PDA

View Full Version : Help with changing hosts

busy1
02-10-2004, 05:11 AM
My existing host will not transfer my website to another host, I am done downloading my entire site, through Adobe Acrobat, I could get all my files up there if I just knew how to set the right format I need (all files). I want it to to have the internet explorer icon as the rest of my files that I upload to my new server have.
Any help would be appreciated.
Lynn

cyanide
02-13-2004, 07:09 PM
HI Lynn,

Well, yes, some hosts won't help with that.

I don't quite understand why you are downloading with Acrobat?
Has you new host given you ftp info and do you have access to an ftp client?

Let me know if I can assist further.... will need to know a bit more about your server environment

godzilla
02-17-2004, 07:55 PM
I also do not really understand how you downloaded all your old files through the Acrobat ... and what you are planning now.

Dragonsi
02-18-2004, 09:09 AM
If your using Win2000 or XP, you can use Internet Explorer as an FTP client. It's not the best and not the most secure but it works and its free.

Just open 2 windows, type the ftp address for each server into each IE, enter your username and password, then just 'cut n paiste' the files from 1 window to the next. However, it's always a good idea to have a backup offline version of your site stored safely on your own PC. So best to copy to your PC first, then upload to your new server.

I too would like to why you used Acrobat to download files, wasn't sure it could do that...

code007
02-19-2004, 01:22 PM
Does Adobe Acrobat really have this function? Are you talking about Adobe Download Manager?

~Karen~
02-19-2004, 04:12 PM
Most hosts will not help transfer a client away from them, which is understandable.

However, most hosts will help transfer a new client to the new server. If you new host using Cpanel, then they can do this easily.

If you new host can not perform the transfer, downloading your whole site through FTP is the easiest way. Then it is a simple upload through FTP to the new server, and you are all set.

Hope this helps.

Karen