PDA

View Full Version : Port Forwarding

BulletToothTony
11-07-2003, 11:01 AM
Hello, I was wondering what people out there used for Port Forwarding. Currently, I am using dynu (www.dynu.com), but recently there servers have been going down twice a week at the least. This have been going on for the past three months and I had to deal with a four day span of my site being down. My site is for a small business and this is the most affordable option that is available. If anybody can name any other companies, sites, or servers that they use, it would be greatly appreciated.

williamjay
11-22-2003, 09:44 AM
Firstly, 'port forwarding' is when a firewall or router takes a request on a publicly accessible ip:port and forwards it to an ip.address:port inside your network. I think what you are referring to is 'URL forwarding', a means by which an URL gets resolved to the ip address where the webserver is now.

I use easyDNS.

For hosting httpd on a port other than 80, (port forwarding), one needs to use the more advanced service type, offering URL redirection and/or cloaking, or a combination of global URL forwarding with local PORT forwarding . . .

William