View Full Version : Spyware Software
08-01-2004, 06:56 PM
I was wondering if anybody would happen to have a list of spyware that I could look into. I have spybot and like it but from reading all of the posts on spyware it seems best if a person has at least a couple others that they use. What would be the best one to use all the way to the worse one that you should not touch.
Are any of these good, where would you look to find a download for one of these, what order would you list these at.
Do any of these take out the spyware on a computer or do you need to have 1-2-3-4 of these programs. What can a person do to try to prevent spyware from getting on your computer? What other precautions would you need to do?
Thanks to all that reply.
08-02-2004, 12:55 AM
I have a job because of spyware. And I hate it so much. No I don't benefit from the advertising profits etc. I get paid to remove it from peoples computers and it is becoming harder and harder to get the slime off. Every week I'm adding a new method with dealing with the stuff. Here's my procedure.
1. Do backups of critical files.
2. Download a trial of f-prot for windows (if using winxp) Free dos version works best with win9X and ME. when using dos version boot from a write protected floppy.
available at www.f-prot.com
3. Run Ad-Aware first. Be sure to do the updates. This gets rid of lots. www.lavasoftusa.com
4. Run Spybot Search & Destory (gets the leftovers that ad-aware misses) www.safer-networking.org
5. If coolwwwsearch appears in any of the found Items download and run CWShreder www.spywareinfo.com (hasn't been up lately so try http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/ good mirror with others)
6. Use HijackThis to remove the stubborn stuff out of the startup. (this is more advanced than the average user can handle there are many spyware support pages that can help) also available from the maker of CWShreder www.spywareinfo.com (see mirror)
7. Many spyware install LSP's that none of the spyware removal tools detect. Use LSP Fix to remove them. This is again for more advanced users do some research on using this first. http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm
8. If you have VX2 that keeps coming back try VX2 finder. This one is a real pain and may need to be done several times. http://download.broadbandmedic.com/
9. install Spyware Blaster. This app does not remove spyware. It attempts to stop the machine from becoming infected in the first place. http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
10. Stop using Internet Explorer and use Mozilla FireFox www.mozilla.org
I like to install all the apps then go into safe mode so there aren't as many programs running that might prevent the removal of the spyware.
08-09-2004, 12:31 AM
Anybody tell me what would cause this type of error message to come up on my screen?
Unable to request URL from host ad.doubleclick.net:80: Connection refused
Would this be a problem on my computer? If so anybody have any ideas as to how I can correct it. So far I have run spybot and ad-ware and have re-installed my operating system.
08-09-2004, 01:51 AM
If you have installed spybot correctly it will most likely block that site. In the spybot config check the hosts section. It's most likely in there.