PDA

View Full Version : Sendmail spamassin and spf

netman4ttm
06-23-2004, 11:25 AM
After, getting buried in spam. We are builting a new e-mail server. We have decided on sendmail plus spamassin plus spf.

Average spam 6000 per day plus 500 real e-mail. Ten e-mail accounts.

Currently, e-mail processing is being done on a 1.4 P4 with 1 gig ram 18 gig raid 5 fixed drive.

I am guessing that I will need more power.

Anyone, have any experience with spamassin and spf?

What does it take to make this work?

Also, what is the effect on a name server? Do I need a lot of horse power on the BIND side of this formula.?

HardCoded
06-24-2004, 09:05 PM
Hi. I run Project Gamera on a Celeron 333 with 384MB RAM to handle roughly twice the volume of spam and ham...maybe a little more. It handles it perfectly, though loads do tend to go over 100% sometimes, it all seems to balance out over time. It's neat, because you just direct all your mail through it before it gets to your real POP box, by changing your MX records.

It uses SpamAssassin, Razor and ClamAV to filter mail. You can (of course) make it delete high-scoring spam before it ever gets to your real mail server, and mark probable spam with [SPAM] or whatever in the subject line so your mail client can deal with it.

You set it up with a clean, minimal install of RH9 then install yum, configure yum, and run
yum install gamera
Done. Then you configure it by simple edits on three files. Pretty cool.

PLUS, you can have more than one of these little servers running just by playing with MX records.

I also use a BIND cache on its localhost, so it handles that all by its own self too. In fact, it just sits there and runs, I never notice it's there, and it keeps loads off my real server. And, without doing more than I have described above, it's cut our spam by 1/10 with no reported false positives.

Anyway, I think you'll be fine with the power you have, is the whole point of this. If you'd like more on the Gamera thing I'll post a link. Maybe PM me cuz I don't check this forum too often.