PDA

View Full Version : question on multiple domains!

bchick
07-02-2004, 06:07 PM
Any assistance on this topic is greatly appreciated.
It's the issue of multiple domains - is this a bad thing or is it ok? What I mean by that is this. We have purchases several domains (over 50) - most are setup to redirect to our home page of crown.com. The reason we purchased the domains is for future project, prevent competition, etc. (Example: www.domainchicago.com - should redirect to www.domain.com). Now, not every domain that we own resolves to our main site but the majority of them do. Is this a bad thing to do? Is this generally considered as an underhanded practice and could result in being banned from an engine? What is the best approach to take with the domains that we own? We want to make sure that a user can find us - in a multiple of ways - but we don't want to be causing ourselves any harm.

Eventually some will be on the same server some will not. There is a max. number of NIC cards that can be in a physical machine and a max number of IP addresses that can be bound to each NIC as well.

I believe most of the domains when registered with DNS are pointing to www.domain.com....currently they are not technically sites - just domains that we own.

Barbara
bchick@monmouth.com

bhartzer
07-02-2004, 06:16 PM
If you don't do the proper redirect then it's possible that you'll get penalized for duplicate content and then banned.

You should pick one domain name for your main site. All other domain names should have a 301 Permanent Redirect to the main site.

Any other type of redirect will get you into trouble.

internetbasedmom
07-02-2004, 07:01 PM
Absolutely, bhartzer...but...I'm confused by the question a little, bchick. What do you have on the domains that are not redirecting? It it the same content? Or is it something else?

Alice

Brittany
07-02-2004, 07:04 PM
Hey bchick,

Thanks for posting! I've moved your post to our Domain Game forum due to its "domain" content.

I hope the experts here will be able to answer your questions.

Good luck!

Brittany