PDA

View Full Version : Do these domain names fit?

MaineWeb
07-28-2004, 12:55 PM
One company whose website I'm responsible for is called Main Resource, Inc. We repair,refurbish and sell telecom equipment, especially Comdial, Executone, Inter-tel, Isoetec, Premier and Toshiba and we sell new headsets. The domain names we hold are these:

maineresource.biz,maineresource.com, mainresource.biz,mainresource.com,mainresource.org , myheadset.com,myheadsets.biz,myheadsets.com, repairaphone.com

Would it be helpful to get domains like "usedexecutone.com" (taken, but just an example) "refurbishedphonesystems.com", "discountbusinessphones.com"?

We might get some type-in traffic, but I'm wondering if there is any other advantage that I'm overlooking. Thanks!

imvain2
07-28-2004, 06:42 PM
Well you are correct in the Type In Traffic, and there is the fact that Mrs. Google gives you love points for having the keywords in the domain when those keywords are searched for.

However, my company just learned the below fact the HARD way. Domain pointers are the devil incarnate. We had a bunch of domain pointers point to a single domain (IP) address until we developed them, for a long time we were getting lots of traffic from them. All of a sudden we lost over 85% of our traffic, we looked at site:domain.com (in google) and analyzed our stats and found out that our site and its pointers were basically killed from the duplicate content filter. So we removed ALL domain pointers and a few months later we are back at the top.

MaineWeb
07-29-2004, 11:24 AM
Thanks for your reply. Just to clarify.....

I already have 9 domain names for the same site (the headsets domains point to a page inside the mainresource site). Could those be hurting me? And if not, would there be any harm in getting another one or two?

Thanks again,

keywordguy
08-01-2004, 01:32 PM
Make sure the content on each mini-site or page is unique and different from content that may reside on your primary site.

Duplicate or similar content will get you banned in Google as the previous post suggests.

TLDTrader.com
08-06-2004, 01:12 PM
First and most important, never make pages with duplicate content. You risk being penalized by doing this. Never make pages that might be construed as doorway pages to your main site. Of course, these were already pointed out by the previous posts :)

Now to answer your question regarding buying additional domains for your(or your clients) business. You should be happy with MaineResource.com. You can't get more "brandibility" than that :)

The thing to do is select the "perfect" achor text for your website and get back links for it. That will help you more in the SERPs than buying a new domain name.

Good Luck

MaineWeb
08-11-2004, 12:37 PM
So, I guess I should get rid of all of them except mainresource and myheadsets? I hate to lose maineresource because people don't always understand that there is no "e" in mainresource (especially since we are located in MainE)and its nice to have myheadset. But, the headsets domains all go to the same place and the mainresource variations all go to the same place. So,now I'm not really sure what to do with all the other domains. I don't want to make doorway pages, I know those are no good. But, I hate to waste them. If I had just one page for each domain, with some industry-related information that isn't on the main site and had a link from there to my main site, is that considered a doorway page?

I feel like I'm missing something. Amazon.com has amazon.biz also, but I'm sure they can do a lot of things I can't get away with.

What I think you are all saying (and thanks for the replies, by the way) is that I should get rid of all the duplicates/variations. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks again.

computergenius
08-15-2004, 05:53 AM
Make sure the content on each mini-site or page is unique and different from content that may reside on your primary site.

Duplicate or similar content will get you banned in Google as the previous post suggests.

This is something that has always concerned me. I have a number of sites, but just taking two sites for now...

One site has information about places, one place has info about property for sale in those places. Obviously, there are links from one to the other. I can't remember where or why, but I was told that this was a Bad Thing, lots of links going backwards and forwards between the sites...

Now, I have the properties on all sites, via a shared MySQL database. So the property pages are almost identical, except for the CSS, but the rest of the site is different. And some other sites (not mine) carry the property pages as affiliates.

Confuses me! Taken to it's logical extreme, sites carrying feeds would be penalised as well, because their content is the same as others.

I wish I could figure out which way to go!