PDA

View Full Version : Javascript Programmer WANTED

genesower
12-26-2003, 08:34 PM
Hello there, I'm looking to hire a javascript programmer to write some code and help me implement it and install it on my website. I run a pet product site for dog owners and I want to offer free content to other webmasters as a way to increase traffic and help promote my own site. Here's an example of exactly what I'm looking to do for my own site as shown here on this other site:

http://www.petpeoplesplace.com/webmasters/content.htm

I'd want to offer a variety of dog health and wellness tips, etc. With my own logo images, etc., of course. Please contact me directly at the info in my sig below. Thanks -gene

ronniethedodger
12-26-2003, 10:41 PM
What you are talking about is "content syndication". I think if you did a search for that phrase plus some other words like php, javascript, cgi etc. it will get you in the right area.

From what I understand about the process, is that it is not that hard to set up. There are a number of scripts out there that are already written that will handle this for you.

Also, the javascript portion you are seeing is one of the normal ways of delivering the content itself. It is easy for webmasters to plug in this code onto their pages. The actual "content server" is usually in another language such as php, perl, or cgi. But again...there are some open source software written I think that will handle this part also. I think it generally entails some type of RSS or XML feed....heck I dunno about that though..hehehe.

With all that said, one of the problems (from what I have read) is that people can still tap into that content and strip your link, or cloak it, in some fashion. So you are always having to be on your guard with this.

I did notice on the webpage sample that you listed that the javascript code did not include any <noscript> tags in it. This is to their disadvantage I would think, for the spider cannot read the contents inside of the <script> tags.

Another route I might suggest is perhaps setting up some type of promotional exchange with some pet supply places where you basicly would "cross-promote" each other in some way. For instance, instead of link exchanges...this would be more or less a "page exchange".

What do you think of Ark's Naturals Sea Mobility products?

genesower
12-30-2003, 01:43 PM
Hi Ronnie...,

Thanks for the feedback. FYI, can you believe that someone from this forum sent me for FREE the exact code I needed? It's a server side script with a javascript link. It's nice to remember how generous people on the Net can be.

Regarding the Sea Mobility product, I hear, anecdotically, that it's pretty good stuff. I carry a couple other hip and joint products and I try not to carry a lot of similar products that do the same thing. But I do carry their Happy Traveler calming supplement. Ark Naturals is a good company.

Do you have a dog? If so, stop on by. Thanks -gene

ronniethedodger
12-31-2003, 03:18 AM
Thanks for the feedback. FYI, can you believe that someone from this forum sent me for FREE the exact code I needed? It's a server side script with a javascript link. It's nice to remember how generous people on the Net can be.

Kewl, glad you found what you needed...or in this case....landed in your lap! Can't beat that.

Just keep an eye on people stealing your work and using it as their own. Might want to slap some stern Copywrite legal mumbo-jumbo on your articles. I have seen a couple of threads around here that dealt with that aspect of it. It dealt more with site content in general, but I think the same would apply here.

Let me know when you get things up and running. I might be interested in some of your articles. We do sell the Ark's Naturals products (Linda's dog is getting up in years too) and I think they will fit in pretty well.