PDA

View Full Version : Emergency! Assistance needed!

JMac
11-04-2003, 03:37 PM
And not for a sporting injury either... this time.

I'm sure there's a better place for this post so I leave it in our moderator's good hands to move it - or use it - or lose it - whatever it takes!

I need to put together a business card CD portfolio. Now, I can go to my PC and do it up in PowerPoint but - can you make a PowerPoint presentation auto-launch on insertion of the cd? I'd rather work on my Mac, too - is Keynote the only way to go or is that just what MacWorld has to say on the topic?
What about a Quicktime movie - can I set it to autoplay when the person puts the cd in their computer?
And are any of you doing this type of thing? I already gave my customer the quote because it's all part of a marketing package for her, but I'd like to know what other people are charging for this kind of service a la carte.

This is an absolute MUST know NOW type of question guys - I'm counting on you WPW people to rescue my clumsy ... self. (Here's where it should read "please help!")

I've got to put the presentation together in the next day or two - I'm just doing the photography right now...
And - do you think a cd portfolio with an accompanying brochure with the prices is suitable for a jewelry designer selling wholesale?

I know - this is definitely not the right forum but I know someone here will know. And let me know.

Thanks again everyone!

JMac

mikmik
11-04-2003, 03:59 PM
I know that Macromedia director would be perfect but I think it would take longer than a couple of hours to do.
I have an 'Autorun' thingy (took about 3 min to finally decide on that term) that starts a CD playing when it is inserted, but I haven't tried using it yet. Maybe you might have to 'sub-contract', I know someone who does that here in kelowna so maybe a quick drive to Vantopolis?
Use my email m44l@yahoo.ca if you want to get ahold of me quickly (Or my ph. no. on my contacts page) but there should be some better help around here somewhere. Whats that, your hard drive failed and you can't get what you need till when?!
I'll check on the autoplay utility right away.
Try posting this in "flash" in the webdesign, also grease and sauldam might know, and there was just a thread on streaming media using Quicktime (on mac of course)

carbonize
11-04-2003, 04:58 PM
You do have to take into account the fact that the people may not have PowerPoint installed, or whatever format you choose so may have to supply the player on the disc as well.

JMac
11-04-2003, 05:33 PM
That's why I am thinking Quicktime over anything else - more people have that installed than PowerPoint... I think.
Quicktime is also cross platform.

Now I have a Quicktime Player AppleScript folder here in OS X - it has something called an autorun script but I think that may just be the equivalent of setting a preference for my own player - not the export setting on a Quicktime creation.

What?

Anyways - I think I know what I mean there.... >:-)

Mikmik - Vantopolis? Is that like the VW van equivalent of a trailer park? I kid, of course. Not being from BC though - I have no idea where Kelowna is, never mind Vantopolis. I've heard of Kelowna though!!!
Unfortunately, I don't drive either.
Yup - I just emerged from the bush life myself and I am headed your way people!!! Hopefully, yer all nice like those folks in Vernon, eh?

JMac - <live from the teepee>

mikmik
11-04-2003, 05:51 PM
Vantopolis = Vancouver
Kelowna = 30 minutes south of Vernon, don't know on average how nice people are compared to Vernon but the nicest person in the world lives here. I think that I found exactly what you are looking for!!
I am sending a private message unless you are reading this now , I make it 2:53 on my PC. I also have the most hilarious video of a Mac user.

mikmik
11-04-2003, 05:59 PM
Here are two links that I found - you do want it to auto-play, yes?
I found some programs and plug-ins to make auto-start VCD's as well.
It looks like I will try the e-mail route so check your e-mail before you read this.
Forgot to add the links:
http://www.newfreeware.com/graphics/presentation/0-4.html has a Mac shareware thing for powerpoint and some others;
http://www.timeless.co.zw/software.cfm , has this: CD AutoRun is a program I (not mikmik)wrote which pops up a splash screen that you design when someone inserts your CD in their computer. This program is for people who master/burn/write their own CDs. It is very customisable and allows you to have buttons with normal, mouseover and mousedown states. You can also customise the sounds for the start of the program (when the CD gets inserted), when buttons are moved over (you can have an individual sound per button), and when buttons are pressed

JMac
11-04-2003, 06:43 PM
Mikmik - {looking up, down and all around - no email} Now where did I tell it to send my emails?
The newfreeware site does have some backgrounds to use for powerpoint for Mac or PC. Pretty ones, too! :-)
The timeless site has a pretty great free software that will do what I want - from and for use on a PC.

Thank you again, Mikmik - it was great to be able to post a question here, knowing an answer would come flying my way (at the speed of a birdie!) right away.
Vantopolis, eh? I've never heard that one. I thought it was the Gibsons' equivalent of The Beachcombers... I just saw a reference to the Beachcombers somewhere here on WPW. It's a small world after all...

Thanks again!

JMac

mikmik
11-04-2003, 06:49 PM
I'm glad that you found something that is usefull.
I also found out that once I learn Director - IM GONNA BE RICH!
Some companies are charging up to $10,000 US for a package dealy of those eBusiness cards ! Forsooth!

JMac
11-04-2003, 07:07 PM
Believe me - I am not, by any stretch of anyone's imagination, charging 10 grand for this type of project.
I'd need to hire some more sales-type person to do that - then I'd have to charge more, so I could pay the sales person and on it would go.... and then <poof> I AM microsoft. {Evil sideshow Bob style cackle}

I'm supposed to be teaching someone Macromedia next week. How different from the Adobe suite can it be, right?

JMac

matauri
11-04-2003, 07:57 PM
Why not make it as a gallery on a HTML document & have it on autorun.

Details on how to do it are here...
http://www.startertool.com/en/en_tutorial.html

Cindy

rocky1
11-04-2003, 10:08 PM
No need to learn anything MikMik, you just got to come stateside and get in on government contracts.
I was going to send you a URL, but it appears they have taken the site down now!

That one would have truly amazed you Mik! It was a website to post progress of road construction on a major City thoroughfare here in ND. It was all straight html, about 12 pages worth of text explaining the project, finances and such, after which it was strictly updates and pictures, I presume released by the highway department or their engineer one, since the updates read very similar to news articles released in the local paper.

Reported price tag was in excess of the $20,000 US for the site and $100,000 US for the updates they copied and pasted to an html page!!!

I and another webmaster I know here both figured it was worth maybe $250! He raised more than a little stink with our head of highways too!

Rocky

JMac
11-08-2003, 08:36 PM
Just wanted to thank you all again for the help.

I sent both of those links to myself at the PC - although now that I think of it - I could have just navigated here and clicked on the links that way... d'oh!

Matauri and MikMik - thank you again for that research.

Rocky - thanks for telling me I should have charged more. :-(

Have a great weekend!

JMac

Ruth Compfriend
11-11-2003, 01:01 AM
Hello all,

I just have to say that it's really encouraging to find so many people willing to help each other out! I'm new to web business & the general "stress-haze" of being a new entrepreneur is kinda getting to me lately... Just "hearing" you all work together helping to solve other people's problems where you can is lovely. Hopefully I can add (intelligently) to the forums here... eventually!

Take care,

~Ruth~

rocky1
11-11-2003, 01:29 AM
Hopefully I can add (intelligently) to the forums here... eventually!

In the meantime.... you could join us over that Today's Today thread in the Breakroom. One does not have to act even remotely intelligent there, it's simply about having fun! And, seeing who can be the most outrageous.

Welcome aboard Ruth!

Rocky

matauri
11-11-2003, 07:09 AM
I thought we were contenders for a 'pulitzer prize' over there Rocky ;-)

Cindy

rocky1
11-11-2003, 09:29 AM

I'm sure we must be! And, if not we're bound to win a prize for attendance there! I don't think we have to worry any Nobel Peace Prize there however, our work is not quite up to those standards. Close.... but not quite.

Rocky

EdRust
11-11-2003, 12:16 PM
yes you can include the powerpt player on a bus card size cd along with a decent size presentation and make it auto-play. BUT qtime may still be the easiest if the pres. gets very large and you still want to fit it on biz card size cd. You could also set to auto-run the end users brouser and launch an html object in it, just do not include any code requireing server side stuff unless you intend them to have to connect to the internet to view it.

JMac
11-11-2003, 01:02 PM
Hi EdRust -

I have powerpoint on the PC - does it include a player that I can burn?
How do I set to auto-launch the end-users browser?
The presentation is now complete - it's part Quicktime and part HTML files - can I autolaunch the HTML index page?

And - the BIG question - can I burn these on my Mac and still set to autorun on a PC? (I can finish developing on the PC but it will all end up here on the Mac since that's where the cd burner is hooked up.)

Thanks for all your help people!

JMac

EdRust
11-11-2003, 01:21 PM
select pack and go from the powerpoint File menu and it will add the powerpoint viewer for you.

How many cd's does your customer want?
Not advertising here! but I have a cd tower and can burn quite a few in a short turnaround if you need some help. I am not much into mac's since finishing college, but clearly recall options to format discs in both mac os and pc formats I assumethis applies to cd's as well but it has been ten yrs since graduation and cd burning was pretty cutting edge back then. I do know that when I duplicate cd's on my tower it copies just the optical on/off dots so it does not know or care whether or not it is for a pc or a mac.

I have run a few for a friend with both pc and mac files on the same cd and he reported to me that they worked ok on his mac, and I verified they worked ok on my pc.

EdRust
11-11-2003, 01:25 PM
oh I missed the other part of your question, with out a developers packageing tool like VB or MS Office developers edition, probobly the little autostart package mentioned by someone? Cindy? earlier in the thread would be the easiest way out.

JMac
11-11-2003, 01:42 PM
A million thank you's again - and thanks EdRust for the offer - she only wants to start with 5 CDs - she's sending them out to jewelry stores that she wants to pick her up as opposed to using them for retail promotion of her line.

I'll let you know how it goes!

JMac

carju1
11-11-2003, 01:51 PM

I'm sure we must be! And, if not we're bound to win a prize for attendance there! I don't think we have to worry any Nobel Peace Prize there however, our work is not quite up to those standards. Close.... but not quite.

Rocky

We may get an OSCAR for 'most realistic cast' in a remake of clockwork orange

Julian

matauri
11-11-2003, 05:45 PM
I remember that film....LOL...you could be right Julian ;-)

Makes ya wonder the kind of people who become IT professionals hey :-)

Cindy