PDA

View Full Version : domain name is not important

arpecop
05-15-2004, 06:50 PM
I think that domain name is not important ... and search results show that probabbly domain is important more than name of documents but this is just SEO in fact always top ranked sites have strange adresses but easy to remember ... to buy domain like keword1keyword2koeword3.com is way if you don't have many time to work on your site ... maybe good start but not enough ... keep in mind that - do you looking just for few deluded klicks or to make something user friendly site

sorry for bad english members

benkhoo
05-17-2004, 12:24 PM
Hi,

I beg to differ. I think domain name is still important and it still does play an important role in search engine ranking. The practical side of owning "easy to remember" domain names also is a plus point. Creativity plays a huge role.

Ben

kikkertm
05-18-2004, 11:56 AM
I don't agree either. Many of my customers are return visitors that went looking for a service, encountered my site, looked some more and then returned a day later. a short recognisable domain name will give you more traffic and return visitors over the long run.

As example, if I would find your site, see it's interested and a week later I would like to return I doubt if I could remember http://www.bulgaria-inside.bulgarien-service.com ... (and bookmarking is not my string side either ;-)

xmx
05-19-2004, 11:48 AM
As above.

I believe domains play a very important role.

Also for companies with huge budgets super domains
are a very important (or the most relevant) factor
to internet success.

jestep
05-19-2004, 11:54 AM
I think the domain name is very important, not necissarily highly important in the ranking of the page, but in the validity of the site that you are at. How reputable does a business site look when the url is like: great-computer-products-for-everyone.com vs. something like dell.com. So which is more important to you. Looking like a valid reputable business, or trying to rank well in the search engines. Im going with dell

Linda Buquet
05-19-2004, 12:54 PM
One of the most important reasons to get a great and memorable domain name is to use it as a cushion against the search engine ups and downs. The easier the domain is to remember the more direct type-ins you will get. Of course a great site design and good content plays an important role too. But if they can't remember your name they can't easily get back to you especially if your rankings take a hit.

southplatte
05-20-2004, 03:26 AM
I agree with the cushion agains search engines' ups and downs.

I am currently experimenting in building a local brand with longer than average domain names, but ones that match the business name exactly for the most part. I am attempting to build an offline brand name, that with the awareness the web site name comes naturally since it matches. I am not too concerned with search engine place here at first on them, since I am hitting my local market first and foremost and directly head on. After I see how it goes, I will look at the other.

One domain in particular was a find, southplatte.com, to be used for South Platte Enterprises which is the main partnership for the others listed.. Then there is southplattetech.com for South Platte Technology Systems, southplattetreasures.com for South Platte Treasures, and southplattewebdesign.com for South Platte Web Design.

All together, the businesses and domain names compliment each other, and I am attempting to build an online community in a small rural area that has lagged technologically for quite some time. The domain name selection to me was important based upon brand recognition in my local market (small rural towns along the South Platte River in the lower South Platte Valley).

The names anywhere else are probably worth less than the cost to register them. Generally North Platte and South Platte are either associated with Nebraska or Colorado mountains, neither of which I am located (Colorado yes, mountains no, almost Nebraska yes).

Just another take on importance of domain names.

TLDTrader.com
05-21-2004, 11:04 PM
Domain names are important. Although, it should not be the sole determining factor of a web site's success. Short, descriptive names are easier to remember. And there's a higher rate of type-ins.