PDA

View Full Version : Selling question.... help

Rob_W
06-13-2004, 08:02 PM
I have come across domains for sale on eBay on other sites that are sold for less than register fees... are these owners just moving them to rid themselves of mistakes?

I have noticed Transfer fees being included in some... is this where they make up the $'s? Are transfers Fees common?

Thanks

ROB

Linda Buquet
06-14-2004, 12:51 PM
Hi Rob,

I think typically when you see someone selling domains for $10 or so, they are cleaning out their collection of names that have not sold so they don't have to pay reg. for the next year. That gives them capital to buy more new names they think may have a better chance of selling. Not sure about the transfer fees.

Think about being at the end of year of owning a bunch of domains that have not moved - let's say you have 20 of them. Do you want to pay around 180 to re-register the same old names or would you rather sell them and keep the money OR re-invest in new names that may do better?

Think of it like unsold store inventory. Move it at fire sale prices so you can invest in new inventory.

bhartzer
06-14-2004, 01:01 PM
Catalyst is right, they're most likely moving domains that they couldn't sell. I wouldn't pay any transfer fees, though.

imvain2
06-14-2004, 02:15 PM
When people sell domains on eBay alot of times they are starting the auction on the minimum they will take, but WANT people to bid higher. A high majority of the time they don't want to actually get that low amount for the domain. So basically for the most part Catalyst is right, except that that $$ amount is just a starting price and not the final price.

As for the transfer Fees, for those of us who have been in this game for awhile. We remember back in the day when the registar's actually charged for transferring the domain to a new registrant even though the domain was staying at the same Registar. Network Solutions used to charge $35. Transfer fees come around for one of two reasons:

1). The seller values their time and when transferring domains with some registars, it isn't a fast thing to do.

2). Or the seller wants to make sure they get some kind of profit out of the domain. (When I was big on selling I used to charge $5, because I had to go and fill out a long form to transfer the domain name)

xmx
06-14-2004, 05:32 PM
If I can give you a suggestion this is to
try to develop domains with good websites
as this will surely increase both the value
and the chances to sell.

Only trading domains without developping
them can be a tough work.