PDA

View Full Version : Why is my PC like this?

code007
02-14-2004, 04:29 AM
Hello All,

I am new to this forum and am writing here seeking some help for the situation I am facing with my PC.

My PC Config:

17 Inch Monitor
512 DDR RAM (256 each of same company)
80GB Hard Disk
Intel Pentium 4 2.6 GIG Hyper Threading Technology
Original Intel Motherboard 845
DVD ROM
CD-RW
Creative 2.1 Speakers with Sub Woofer
Logitech USB Digital Camera
Canon Canoscan USB Scanner

Also, In another 2-3 hours I will be adding another slot of 512 MB DDR RAM.

The problem is I dont see my PC as good as it should be. The performance is ok. Sometimes it gets hanged, while the fact is all the components are new. The Motherboard, processor etc are not even a month old.

My question is:

1.What can I do to make my machine show extreme performance?

2. What does a dream machine constitute of? Does my system meet its requirements?

Please help me out. I want to unleash the True potential of my PC.

Thanks a lot all.

Dragonsi
02-14-2004, 05:30 PM
Hi code007

Nice bit of kit, shame about it being Intel (oops sorry, AMD head on)...

Some qustions if you don't mind:

1) What's the speed of the memory and motherboard? (266/333 etc)

2) Is the HDD connected via IDE or SATA/RAID?

code007
02-14-2004, 08:55 PM
Thanks for attending to my Post.

1.The memory speed is 266MHZ and the System Bus Speed is 800MHZ.

2. I was on an AMD Athlon XP2000+ and wasnt at all impressed with it and so shifted to Intel.

3. I have one IDE 80GB Hard Disk and 1 SATA 80GB Hard Disk(Just bought it a few hours ago, yet to install, planning to make it the primary HDD)

4. And now I am on a 1GB DDR RAM.

What do you think is the problem as well as a solution?

Please help me out. I bet I am losing on a lot.

Thanks.

Dragonsi
02-15-2004, 08:06 AM
I found a massive difference when I moved my HDD to my SATA/RAID controller, I have the same speed memory as yourself but with an AMD 2.4GHz - using win2k - I find the system ultra fast, just SP4 has nacked everything..

Anyway back to your pc...

The trick is to find the slowest component and improve.. It will only run as fast as the slowest part.

I'm not a pc bits expert but I have heard that having too much memory and hard drive space can be debrimental to total system overall speed. Something to do with Windows seeing more memory and eating it up, making itself run slower... So you may need to tweek xp so that it doesn't become to greedy, lower cache space etc kind of thing.

I recently put Linux on my 1.4 AMD laptop, it now runs twice as fast as the counter bootable xp.. If you know a bit about pc's - try Linux, that should speed things up..

I'm sure someone here as some more contructed ideas.... Good luck with your quest for speed... :)

Dragonsi
02-15-2004, 08:07 AM
oops - double posted....

code007
02-17-2004, 04:01 PM
Hi Dragon,

The problem is I am not a PC expert and worst is that I dont know how to install a Linux though I have SuSe Enterprise 8.0 Edition.

I now have 1GB RAM and 1 SATA HDD and 1 Normal IDE HDD of 80GB each.

Should I do away with Windows XP Professional? I have been hesitent because I love its interface etc.

What is the solution? What do you suggest?

I appreciate any help from the other PC experts too.

Thanks a lot.

Dragonsi
02-17-2004, 06:56 PM
I would certainly say that your normal IDE HDD is slowing things down slightly, the SATA drive is about 4x faster (or more), so this should contain all main programs and applications (including your o/s) - use the other drive for back-up, large datafiles (occasional use) and as a swap drive. If you have plenty of spare space, remove it completely.

With XP - it's 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other. changing things like making your cashe smaller (control panel > internet options > temperary internet files > setting > make the cashe about 75Mb) as the default if 50% of available ram - you will never use 500Mb of internet files. I used xp for about 2 years, then switched to w2k pro - mainly for its networking facilities like blocking drives/partitions to users etc - however, I do find it generaly quicker than xp (less emparsis on novice users and good looking interface) but if there's a snag with something, it WILL crash - where xp will try to keep going.

Try putting w2k pro on your SATA drive, unplug the other with xp on, get your system running and try installing a few regular apps and see if its faster.

another 'posh' way of making your processor run faster and smoother is to install the new water cooling systems. Be careful to check for leaks.... These are proven to increase high activity processing times by over 100% due to your cpu running about 10' cooler.

If you have the dosh, get registered memory (333MHz if you can) - this is more stable and a hell of lot better at transfering data. If you try w2k, let me know what you think, you can improve the look by downloading windowblinds - this adds an xp feel to w2k but will slow it down slightly.

godzilla
02-17-2004, 07:52 PM
returning to you previous post as I understood(corrcet me if I'm worng) You have a Motherboard+CPU with FSB 800 and your memory runs at 233Mhz...
If this is the case note that every program that you run is loaded to memory(windows also creates virtual memory spac eon your HHD but here you won't be able to fix things). So in the worst case your CPU will be slowed down up to 4 times when he executes data hungry programs.
If you do have 800 FSB why you do not use dual 400Mhz memory?
Having big memory is good but having big and fast memory is much better...

code007
02-18-2004, 04:35 AM
Yes I have already made my SATA Drive as primary and use my normal one for Backup. I have made only 1 partition in each, that is 80GB CDrive and 80GB D Drive.

What is dual 400Mhz memory? How do I install it? Do you mean to say I change my Motherborad again?

I prefer Win2k3 to Win2k. I like it and yes, it was fast. The problem is it is a little complicated with lots of networking stuff. I have Win2k3 SBS, Enterprise, Standard, Web and one more edition. I like Enterprise, but am not 100% comfortable using it.

Is there any Tweak in XP Pro that I can do to improve its performance and speed?

Thanks a lot for all your inputs so far.

Dragonsi
02-18-2004, 09:01 AM
One thing that came to me earlier was when my puttie slows down, a good defrag helps. How often do you defragment your drives (being only 1 partition, this can take a long time)?

I would suggest at least once a month or when things get slower.

And godziller is right, if your mother board will take 400MHz memory, use it - the 233MHz is good but is working slower than your motherboard's capabilities.

godzilla
02-18-2004, 10:10 AM
As you stated earlier you have

1.The memory speed is 266MHZ and the System Bus Speed is 800MHZ." This, if carefully used, should mean that your CPU and your motherboard are capable of supporting 800Mhz of trasfer rate. In general though I can agree that some people do not make the proper distinction between the fact that CPU may have Front Side Bus(FSB) 400Mhz while Motherboard supports 800Mhz...
Dual memory is a new design which allows to arrive at speeds close to 800Mhz. In real life it is nothing more that dual bus 400Mhz memory. But the fact that it is dual bus allows two accesses at the same time.
The question now is to know what you mean by System bus? motherboard or CPU's FSB + motherboard?

If the first then you may get real improvements by increasing the memory speeds. If the second you are strongly recomended to change the memory to something more faster because it slows down your processor and rest of the system for at least 50% of your applications.[/u]

code007
02-18-2004, 05:42 PM
Agreed. How do I do this? Is it any hardware I have to add? Please enlighten.

Thanks a lot.