View Full Version : Looking for some advice ...
03-04-2004, 05:11 AM
I just recently came across affiliate marketing
indirectly through adsense.
I run a web programming (server side and client side) website with an avg of 80k users and 200k views a month.
I am running adsense now which is wonderfull but
I am looking around to increase my revenue a little more.
I looked at programs such as CJ, tribal fusion, searchfeed but to be honest I am a little overwhelmed (not technically, but the number of programs and types thereof)
I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers
of what would be a good way to go about this considering my site topic.
Thank in advance.
03-04-2004, 01:24 PM
Welcome to WebProWorld. Yes there are many options and it can be difficult to know where to start. I would pick ONE of the top networks to start with. CJ, BeFree, LinkShare are the top 3 in the US.
CJ is the easiest for most people to start with and offers consolidated payments.
Then do a search for programs that compliment your site and that you think your current visitors would be interest in.
Most of my top earning affiliates use datafeeds which can double conversion rates and can put thousands of products on your site quckly which also provides more links, keywords and spider food. Technically it sounds like you could easily master the art of datafeed programming. If you don't know much about datafeeds there are some articles you can find in the resource section here:
Those are my starting 2 cents. I hope Cedric, Jack, Fred, or others will come over and give you their 2 cents as well.
03-04-2004, 03:53 PM
First of all thanks for your reply Catalyst.
I will be looking around for datafeeds, coding should indeed be not much of a problem, I might try to find a datafeed that contains electronics such as buy.com
03-04-2004, 04:03 PM
Another way you can approach this is to look around at what other, similar sites are running. Talk to your fellow webmasters and find out what kind of offers are converting well from them. It's a good starting point if you don't know where to start.
03-05-2004, 02:05 PM
80,000 visitors per month is not bad...if your Adsense clicks are 5%, you knock down
4,000 paying clicks. Average 10 cents and you pocket $400 per month.
One thing everyone needs to remember, when people come to your website, they have to leave it to go some place else.
The choice is ALWAYS the back button, home or some place you can send them or at least
arouse their curisosity about visiting.
One thing that always makes money is to have a search box that pays you for each search as an out link.
The best one for this is GoClick...they pay 2 cents per click. You buy some keyword ads with them, you automatically get to be an affiliate...the next best one is Lookquick which has a program on Shareasale. They pay 2 cents per search and 40% of any advertiser sign up.
With 80,000 visitors, you can pick up an extra $80 to $160 per month just from putting a paying search link at the bottom of every page on your site.
Say something like this:
Find whatever you desire fast and easy, click here (if it's a link) or use the search box below. (if you have the search box up).
In some cases the click thru rate can be as high as 50%, if that's the only outlink you have up.
Other than the search link, I usually have one or two other links that people see that pay me if people choose to go there.
I try to make one a FREE lead deal and one a place to buy stuff deal.
In a few cases the outlinks from some pages are the adsense links and the search link because on those pages the content is pre-selling a product or service.
Theoretically, other than the back button or a return to home click out, if you have just 3 other links on your page, each click out would get 20% of the click outs, because that's all the visitors have to click.
In reality the back button and back to home page click out get about 70% of the click outs. That leaves the other 30% to be divided by the remaining 3 links.
In your case, that would mean 8,000 searches, 8,000 click thrus each to the other 2 places. If you find the right merchant to put there and they are honest you can expect to knock down another $800 or more per month if the average click out earned you 5 cents per click either as a per click or as a per lead or sale.
Most web pages have way to many links to different place on them. don't make that mistake.