simply by changing the NICs. So if possible try to use the same brand NIC, I personally do not ever mix nics on a network if possible. Other than this you should have a smooth little chat between the networks.

Good Luck,

netman4ttm
03-31-2004, 06:45 PM
Just one detail to add.

The XP machine must have the 98's user added to its user list. The passwords should match. (convient not mandatory.)

atimmins
03-31-2004, 07:32 PM
There is something different in the way 98 and XP handle the TCP/IP stack. Just install the NWLink NetBIOS protocol and this should solve your problems.
In general you are better off using an external router than a PC with two NIC's. This is from a security standpoint. Should someone try to hack your network, an external router is a physical barrier between you and the Internet.
With Internet Connection Sharing the problem is that the barbarian is already in the Gate. That is you are trying to stop him while he's physically already in your machine. Would you rather bar your windows to keep intruders out of your house, or try to trap him once he's already broken in?

Keimos
03-31-2004, 07:41 PM
In answer to your original question.

Win XP will be the domain host over 98 as it is the latest version(just the way it works)you need to ensure that the printer drivers are installed on each machine (this varies from printer to printer depending on the type of network). You need to have file and printer sharing enabled for all machines that nee to shate resources, you also need to have them all working in the same workgroup. That is a XP thing especially if they are using NTFS as opposed to FAT 32. If the above are in place they will speak to each other, the only other thing to consider is if there are firewalls installed.

I have a network of Win 98, Win 2000 and Win XP Pro that all speak to each other. They all use the printers that I have without having to separately installing each printers drivers on each machine but I find that this ensures that there are no problems.

Hope that helps!

rmerts
03-31-2004, 08:50 PM
You should not expect any problems if you remember one basic thing that everyone here has been dancing around but not come out and said. Windows XP is, for this discussion, Windows NT on steroids. The trick to eliminate the printing issue is simple, I've done it here with a mix of Windows 2000 Servers, Windows XP Pro workstations and Windows 98SE workstations without any problems.

Windows XP depends on user(s) to set access levels. In a small setting (less than say 20 computers) the easy solution is to setup 20 users on your XP box and then use the usernames and passwords on the 20 Windows 98SE systems. If security is not an issue at all, then just create one user on the XP system and have every Windows 98 system use the same username. The simplest is one a username with a blank password; that way the students aren't even bothered with a password. Just make sure on the Windows XP system that you don't give that "student" account too much access. Windows 2000/XP is great at allowing access to only certain areas provided you set the user account up as "User" and not as "Administrator". Then share the printer and give the user(s) the rights to print and nothing else. If you have other shares on the XP system, you can even exclude any access to the shares if they are using that particular username. This works because when it connects to the Windows XP system it supplies the "logon-name" as a username to the XP system. If it's valid, and the password supplied on the Windows 98 system matches their XP (Windows NT, 2000, XP, etc) password then it's assumed they have access. There are steps that can be taken to eliminate this from working; but 95% of the time it works without any problems.

Ron Merts

golocal
03-31-2004, 10:45 PM
4 pc networked - 3 xp and one 98 all work fine together.

ChristinaS
04-01-2004, 02:36 AM
4 pc networked - 3 xp and one 98 all work fine together.

I have a simple 5 pc network, on a hub: 1 XP Pro, 1 XP Home, 1 W2K, 1 W98 and one Linux. They all talk OK now. It was rocky at first, the W98 and W2K ones took turns either not seeing each other or not being able to actually access each other. In the end it turned out it was a problem with the domains, users and passwords that didn't quite match on all machines. Matters are a bit complicated though as a couple of the pc's can be read but not written to by the others (on purpose). I don't share printers because I never managed to get that to work and it was easier (and cheaper) to have cheap printers on each of them although it's really silly. Next project will be to share at least one printer, I've got to get that to work.

mriana1
04-01-2004, 11:56 AM
What about Win ME and XP? Can they talk to each other? I have 128 RAM on my XP and my Win ME is basically a dinosaur computer and only recognizes 28 RAM out of 32 RAM. Is it possible to network the two comps together or should I get more RAM for my XP comp before networking the two together?

Dragonsi
04-01-2004, 12:11 PM
Mriana1 > ME & XP should network with no problems (they are very similar in architecture)

> Memory should only be a problem if you are setting up 1 PC to be a server. If you are just file sharing or require shared Internet access > this should not be a problem.

You will require a network card in each unit (10/100 LAN), a cross-over ethinet cable and just a tweak of the settings...

mriana1
04-01-2004, 11:52 PM
OK Thanks. :)

cyanide
04-13-2004, 02:53 AM
Great !

Thanks for everyone's input.

I was able to get internet sharing on both with the Linksys router. Now, I just have to figure out file sharing, then connect to a third, which is a laptop, and having to do it wireless.