PDA

View Full Version : Domain name with wrong mailing address?

yowow
08-17-2004, 12:37 PM
I read it somewhere that if you put a wrong mailing address in your domain name. Somebody can dispute it and they can get it. Is this true? but how would you dispute i mean i browsed icann website but coudn't any info about this!!!!!

AGS
09-22-2004, 08:12 PM
That info is somewhat correct. But they would not "get it"

You are at risk of losing your domain if any information is incorrect including the wrong zip code.

The registrar can and will place a lock on the domain if they are contacted by anyone wishing to file claim. And it is very easy to do.

For example you have a competitors website and notice they use an old phone number in their whois because they have recently moved and did not update the whois info.

This domain will be locked upon verification that there is incorrect whois info. But nothing really happens to the domain other than they cannot change DNS, push the domain ect, They can still upload new pages or do anything via FTP. But the downfall is that until the whois info is corrected they will not be able to renew the domain either, And if this happens they are at risk of a professional domainer snapping that domain.

jawn_tech
09-27-2004, 02:13 PM
Just curious, is one at risk of identity theft by not paying the extra fee for getting the domain 'private'?

Or what about phone number -- can one use their home address but use their work phone number?