PDA

View Full Version : DSL Networking Help

forrest0177
01-15-2004, 10:52 PM
I recently purchased DSL and everything is going great. The only problem is that I have two computers in my room. I have a 4-port router connected to the DSL modem and my computer is plugged into one of those ports. Is there anyway to connect the two computers in my room using a crossover cable (I tried but it did not work). I don't want to run another cable through the house because it is a big hassle. If anybody could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

redcircle
01-16-2004, 05:16 AM
You should beable to plug the crossover cable into the uplink port on the router. It should be autosensing depending on the make of the router. You may need to depress the uplink/node button. Give the make/model of the router and I can research for you.

forrest0177
01-16-2004, 12:52 PM
I don't want to plug the cable into the router, I want to be able to just connect my two computers together and share the internet connection that way. It would be much more convenient and then I hope to share files/printers over them too. If I cannot do this, is there a way to setup a network over my Linksys router so I can share files/printers. By the way, I have Windows 2000 Professional if that helps.

forrest0177
01-16-2004, 12:55 PM
I don't want to plug the cable into the router, I want to be able to just connect my two computers together and share the internet connection that way. It would be much more convenient and then I hope to share files/printers over them too. If I cannot do this, is there a way to setup a network over my Linksys router so I can share files/printers. By the way, I have Windows 2000 Professional if that helps.

redcircle
01-16-2004, 04:48 PM
I think you have some misunderstanding on what a router does. If you plug each computer into the router you will have the same effect as if they were directly connected to eachother. The router basically allows you to get more than 2 computers to talk to eachother. Basically plug each computer into the router and share the connection. no need to use internet connection sharing. You are over-complicating things. Since you already have the crossover cable run then plug that into the #1 port on the router which is autosensing and plug the other computer into port #2 with a normal cat 5 cable. The two computer will see eachother as if you were using the crossover cable between JUST the two computers. You will beable to share files/printers just like before.

forrest0177
01-16-2004, 05:29 PM
I probably am overthinking it, but I forgot to mention that I don't have any open ports. It is a 4-port router and we have 5 computers. The router is in another room than mine (it is on the other side of the house). I ran one cable to the other side of the house but I do not wish to run another one. I have two computers in my room and wish to connect the one (I'll say ComputerB) to the other computer (ComputerA) that is connected to the Router. ComputerA gets internet access but ComputerB does not. Is there anyway to just dirrectly connect ComputerB to ComputerA to get internet access and share files. I do not want to purchase a hub so I thought I could somehow use a crossover cable. Thanks for taking the time and effort to help me with my problem.

gene02
01-16-2004, 11:01 PM
Forrest if you find away let me know I have been to lazy to run my cable to the other end of the house so I do have a computer that isn't on line at this time. PS and I'm to cheap to go wireless

forrest0177
01-17-2004, 03:00 PM
I figured it out. The computer with the internet connection will be your proxy server. If you have a firewall running on this computer (i.e. Norton Internet Security) it needs to be disabled. The computer with the internet connection must have two NICs (network cards). The first NIC is plugged into the DSL router. The second NIC will be used to connect to your other computer (the one without the internet connection). Connect the two computers using a crossover cable (I found one at OfficeMax for about 7 dollars). Use these configurations:

Computer A Computer B
IP: 192.168.12.8 192.168.12.9
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 255.255.255.0

Now you should be able to connect to each other after you restart. Make sure if you have any firewalls to disable them. Now that you connect to each other you have to setup your proxy server. Forst off, goto: http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm . This is a simple proxy server software package. It will allow you to run a proxy server on the computer with the internet connection. Once installed all you need to do is setup the other computer without the internet connection. Open Internet Explorer and goto Tools --> Internet Options. Goto the Connections tab and then goto the Lan Settings button and click it. Go down and make sure Use a Proxy Server is clicked. Type in this address: 192.168.12.8 port: 6588. Restart and that should do it. If this does not work you can email me at Forrest_Kelly@msn.com or just post another reply.

redcircle
01-18-2004, 10:45 PM
Sorry I didn't know the situation.

You have the option of having two network cards in one of the computers connect one of the cards to the network and connect the other with a crossover cable and use internet connection sharing. OR. purchase a 5 port switch to further your network growth. costs of a crossover cable and another network card will come very close to just buying a 5 port switch.

Ann Bee
01-21-2004, 07:23 PM
Hey guys,
Iam not too computer literate, but I've found nice website, so I can share it with you
http://www.adminbiz.com
and there MCSE answering questions for FREE!
Ck if you will find it usefull.
Regards, Ann

computerguy
01-27-2004, 08:24 PM
One simple solution is to buy a cheap 5 port hub. Plug the cable in from the router to the hub and then plug in your other computers. That should do it. This minimal setup will allow you to use dhcp, if configured, to get an ip address from your router and share files and printers if you desire.

mikmik
01-27-2004, 11:04 PM
What OS's do yoy have on the two computers?
This is really a simple problem, but tougher than it looks.
Do you have to be able to be 'connected at the same time? You could just switch the cable back and forth fron one to the other, like I do! lol

But if you tell me the operating systems, I can tell you - so could most of us I think :O)

If one is WIN XP, your problems are over, but basically it is what forrest0177 said but winxp will run a wizard and you just have to assign the same domain names to all the computers.

(There may be an issue with printer functionality/access sneeking up here, to)

RobH
01-28-2004, 04:44 AM
Hi Forrest,

Yes, it can be done pretty easily if you're using Windows 2000 or later. Best to assign a fixed IP address to your 'server' computer and have it running the DHCP service. When the 'client' computer boots up (you must have the server booted first) it'll get a valid IP assignment from the DHCP server and the two should be able to communicate. Try using the 'IPconfig /all' and 'ping' commands to confirm they're talking to each other. All that remains to be done then is to allow Intenet connection sharing on the server computer.

Go to 'network and dial up connections' properties (right click it), open the properties of your Internet connection and enable sharing in the sharing tab. That should be that. I'm referencing Win 2000 though so XP is probably a bit different, same theory though.

HTH!

RobH

TrafficProducer
01-28-2004, 06:00 AM
Windows XP Easy way

Use a LAN to link two, or more, computers together.

Use "Set up Home or Small Office Network".

Set to same Workgroup.

This should create a disk which you can then use on any other computer on the Network.

Hope this helps with Win 2000.

DrTandem1
03-20-2004, 12:15 PM
Sorry, I'm late on this subject. Two computers using a cross-over cable will require one of the computers to be the host and the other the client. The host will be the one carrying the DSL internet connection that you have. The host computer will need two NICs (network interface cards), one for the DSL connection and the other for the connection of the cross-over cable to the client computer. The client computer will need one NIC.

You will then need ICS (internet connection sharing software) to allow the two computers to share the internet connection. This software is available through many vendors and may already be available on the computers you have by using your Networking Wizard.

A better way to do all of this is to have a router. They make wireless ones so you don't need to run cable throughout the house or room. This also allows you to only need one NIC for each machine or a USB port for a wireless connection. and you don't have to fool around with ICS. The DSL modem will connect to the WAN port of the router (make sure you get a broadband router). The computers will connect to the router with either an ethernet cable (straight, not cross-over) or via a wireless connection.

The advantage of using the router, besides ease, is that both computers don't have to be running. With a cross-over cable, the host machine must always be running to access the internet from either computer.

DrTandem1
03-20-2004, 12:15 PM
Sorry, I'm late on this subject. Two computers using a cross-over cable will require one of the computers to be the host and the other the client. The host will be the one carrying the DSL internet connection that you have. The host computer will need two NICs (network interface cards), one for the DSL connection and the other for the connection of the cross-over cable to the client computer. The client computer will need one NIC.

You will then need ICS (internet connection sharing software) to allow the two computers to share the internet connection. This software is available through many vendors and may already be available on the computers you have by using your Networking Wizard.

A better way to do all of this is to have a router. They make wireless ones so you don't need to run cable throughout the house or room. This also allows you to only need one NIC for each machine or a USB port for a wireless connection. and you don't have to fool around with ICS. The DSL modem will connect to the WAN port of the router (make sure you get a broadband router). The computers will connect to the router with either an ethernet cable (straight, not cross-over) or via a wireless connection.

The advantage of using the router, besides ease, is that both computers don't have to be running. With a cross-over cable, the host machine must always be running to access the internet from either computer.