PDA

View Full Version : Using Fdisk command



cecilia78
09-23-2004, 09:58 PM
Hi Guys,
I need some assistant I'm new using the fdisk command. I would like to reformat my whole hard drive, start clean...so I can install my o/s from scratch...What steps should I follow. , once I get to the "Delete DOS PARTITION or Logical DOS Drive" which option should I choose?
I have one active partition system fat16, usage 5%, and the other one is not active, and is using 95%, should I delete both???
HELP!!!!!!!!!

Clicken
09-24-2004, 01:20 AM
Welcome cecilia78,

Look in Web Development at the Forum Index, you will find more than enough help there I'll bet.

Click On!

Jubjub
10-15-2004, 03:39 PM
It's worth noting that Fdisk doesn't really format a drive. Fdisk creates and deletes disk partitions. If you just need to format the disk, boot with a startup disk to a dos prompt and do format c: /s.

If you need to repartition the drive, use fdisk. You will want to make sure that you want to delete partitions. Oftentimes, vendors for desktop machines will create a small disk partition to store system files for recovery.

If you are certain that you don't need anything on either partition, you can delete both partitions and then create a new partition using the full size of the disk. Fat32 is better than Fat16 and I don't believe Fdisk is capable of creating an NTFS partition. Fat32 is good for windows 95/98/Millenium and NTFS is the native partition for Windows NT/2000/XP. As I recall, the Xp install disk will partition the drive for you but it's been a while since I did a clean install so check your docs.

mikmik
10-22-2004, 02:56 AM
You are right, Jubjub. For windows 2000 and XP installs, you have to boot from the CD and the setup allows you to delete, create and format partions.

In fdisk, you have to delete the extended/logical dos partitions first, then the primary. When you then create the partion, or partiions, you must set the first one, the primary, as active. You wont hurt anything on a hard drive using fdisk, it will prompt you if you make the wrong choice - doing something in the wrong order.


Welcome cecilia78,

Look in Web Development at the Forum Index, you will find more than enough help there I'll bet.

Click On!

You are right, Clicken. Click on!
!!!!!
-----

godzilla
11-16-2004, 01:38 PM
few comments on the suggestions above:
format command will not remove sertain "critical" files of windows (Me and above): what ever you do some staff will still be there.

Fdisk will not erase your drives clean it will make them look clean(set new partitions) to all applications and new system will be installed over the garbage left on the drive.

In general it is a good idea to use fdisk for erasing all partitions and creating new ones. Then formating the drive if you want to see it as it was when the HD was made.

Finally, note that if you use XP,2003 or Platinum they will do partitionning, if you ask, during the windows installation.

As for the types of partitions: unless your computer is very old NTFS is most reliable solution. Next choice should be FAT32 for the partition type.

jvm2bmb
12-08-2004, 11:41 PM
Good day!

The first question to ask should be: what OS are you going to install into the system?

I have a feeling that you want to use windows 98 or lower. Otherwise, if your system can run windows xp let xp do the partitioning, formatting and setup for you.

Second, do you want to use the space just for storage for your old reliable system? If so, you do not need fdisk... simply use the format command at the prompt.

Should you need help on how to use the format command simply type: format /? (at the prompt line)

it should look this way:

c:>format /?

then, follow instruction given in your screen.

Likewise, this will also work for your fdisk command at the command line. Simply type: fdisk /?

the samples and instruction should appear right next to it.


In the end, if you want to go to the prompt simply go to the run and key in: command

This should bring you to the command prompt.

All for the best!